The Dragon who sold his Camaro: Analyzing custom router implant

That makes me want to rush out and buy some TP-LINK HARDWARE ASAP! /sarcasm.

Or you could take your toiletpaper link router and repurpose it as a WAP behind a new unifi cloud gateway ultra ($129)
Sold out yet again :(
Probably available for twice the price on Amazon.
I think this device is the ideal replacement for those of us who started with CloudKey and the USG-3P. Unfortunately I can't seem to get one.

Sold out yet again :(
Probably available for twice the price on Amazon.
I think this device is the ideal replacement for those of us who started with CloudKey and the USG-3P. Unfortunately I can't seem to get one.
yeah you cant snooze. they stay in stock usually less than 6 hours.. sneaker bots and graphics card bots have moved over to unifi gear ;)
Their notification email doesnt work. you either dont get one.. or its after they are back out of stock.

I just check randomly.. left the page open on phone and I hit it a few times a day, before bed, when I get up at 4am etc.
Its proven successful 2x now 🥴.

Personally I have felt TP link is vastly overrated company. Great reviews because of price however early failures, lockups and trouble trying to get their “highly rated” routers working correctly was enough. All in trash about $500 worth. Spending hours chasing a problem not worth it.

Bought a Google WiFi mesh and never happier. It just works although it seems dated as top speed is about 400 Mbps on network with wired backhaul. The speed test on app shows it actually gets 600 Mbps from ISP.
Most of the consumer grade stuff are just veneered over reference design from the chipset they buy. The cheaper the price the less emphasis on quality. The TP Link repeater I have would randomly drop connections and the router would burn my USB SATA adapter after a few months. I think the bigger concern I have is actually their durability and lack of testing rather than router security.

To be fair, nobody does much security in consumer stuff, they just test more in the "better" brands and respond with more frequent bugfixes. The even worse brand than TPL would not even fix bugs and end up with angry customers on reviews, the better brands would at least open some tickets with their vendors and release patches.

CGU back in stock currently
1712701956803.jpg

Back