New Features discovered in XP SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to do things in SP3 for Windows XP like putting the firewall for Windows Vista in there and making XP more secure without making it resource heavy like Windows Vista.

The only real problem with Windows XP is security. And you want to be able to have built-in DVD operation. Perhaps a little bit better appearance but not resource heavy.

Eventually Windows Vista will replace for the most part XP. But XP is still being used and still being sold to some extent. For example, in my MacZone catalog of all places, they have Windows XP work stations for sale. Dell work station computers running Windows XP. These work stations are intended for people using Windows rather than Mac OS X for graphics work. And they are still selling Windowx XP Professional installed on these work stations.

Probably safe staying with XP, They are still trying to get Vista to copy files correctly.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=829

Quote:

These don’t have to be large files and the problem can also occur when copying smaller groups of files that in total exceed 16,400 files between reboots. Following the “Out of Memory” message a range of other errors can occur such as menus and tabs disappearing within the Windows environment and even reboots and BSODs are reported.

The hotfix for that error is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942435/en-us

Since it's not based in explorer.exe I wonder if using the old WinFile.exe (FileManager) application will display the same out of memory error ??

However, don't get your file performance wishes up too high:
"While there are still other file handling problems in Vista, such as selecting large numbers of files (~1,500) cause serious spiking in memory usage (that is not released until reboot), hopefully one by one these issues will be addressed (SP1 maybe … the current beta doesn’t fix these issues). Maybe then Vista users can feel as confident handling their data as when they were XP users."

Shouldn't the garbage collection process free up those 4K pages in memory? Seems like someone forgot to do that *before* it was released to the public.

Quote:

Probably safe staying with XP, They are still trying to get Vista to copy files correctly.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=829

Quote:

These don’t have to be large files and the problem can also occur when copying smaller groups of files that in total exceed 16,400 files between reboots. Following the “Out of Memory” message a range of other errors can occur such as menus and tabs disappearing within the Windows environment and even reboots and BSODs are reported.

I think this is part of Vista:
wink.gif

personal-data-breaker.jpg

A lot of people here are saying that Vista has problems with file copying. I wonder if Apple will have problems because it is my understanding that they are going to a new file system in Leopard.

I hope Apple doesn't go to XFS just yet. It's not a fully baked solution for the masses.

My understanding is that they'll offer XFS, but the default file system will be HFS+ for the forseeable future.

The story I have heard is that they will use XFS in Leopard. We should find out pretty soon because the release date for Leopard apparently will be late October of this year. I think I heard this at either ThinkSecret or Apple Insider. Some people say that the new file system is great but others seem to be wary.

Apple says there are 300 improvements in Leopard over Tiger. It looks to me like they have some good improvements in security, including some stuff that is used in Windows Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back