New Furnace question.

Time for a new furnace. Are there any pros/cons to a one stage versus a two stage furnace? Is Bryant a decent brand? Is 96% efficiency good for a modern furnace? I seem to recall going for super high efficiency had some downsides, perhaps longevity. TIA.

Two stage is typically more efficient as it does not short cycle in moderate conditions.

What size house? a 2stage is more comfortable.
my 95% efficient furnace is still going strong at 12 years.
total cost in gas for december (jan bill) $19 including tax and delivery (not included 44$ connection fee)

Single stage will be easier and cheaper to repair. The efficiency gained by a two stage will be more then wiped out on your first repair.

IMO 2 stage isnt really about efficiency its about run time and comfort.

Time for a new furnace. Are there any pros/cons to a one stage versus a two stage furnace? Is Bryant a decent brand? Is 96% efficiency good for a modern furnace? I seem to recall going for super high efficiency had some downsides, perhaps longevity. TIA.
The only pro is that a single stage is cheaper and it will always push the required amount of air through the existing duct system. A 2-stage system is going to be more efficient but a lot is going to depend on whether the multi-stage blower motor can push enough air at the lowest speed. It's just going to depend on the design of your duct system.

96% is about the best you can get for nat gas. Just make sure the system can move the exhaust gases as it contains a lot of water vapor. You don't want the water vapor condensing on the inner walls of the exhaust pipe and the exhaust gases of a HE furnace are much cooler vs a low-efficiency furnace.

96% is about the best you can get for nat gas. Just make sure the system can move the exhaust gases as it contains a lot of water vapor. You don't want the water vapor condensing on the inner walls of the exhaust pipe and the exhaust gases of a HE furnace are much cooler vs a low-efficiency furnace.
afaik they want a direct power vent for those.. not even a stainless chimney liner.

Watch the video below before you decide to purchase a new system. Also, there are many other Word of Advice videos on HVAC pros & cons on YouTube. The technician, Jay, is very technically savvy on HVAC and appliance repairs. American Standard/Trane units top the reliabilty surveys, followed closely by Carrier/Bryant; however, the quality of the installation is paramount.

afaik they want a direct power vent for those.. not even a stainless chimney liner.
The HE 96%+ plus condensing furnace's exhaust system will normally be replaced with 3" o.d. schedule 40 PVC piping to avoid corrosion issues. The exhaust gasses are typically <130 degrees F and some will drain back into the air handling unit's condensation tray during the coldest days. It is strange to see condensation water freeze upon draining outdoors on sub-freezing days.

The HE 96%+ plus condensing furnace's exhaust system will normally be replaced with 3" o.d. schedule 40 PVC piping to avoid corrosion issues. The exhaust gasses are typically
yep I have one... well a 95%

Did I mention it came with the house.. and was run for 1.25 years with the exhaust not being glued.
yeah I reached up during home inspection and the pipe twisted and fell apart.(home inspector missed it)

Last edited:
It's best to consult with a few HVAC professionals. Then they can do an overall check of your home layout, ductwork, windows etc. to match up the appropriate system.
The problem with a very high efficient system is that the savings which were utilized during the warranty period are soon lost when an expensive part fails out of warranty.

I hope the OP doesn't mind but what are the costs involved? My furnace is 18 years old, Amana, nothing fancy. has a 3" steel vent to the roof. Cooling coil and outdoor condensing unit. If I was to replace this system with a more modern system utilizing the existing duct, what are ballpark replacement costs for lower and higher efficiency systems?

I hope the OP doesn't mind but what are the costs involved? My furnace is 18 years old, Amana, nothing fancy. has a 3" steel vent to the roof. Cooling coil and outdoor condensing unit. If I was to replace this system with a more modern system utilizing the existing duct, what are ballpark replacement costs for lower and higher efficiency systems?
you would probably need a plastic pipe direct vent for anything 95%+
you dont list your current system specs so no one can give you accurate figures.

Overkill's 2 stage 120k btu furnace in a big house is different than my 1150sqft 60k installation.
would also need the AC size in Tons or btu.

