New Dishwasher Time AGAIN

We have an 800 series and love it. It’s the one with the recessed handle, which we thought was a little futuristic/non traditional for our old fashioned styled kitchen, but it blends in perfectly and is one less handle that is mismatched between appliances (if you’re into that kind of thing.

We have an 800 series and we purchased my parents a 500 series. Both excellent and would highly recommend. Dishes come out clean and bone dry.

A water softner helps a lot on appliance longevity.

A lot of dishwashers now have the electric and water supply in the back of the washer instead of behind the kickplate on the front. I install several dishwashers per year and sometimes the rear layout is not compatible with some homes.
We installed a softener last year. So yes it ran 6-7 years without. The WP DW was a horrible mess inside when we bought the place. We both were amazed how much soap and hard water crud were inside the thing. Coming from the soap tray was a hard waterfall of crud. Now it's bright shiny stainless. I ran citric acid and vinegar, then I ran baking soda, repeat. Pretty sure this all didn't help the life.

What exactly do you mean by not compatible?

It is done.

First thing I did this AM was install the outlet. I had an old work box, outlet and cover plate. I put it low and horizontal. Easy. Odd there was insulation in an interior wall (other side of the wall is where I sit and type this, my office, well office closet)

Then about 9am the DeWaard and Bode truck rolled in. Two young strong guys, VERY professional and courteous. Took the old one - no charge.

Yep correct model. Everything fine. Secret sauce, often times their website says sold out, a new shipment may have come in that day. I don't want to say we got lucky but I thought it might be awhile.

Install was going along fine, but when I hooked the water up, then turned it on there was a slight leak at the old line street bib compression fitting. No fixing that, so off to the Depot. Yay they had the 6ft WITH new hose bib thingie yay! Hookerated it and no leaks, drain line all good. Plug in.

Some bitcholating about pulling lines through cabinet. The leveling and such with the new designs is 1000% better than the old days Kick plate flap then kick plate was a little floor wraslin'

OK ran the 60 minute cycle. No issues.

Threw some dirty dishes in there.

Lunch. Nap.

TNF.

On our second dishwasher after 20+ years with the first. We decided to add a high-tech adapter on the door along with a professional cleaner.

Attachments

• 16681233234955746136776292341517.jpg
    16681233234955746136776292341517.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 21
We installed a softener last year. So yes it ran 6-7 years without. The WP DW was a horrible mess inside when we bought the place. We both were amazed how much soap and hard water crud were inside the thing. Coming from the soap tray was a hard waterfall of crud. Now it's bright shiny stainless. I ran citric acid and vinegar, then I ran baking soda, repeat. Pretty sure this all didn't help the life.

What exactly do you mean by not compatible?
I have had heating ducts, main waste lines and other not easily moved items in the way when installing rear feed dishwashers from front feed units. Front feed has been the standard for years.

A bit late here but the Yale Appliance guide is an amazing resource. Saw it here sometime in the past and always a nice read to see what they say. Based on over 35,000 of their own service calls and updated every year.

On our second dishwasher after 20+ years with the first. We decided to add a high-tech adapter on the door along with a professional cleaner.

I let my dog lick all the plates for scraps and a treat.

Serious question: Why not just wash dishes by hand, it’s really not that difficult ?

Not many dishes per person / per day….

Serious question: Why not just wash dishes by hand, it’s really not that difficult ?

We both cook a lot. I hate washing by hand. She hates washing by hand. We fill the dishwasher is less than a day.

Ran last night. Perfect.

No doubt they get cleaned better from a disinfection standpoint in the machine, and in most cases considerably less water is used vs hand washing. For me the only reason is it's faster to just load them up and be done with it.

The quote above you nailed it. When it comes to appliances, the simplest ones are best. Why do you think refrigerators from the 1970's will outlive us all? They cool. That's it. Boom. Dishwasher should wash. Heat up and dry. Maybe shred the chicken gristle I left on the plate or something too.
I've watched a bunch of YouTubes on the subject. Seems I saw a common theme--avoid LG and Samsung. Also, same thing, knobs = good, electronic controls = not as good. What did catch my eye was this concept "commercial residential" hahahahahahaha A guy opened one up to see if it were really any better, and it was. We're talking old style washer and dryer where it costs well over $1,000 for the washer, and it looks like it's from 1980. Actually, our dryer is from 1984 (Whirlpool that came with the house) and still going strong!

The math for time spent on washing by hand gets frightful at the 5 year mark much less 10-20.

Same with the water difference between the two methods.

I got better things to do with my time. Like change oil!

our new house (3 years old) came with GE contractor grade appliances, black in color.

Even though the dishwasher is loud, it works fine and I think that less fancy appliances last longer.

I would not go run out and purchase a fancy dishwasher. Ours runs practically every day.

I dump vinegar in with a load once a month, otherwise nothing else for maintenance.

Customer called me...about 5 years ago for a Samsung dishwasher throwing a code. Long story short....The unit has a clear plastic box about the size of a cardboard cig box. Had floating black plastic thingy inside of the clear box...had optic sensors on box and the black thingy would block the optic sensors as the water rose to assigned level. Problem was box was fed by a single 3/8 hose from bottom of pump...box vented on top. Someone put in a dish that had catsup left over that was forced into the box upon starting the dishwasher. So that left the optic sensors ineffective. I cleaned the box and got paid. 2 weeks later got the call...same issue. Installed new whirlpool cheapy that still works like new.

Customer called me...about 5 years ago for a Samsung dishwasher throwing a code. Long story short....The unit has a clear plastic box about the size of a cardboard cig box. Had floating black plastic thingy inside of the clear box...had optic sensors on box and the black thingy would block the optic sensors as the water rose to assigned level. Problem was box was fed by a single 3/8 hose from bottom of pump...box vented on top. Someone put in a dish that had catsup left over that was forced into the box upon starting the dishwasher. So that left the optic sensors ineffective. I cleaned the box and got paid. 2 weeks later got the call...same issue. Installed new whirlpool cheapy that still works like new.
I really like hearing stories from people like you in the industry, but I'm struggling with this one.

OK it was bound to happen. We have never owned a house were we didn't need a new dishwasher. Last house we were on our third.
OC - didn't have one, added one don't remember Maytag I think
Grants Pass - Replaced when remodeled good GE
Lynnwood - Contractor grade died, replaced with GE. Disappointing
Lynden - GE died and replaced with ???
Duvall - Contractor grade died, replaced with cheapie, died then Bosch. Great!
Everson- WP dying. Bosch coming up

Current is a Whirlpool Gold series from ca 2015. I've replaced parts a couple times since April 2021 but new failures (the heating element again) - besides not heating, now seems like the pump is acting up. It's done about everything else wrong in it's death throes except leak........so to preclude that eventuality, Ima bite the bullet.

Which Bosch, current model, do you recommend?

Looking at 500 or 800 series.
I enjoyed my Bosch as well, did need a heating element replacement a couple years in, sold the house before it failed again.

Current model which has been stellar was a Sears store-closing Kenmore Elite stainless tub washer that was like $1800 but I got 35% off that, bringing it inline with what I paid for the Bosch. It’s now 9+ years old and still working like the day I first installed it. Hands down it’s been my best washer purchase ever.

~ 3-4 years old now. IKEA brand dishwasher. IIRC middle of the line version; stainless interior (Vs plastic)... ~$550 I think. Mostly happy with it (The leveling feet instal was a little PITA, but that's probably my house). Made in America. Cleans WAY better than the 12 year old GE Profile. Probably 1/2 the noise

Back