new Ford Fusion Hybrid --1st oil change???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I have a new 2010 FFH and I absolutely love this automobile. In a moment of stupidity at the dealership I bought the maintenance plan for the car...oil changes every 10 k I think and tire rotation and such. I have 1200 miles on the car and was wondering about changing the oil myself now because of new engine break-in and what not. any opinions? btw I'm a mobil one guy...viscosity choice for the new car??? Thanks so much....

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about break in as I feel todays modern car engine making process is a lot different than yesterdays. I would though do what your doing by draining all the machineing oil and lube that they use to assemble the engine. Get that out. I would use Mobil 1 0w20. Thats what I use in my wifes Escape Hybrid. It loves it. I live in the south and 0w20 is a perfect combination. As it warms up and gets to peak operating temperature very quickly. I also use 0w30 in my Subaru Forester. Both cars are 2009 model cars. You cant go wrong with the 0w grades. You even see a little mileage increase to boot.

I would wait until at least 3,000 miles, then use either the Mobil 1 0W-20 or 5W-20 and change per Ford recommendations. If you bought the maintenance plan, just take your Mobil 1 to the dealer with you. Use their labor and filter.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I would wait until at least 3,000 miles, then use either the Mobil 1 0W-20 or 5W-20 and change per Ford recommendations. If you bought the maintenance plan, just take your Mobil 1 to the dealer with you. Use their labor and filter.

What? Mobil 1?? Well it does seem to be fine in my Duratechs.
19.gif

Last edited:
Well, he did say he was a Mobil 1 guy.

I know, but.
57.gif

Last edited:

I too would hold off until at least 3,000 miles before you change it.

We currently have two new vehicles and that is what we will do.

3,000 miles, change with recommended vis oil of your choice. I would have Edge, PP on my list. (Though Mobil 1 would work fine). 0W-20 would be my pick.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
3,000 miles, change with recommended vis oil of your choice. I would have Edge, PP on my list. (Though Mobil 1 would work fine). 0W-20 would be my pick.

M1 might cause his engine to
57.gif

Last edited:
If you bought the maintenance plan why waste more money?

If Ford says wait til 10k miles than you do just that. If you are really anxious I'd wait till at least 5k miles.

Truth is the I4 in their isn't used as hard as it is in a normal car. No idling away, no stop & go. It is doing most of the work on the highway.

Originally Posted By: tig1

57.gif

tig1, what are you doing? Trying to mess with our minds?

I would change it at around 1k miles. Even with modern manufacturing techniques, there is still a lot of initial wear-in going on.

If you're going to to UOAs and want clean, quick data, then a few short OCI flushes will accelerate the process.

If you're just interested in taking good care of the car, it does not hurt to do one (relatively short) OCI somewhere between 1k to 3k miles, then stick with the OEM schedule at the next "regular" interval.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
I would change it at around 1k miles. Even with modern manufacturing techniques, there is still a lot of initial wear-in going on.

Which is what metal sprinkles in oil?

I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: tig1

57.gif

tig1, what are you doing? Trying to mess with our minds?

I'm in one of those moods today! Feel like horsein around.
18.gif

Last edited:
Dealer changed my '10 Fusion Hybrid's oil at 6 months and about 4500 miles. Used MC Synthetic 5W-20 and MC filter.

Last edited:
If you are second-guessing your purchase of the Maintenance Plan, you might be able to back out of it. I've backed out of an extended warranty before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back