New Euro blend GC is Green?! *Pictures*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to pick up a few bottles of GC at my local Vatozone. Saw the GC, picked up five bottles. Opened them up, and I see green. I scanned through the 12~ pages of the big Euro GC thread, but I didn't find anything about this. Bottle number is M0687xxxxxxxxx, produced the 87th day of 2006. Is it already known that the new Euro stuff is green?
 -

-

-

-

Woah, I've never heard about this...

Thanks for posting up pictures to clear up any doubtful minds! Awesome first post BTW!

Lets see what everyone else says about this...

hmmmm... I saw some of this new 0w-30 at the local AZ. I was unsure whether I should buy it to create a stash and be able to use GC for a while, or to wait because of fears of inferiority... and as a potential oil to als use in my 04 saab 9-3.

Granted, color doesnt mean much except that dye was added, but between the specs on the castrol site and the color, I get a good feeling, and think that Ill be stocking up!

JMH

I noticed a very slight green tint to this same batch if you get the light on it just right. It isn't nearly as green as the earlier Das Gruen though. John

YESS! i'm not gonna have to ever touch that Gold stuff! currently running grn and was having to face buying Gold for the next time. is Mg and Ca back to the previous levels too?

Don't get to excited yet Mike. As I said above the new gold stuff does show a bit of green in the right light. I'll check the other batch numbers tonight when I get home and may shoot some images for comparison. There is a big difference in the coloration between the earlier green and the gold and I hope I can show this. John

Looks pretty green to me compared to the Gold. Maybe they realized how much everyone loved the Green and went back to that formulation. Where is pscholte?

Did the jugs you purchased contain a cap seal?

Some folks don't like their oils to "age". Perhaps someone secretely exchanged fresh GC oil for old green GC???.... I dunno... just giving you another option for consideration.

As much as I would hope that the new GC would be green - When I went out and got my self some Gold (M053x) I noticed that in the right light it was green and had a family member say "thats some weird green motor oil."
tongue.gif
Showed them some real GC Green and they freaked out.
smile.gif

GC Gold and GC Green in my opinion are very close - I have yet to find the new stuff tho.

THANKS for the pictures! nice first post and Welcome to BITOG!

Checked my local AZ on my way home from work and the only Castrol 0w30 was the euro formula made in Germany.

They also had the Castrol 5w40 and 5w50.

I wonder if my 95 BMW 525i with 127,000 miles can/should use the 0w30 in summer heat or at all. I have always heard older BMW should use heavier oil. I currently use 5w50 castrol

Sorry about the delay, I meant to get this done yesterday.

The comment about the UV is significant as is the fact that the OP shot into the bottle with something other than natural light.

I have seen the effect of looking into the bottle and seeing the green tint of the "Gold", so the OP is not contriving what he saw and shot with his camera.

Here is a shot of four versions of the GC shot in natural light.

http://www.pbase.com/358norma/image/63446807.jpg

From left to right we have M-O4280 (Das Gruen), M-O5336, M-O6044 and the ever popular M-06087. The later three are the so-called "Gold".

I hope that this helps. John

quote:

Originally posted by Coop0129:
...Where is pscholte?

Never fear the Elfemeister is here, but alas, during my recent trip to the Weltmeisterschaft, the Elvish ones said nothing about a return to das Grün. They did offer me some deals on Deutscher und Schweizerischer Fußball jersies that I could not refuse. I have one on (German home jersey) in the pictures in the World Cup thread in the General and Off Topic section.

PS SLX GM was going for $25 a litre in at least one location!

quote:

Originally posted by Russell:
Checked my local AZ on my way home from work and the only Castrol 0w30 was the euro formula made in Germany.

I wonder if my 95 BMW 525i with 127,000 miles can/should use the 0w30 in summer heat or at all. I have always heard older BMW should use heavier oil. I currently use 5w50 castrol

You could safely use a 40 weight in the M50 and since GC 0w30 is near 40 weight it should be fine but I would keep my eye on it incase it starts drinking a bit more. I use Lubro Moly 5w40 in our E36 325is.

quote:

Originally posted by Russell:

I was convinced that GC 0w-30 is good enough to use in my 1992 325is Turbo so I'll recommend it to you without any problems.

CS 5w-50, or a mix or 5w-50 and 0w30, were my second choices but you really can't go wrong when is says Syntec 0w-30 on the front and Made in Germany on the back. 5w-50 has more viscosity modifiers to get the large spread and imo GC is a better overall oil for your application.

I've been running it for the 3000kms I've been turbocharged, so I won't know much for another 4k or so when I get an oil analysis.

If you just turbo'ed it... I think it would be smart to change and analyze a bit earlier to help get a decent baseline quicker. Dont want to overshoot your first OCI on a now much more power dense engine...

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back