My current gas bill is 19$ for delivery tax and consumption and 44$ for gas connection charge.
so if mine self destructs unless there is a massive price evening rebate.. I'll be going 80%

What efficiency is your current furnace and what is your gas bill like for heating. I will never make any money back on my 95% vs 80%
Easiest way is to take a summer gas bill and subtract it from one of the bigger winter gas bills if you have other gas appliances.--this isnt perfect but gets you in the range.

Last edited:
My parents finally broke down and purchased a Goodman furnace through Amazon as the ckowns in Colorado were (and still are) marking up furnaces to an unbelievable cost. Really high efficiency furnaces from my understanding need a condensation line, and it should be ran through something to neutralize the water, as I was told it can be acidic. Secondly I think Bryant is on the low end but not bad. Most companies own "three different brands " i.e. high medium and low end. Make sure whatever you buy make sure it has access panels for easy repairs. Third don't under any circumstances purchase a heil brand. My friend works for his cousin in hvac and apparently Heil won't sell you parts just a number of a repair company.

you would probably need a plastic pipe direct vent for anything 95%+
you dont list your current system specs so no one can give you accurate figures.

Overkill's 2 stage 120k btu furnace in a big house is different than my 1150sqft 60k installation.
would also need the AC size in Tons or btu.

My current gas bill is 19$ for delivery tax and consumption and 44$ for gas connection charge.
so if mine self destructs unless there is a massive price evening rebate.. I'll be going 80%

What efficiency is your current furnace and what is your gas bill like for heating. I will never make any money back on my 95% vs 80%
Easiest way is to take a summer gas bill and subtract it from one of the bigger winter gas bills if you have other gas appliances.
The outside unit is 3.5 tons. Don't remember the inside furnace btu. Originally the finished space was 2600SF but I have since finished the basement so another 2600SF. The duct and registers were pre-installed. I imagine the furnace is 80% efficient. My natural gas bill is fixed at $113 total per month and I can use as much as I want. The whole house is gas, water heater, stove, dryer, fireplace. My compressor started acting up some last summer. The two quotes I received for just the outside system, inside coil and charge was $6k+
I don't know the life of the furnace but If I am going to be making a major, disruptive investment.....it also seems the latest systems use some new type of refrigerant. R22 not supported anymore, R134 going away and something new being used now.

The outside unit is 3.5 tons. Don't remember the inside furnace btu. Originally the finished space was 2600SF but I have since finished the basement so another 2600SF. The duct and registers were pre-installed. I imagine the furnace is 80% efficient. My natural gas bill is fixed at $113 total per month and I can use as much as I want. The whole house is gas, water heater, stove, dryer, fireplace.
is that a budget that changes yearly or what.. I've never heard of unlimited gas but WY is different. :unsure:
If you have unlimited gas there would be no reason to get more than an 80% eff.

is that a budget that changes yearly or what.. I've never heard of unlimited gas but WY is different. :unsure:
If you have unlimited gas there would be no reason to get more than an 80% eff.
Unregulated market, multiple companies vie for your account. They offer 1 year and two year fixed contracts along with pass on, and other per btu etc plans.,

Third don't under any circumstances purchase a heil brand. My friend works for his cousin in hvac and apparently Heil won't sell you parts just a number of a repair company:

Very interesting comment, I have a Heil Furnace 90 and get my parts at Supply House.com

Unregulated market, multiple companies vie for your account. They offer 1 year and two year fixed contracts along with pass on, and other per btu etc plans.,
Then I would go with a 80% efficient furnace. I like my 2 stage more comfortable in the house not that hot cold feeling with a single stage definitely worth the money. I would pay attention picking out a good installer then the equipment. You can get the best equipment with a bad installation and your going to be miserable. Decent equipment great installation your going to be extremely happy/comfortable with no breakdowns.

So...an 80% efficient heating system with a cooling coil and external compressor of about 3.5-4.5 tons should cost about what installed? Name brand.

Back