Recall reading that the media in The Tuffguard filter was
better/upgraded over the Extra.

With blends and synthetic oils becoming more popular if not
required (GM), they had to make this filter usable for the
mass markets. Many buy the cheaper filters not knowing the difference
that might be inside them.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I will start buying these, instead of the Ultra and Tough Guard. I change my oil every 6-7K anyways and the flow will be higher than the other Frams.

What makes you think flow will be better than the other Frams?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I will start buying these, instead of the Ultra and Tough Guard. I change my oil every 6-7K anyways and the flow will be higher than the other Frams.

Probably came to that incorrect conclusion due to the EG filter having lower efficiency, which doesn't necessarily mean it has better flow.

All that talk about 20 microns on the package and it is stated anywhere I see what the new and improve efficiency or the mileage rating is. Does Fram think they can just hit us with some new Bovine Showers?

Originally Posted By: Tony10s

Probably came to that incorrect conclusion due to the EG filter having lower efficiency, which doesn't necessarily mean it has better flow.

That makes sense Tony. Agreed that high efficiency doesn't automatically mean more flow restriction (higher delta-p).

On the flow values - Wix provides the flow rate specifications for their filters. I couldn't find the same information available from Fram. Anyone have a link to that information?

Originally Posted By: newtoncd8
On the flow values - Wix provides the flow rate specifications for their filters. I couldn't find the same information available from Fram. Anyone have a link to that information?

The "max GPM flow" spec from WIX is pretty meaningless if it doesn't have an associated delta-p and oil viscosity. It could be the filter's max flow at the point the by-pass valve starts to open with hot oil, but I've never seen that explained anywhere by WIX.

What you really need to compare filter flow performance is "flow vs delta-p" data, all compared with the same oil viscosity.

I think Honda USA should be concerned their OES filter made by Fram is worse than a Fram EG. You would think someone at Fram would know they make the OES filters. Which means the box is lying.
laugh.gif

A Fram Extra Guard 6607 I bought at my local Wally World this am.... I was surprised to see it there. The 4967s were out with the silicone ADBV as well. Only these two sizes had it available. But I was glad to get one for my car.

There is no question the box is lying because TRD is an OES (Original Equipment Supplier) filter and it is rated higher than the old EG, as just one example. But they are skating on thin ice if they are advertising Honda and other filters they make for OE are worse than the $3.77 EG. Of course some nit picker will say TRD isn't OES because they don't come on a new car, even though they are sold as an OE part at the dealer.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
There is no question the box is lying because TRD is an OES (Original Equipment Supplier) filter and it is rated higher than the old EG, as just one example. But they are skating on thin ice if they are advertising Honda and other filters they make for OE are worse than the $3.77 EG. Of course some nit picker will say TRD isn't OES because they don't come on a new car, even though they are sold as an OE part at the dealer.
laugh.gif

Yes, the TRD is not "OES". It's Toyota Racing Development parts.

And the TG is more efficient than the OEM/OES Honda and Toyota filters (Amsoil ISO 4548-12 test and graph).

Interesting it lacks any "engineered for" mileage.

Fram warranty is still 1 year from date of purchase or date of installation, but never beyond original engine manufacturer recommendations as posted on Fram's web site. No changes even though Motorking informed us this warranty would be changed when he announced 20K mile rating for the Ultra.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4334839/Searchpage/1/Main/266196/Words/Year/Search/true/Re:_New_M1_filters_at_Walmart_#Post4334839

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

Fram warranty is still 1 year from date of purchase or date of installation, but never beyond original engine manufacturer recommendations as posted on Fram's web site. No changes even though Motorking informed us this warranty would be changed when he announced 20K mile rating for the Ultra.

I don't think any filter maker is going to warranty beyond the OEM use recomendations. Probably only on those cleanable reusable fine metal mesh filters.

So I went back to Walmart to have another look at the box.

There is no mention of efficiency anywhere on the box.

Price remains unchanged. Up here in Canada is $7.75

Originally Posted By: sir1900
So I went back to Walmart to have another look at the box.

There is no mention of efficiency anywhere on the box.

They must be dumbing down the box info. The everyday consumer doesn't know what a micron is.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I think Honda USA should be concerned their OES filter made by Fram is worse than a Fram EG. You would think someone at Fram would know they make the OES filters. Which means the box is lying.
laugh.gif

Aren't most OEM filters are inferior to aftermarket filters, usually being less efficient?

How is it lying?

The omission of data you could have used to make an informed consumer decision rather they are counting on a new box and hype is an ethical Bovine Scat move!

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

I don't think any filter maker is going to warranty beyond the OEM use recomendations. Probably only on those cleanable reusable fine metal mesh filters.

I'd say you're mistaken.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranti...filter-warranty

The 3 remaining M1-212 filters in my stash for my wife's Mustang are guaranteed for 15K miles when used with synthetic oil. Ford requires an oil change at 10K miles max in the owner's manual.

If they were M1-212A filters, they'd be guaranteed for 15K miles if used with M1 EP oil or 20K miles if used with M1 AP oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back