New Garage

Looks fantastic! Jealous, in a good way.
When walking from house to garage in January, walk in the deep snow next to icy path. Avoid walking on ice. Order something like these now https://www.rei.com/product/760280/yaktrax-walkers-traction-system. There are various types but this style is inexpensive, easy to use, and can transfer from one pair of shoes/boots to another pair easily. Won't tear up carpet when you forget you're wearing them either.
Looking forward to more pics.
Thanks for the link. Already ordered two pairs!

Reactions: 555
Beautiful garage! Enjoy. Great choice on roof...couldn't use that on our garage due to the neighborhood norms and HOA.

long term plan is a place in VT and South for the Winter...beautiful state.

Hint from when we did ours; put additional outlets in the ceiling for retractable extension cords, drop lights, etc. You'll appreciate the convenience. One over each bay and the centerlines. I also wish I had installed air piping early on.

Last edited:
Windows doors and stairs oh my. :)
1607027916524.jpg

1607027967831.jpg

Getting closer to completion but unfortunately the siding is still a week or more away from delivery.

I suspect that there are a few of you that are curious about the cost of this project. It's not a big secret and I am willing to share it if there is interest.

Like this post if you're interested in seeing the cost breakdown of our garage project.
Actually I’m interested in doing something just like this . We were going to do it this Fall but saw those Plague prices on the lumber. the one big difference when I do mine is a 10’ wall and an 8’ center door with a drive through out the back. The high door is nice for high things like trucks and boats on a trailer ect. You’re going to love that steel roof. Snow doesn’t stick well and if it does it slides off easily . If you can’t reach it all no worries the rest should follow by itself in a day or two.
Just a quick warning on THAT OTHER unspoken plague that haunts this region. Beware the dreaded Deer tick! They seemed to stay South until around 2003-2005 but they are up here almost everywhere. The best thing we’ve seen for keeping the animals from bringing them in the house is a Sorresto Collar. We have find 3-5 a season on the cats now instead of 2-5 a day sometimes In the past. Strangely Lyme disease remains mostly unnoticed while it’s not uncommon in people who live around here Leaving many of them a train wreck because they fail to get treatment initially. Most folks I know never even knew they’d had a tick on them. Handling / clearing downed brush, tall grass ect are the worst places for them. Best advice is if you get a persistent itch don’t just scratch it look at it. If You find one tweezer it off alcohol the site and save it in a jar for testing in case you start feeling flue symptoms ect.
Here’s a great info site on the little monsters showing how to live and deal with them. Notice that you can permytherin soak clothes let dry and the repellent effect lasts several washings. It’s cheap at Tractor Supply in the horse section of the store. Keep it away from cats until it dries it will kill them.

Finally.

This thread certainly dragged out longer than I had anticipated but the garage has now been completed. Here it is ready for siding.
1610560630308.png

Then we had to endure an epic snow storm the week before Christmas.
1610560705357.png

We dug ourselves out of the snow.
1610560792852.png

The vinyl siding was finally delivered and installed. Here is the upstairs.
1610560919135.png

A few shots of the completed exterior.
1610560996938.png

1610561039217.png

1610561076287.png

The garage cost more and took longer than we thought it would. For those interested, the initial excavation was $10,600 and the site grading with sure pack was another $2000. The construction with the slab, vinyl siding, metal roof, and full staricase upgrades came to $41,600.

So the project cost came in a at little over 54K without utilities and we still have some grading work to be done in the spring. Our initial budget was 50k so we exceeded that by a bit and it would have been much cheaper a year or two ago but nobody could have anticipated how crazy 2020 was going to be.

Last edited:
Loved the thread - thanks for sharing your journey with us.

My wife and I are "half-backs". Grew up in WI, worked in TX, retiring in MO.

We both hate Houston summers (which are basically 6 months long) and she always hated WI winters (I loved them). So southern MO was a decent compromise for us.

Great. Wish I could hurry up and build my own garage my basement is way overcrowded with my stuff 😆. I can’t even put the stand base on my grinder because it makes it too wide to fit in the corner. I’m working on making my carport a garage but I hate the cold so that is waiting a while plus we have no where to put the stuff that is under there so that is a problem too.

I guess that I wasn't done after all! Although technically not part of the garage, we had our driveway paved a few weeks ago and it just seems to complete the project. We had initially gone with a sort of packed gravel that they call sure-pac but we weren't happy with it.

The asphalt is great so far and it won't wash out after heavy rain or spring snow melt.
1626613156437.jpg

1626613186865.jpg

That’s a lot of asphalt! That will be so much nicer than gravel. Easier to deal with snow, looks nicer and keeps the vehicles cleaner.

Back