New Garage

I would have poured the walls. He has no rebar coming up now through slab. Who knows I tend to overbuild due to past observations like you. Another thing I don't understand is it appears no visqueen was under the wire mesh? It must be a Northern thing? We normally treat soil, visqueen, mesh, then pour. I see rock under the mesh which I believe is frost issue and movement. We used pea gravel here for areas we couldn't obtain compaction on the soil.

Keep the pictures coming!

Hi and thanks for the feed back. You obviously have construction experience and I appreciate your input. I don't really have a close up pic prior to the pour but I believe that this one shows the rebar and the visqueen.

If you see faults, please don't hesitate to point them out.
1599497398542.png

Last edited:
You might want to pour an apron in front of the garage so you can work on stuff easily once the garage inevitably fills up. Plus it keeps the dirt down.

We are probably going with asphalt in front of the garage but that will be next year. My budget for this year is toast.

Reactions: JTK
I pretty much maxed out my space here. The wife doesn't want to move so I can build bigger stuff so I have to compromise and become more efficient with space. Have to clean up the space. The only thing to add is to come up with plans for storage, electrical, etc.. You can never have enough outlets. If you can swing it put in a mini split.

I designed and built my detached using Google Sketchup back in 2012, Fun times. I think it took the same amount of time to build the garage as it did the house.

We are still at least a couple of weeks away from the start of construction. With the concrete slab just sitting there, I thought it might be a good time to apply some concrete sealer.

I prefer solvent based paints and sealers over water based because they seem to hold up better over time and just personal preference. But Vermont has some pretty stringent environmental laws and the only sealers available at our local retail stores were water based. I contacted the concrete company that did our pour and they were able to sell me a 5 gallon pail of solvent based sealer.

They told me that it could be sealed as soon a as all of the bleed water had dissipated so I had a go at it!
1599692438742.png

1599692611499.jpg

Looks great.

Although I do find it a little odd to leave Florida and then retire to snow-country? Usually it's the other way around.

Doesn't look like they cut the slab? Its too late now. That sealer should help. They didn't do a relief or 3/4 or 1 inch where the garage doors are going? Actually looking at it they pitched it at the garage doors? Correct? Looking good keep posting. Cure time is important before loading up the slab so thats good.

Doesn't look like they cut the slab? Its too late now. That sealer should help. They didn't do a relief or 3/4 or 1 inch where the garage doors are going? Actually looking at it they pitched it at the garage doors? Correct? Looking good keep posting. Cure time is important before loading up the slab so thats good.

Are "cut the slab" and "do a relief" the same thing?
1599749729762.jpg

Reactions: JTK
It does seem odd they didn't hand-trowel or saw cut any reliefs, but maybe that's standard affair for garage slabs? I've had concrete patios done and they always troweled in reliefs and luckily any cracking I have is just in them.

Truss is designed for attic storage. You putting a floor in the attic?
Absolutely.
The main center area will be 16x24 and of course there will be additional storage on either side. We are also getting the optional full staircase instead of the standard pull down stairs although they will take up a bit more space.

Last edited:
We have obviously experienced more delays. Lumber that was ordered months ago has arrived bit by bit. There was a delay with the windows as well and we went with different style and size simply because they were available.

But all of the stuff is finally here and construction has commenced.

1604529781650.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
We have obviously experienced more delays. Lumber that was ordered months ago has arrived bit by bit. There was a delay with the windows as well and we went with different style and size simply because they were available.

But all of the stuff is finally here and construction has commenced.

View attachment 33224
Have lumber prices gone up in your area? I was in home Depot recently and an 8ft 2*4 was over $7 each.

Have lumber prices gone up in your area? I was in home Depot recently and an 8ft 2*4 was over $7 each.
Yes. Prices and availability of lumber and building supplies have been an issue nationwide.

Reactions: JC1
Back