New Dishwasher Time AGAIN

I have a basic stainless steel exterior Whirlpool with the Made In America sticker on it. It has a plastic tub, which is louder than I like (55dBA), so I run it at night. It was $499CDN +tax delivered during black Friday several years ago and it runs every other day with no problems to report. As mentioned by @fantastic , the screen if not rinsed frequently can cause the interior to release an unpleasant odour, so I rinse it before each load, which also acts as a purge of cold water. Just scrape and load, no pre-rinsng and dishes come out great using all in one tablets and no rinse aid. The utensil holder can either go on the door or inside the rack. I must admit @blkwtr , that's impressive!

Last edited:
So SpeedQueen is the "bees knees" of washer and dryer sets...is there an equivalent for dishwashers?

I worked with an engineer who used to work for the dishwasher business unit of Maytag. His comments I remember...

Don't pre-wash your dishes. The soaps are made to be caustic to dissolve food. If there is not some bio materials available, they will etch your dishes and wear components in the dishwasher. Yes, knock big chunks off, but don't do a pre-rinse or wash.

Don't add extra detergent (see above).

Don't use the heated dry function. If you can simply crack the door open when the cycle is complete. The dishes are hot enough to dry quickly with the retained heat.
Right now for the average consumer? Bosch.

Whirlpool dish washer - no problems now for 4 years.

Clean out the filter every month. I also do a Clean cycle. You also need to keep the seal clean.

You have to do maintenance people if you want things to last. Don't over-fill the washer.

I have been super happy with my maytag.. around 600 at costco when its not on sale. (paid 375)

Front control > top control.. unless you need it for kids or something.
Stainless tub, extra high shelving can do big stuff on top or bottom as needed.
Cleans well, quiet for 95% of the time it runs the chopper which isnt loud but noticeable for just a couple mins per cycle.

Maytag Front Control Dishwasher in Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel with Dual Power Filtration
Item # ‌6660747‌
Price includes $300 savings on Stainless Steel model only.
Price valid through 11/30/22
looks like its on sale but my membership is temporarily expired so i cant see the price currently.

Well I can't ignore my experience over 35 years.

Cheap dishwashers are loud.

And worse, cheap dishwashers do NOT last. They take a poop way too early. Cheap models have corners cut. Yes in the old days refrigerators lasted. But dishwashers didn't or don't for us. It's worth the money to get a quiet reliable model with features that you use, like a top rack and a silverware tray NOT in the door. Correct we don't need wireless and extra lights and junk that we won't use.
Same for clothes washers - just killed a 4 year old basic Whirlpool - no bells and whistles. Cause of death is multi-organ failure with no parts available.

Do you have pre-rinse your dishes and do a preliminary soap before loading?

Do you run the faucet until hot water is coming out before turning on the machine?

Do you only use the air dry function?

I've found that doing all three of those things greatly prolongs the life of your unit.
I think #2 is a must for dishwashers in the US. For some reason, the pre-wash is not heated by the heating element and relies on tap water temperature. And unfortunately, a lot of the modern dishwashers have removed the pre-wash soap dispenser so you have to improvise.

I have been super happy with my maytag.. around 600 at costco when its not on sale. (paid 375)

Front control > top control.. unless you need it for kids or something.
Stainless tub, extra high shelving can do big stuff on top or bottom as needed.
Cleans well, quiet for 95% of the time it runs the chopper which isnt loud but noticeable for just a couple mins per cycle.

Maytag Front Control Dishwasher in Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel with Dual Power Filtration
Item # ‌6660747‌
Price includes $300 savings on Stainless Steel model only.
Price valid through 11/30/22
looks like its on sale but my membership is temporarily expired so i cant see the price currently.
For $629 and from Costco, that's a pretty dang good deal.

Dishwasher detergent is something overlooked.

I've tried gel, dry crystals and pods. Pods perform the best.

The best in my experience are Cascade Platinum and Great Value dishwasher pods “Advanced Automatic” in a dark purple canister. They clean better than any of the cheaper Cascade or any Finish product we’ve tried.

Make sure you always use rinse aid.

I'll once again recommend the cheapest Bosch (think it's called the Ascenta). It's quiet, washes dishes really well, and has an easy to clean drain filter.

What's not perfect: It has no heater coils so we have to dry the tops of concave surfaces (things like coffee cups). That takes maybe 30 seconds. It somehow gets steamy hot in there. And it doesn't have a 3rd rack - which we don't miss anyway.

It has been Consumer Reports top recommendation for several years, even over Bosch's more expensive models.

If we ever have to buy another dishwasher I'd have no hesitation in buying another one.

Honestly our DW is 13 years old, I have never cleaned anything, I pack it 110% full, no pre-wash soap and no dry aid. I do have to run it on the heavy cycle (which is the middle cycle, there is also a heavier pots and pans one) in order to get stuff fully clean. On the regular cycle it wouldn't get everything clean all the time. I do clean the dishes before putting them in there but only to get the major chunks off.

We have had our Bosch for about 5 years now and it’s been the best we‘ve owned. Stainless tub with third rack which I wasn’t crazy about at first but wouldn’t want another dishwasher without one. Turns out to be an 800 series.

OK it was bound to happen. We have never owned a house were we didn't need a new dishwasher. Last house we were on our third.
OC - didn't have one, added one don't remember Maytag I think
Grants Pass - Replaced when remodeled good GE
Lynnwood - Contractor grade died, replaced with GE. Disappointing
Lynden - GE died and replaced with ???
Duvall - Contractor grade died, replaced with cheapie, died then Bosch. Great!
Everson- WP dying. Bosch coming up

Current is a Whirlpool Gold series from ca 2015. I've replaced parts a couple times since April 2021 but new failures (the heating element again) - besides not heating, now seems like the pump is acting up. It's done about everything else wrong in it's death throes except leak........so to preclude that eventuality, Ima bite the bullet.

Which Bosch, current model, do you recommend?

Looking at 500 or 800 series.
Purchased cheapest Bosch they had at the local store. It is the 50DB model. After two and a half years, it is the best machine I've ever had. Barely hear it, cleans very well and only cost 325 bucks.

I was skeptical as it does not have a drying coil, but that was unfounded. The dishes are super dry and use a lot less energy than a coil dry model.

And most importantly, it is one of the few that has a 30 minute wash cycle. The dishes come out super clean and a lot less wear and tear on a 30 minute cycle vs. 2.5 hours.

I'll once again recommend the cheapest Bosch (think it's called the Ascenta). It's quiet, washes dishes really well, and has an easy to clean drain filter.

What's not perfect: It has no heater coils so we have to dry the tops of concave surfaces (things like coffee cups). That takes maybe 30 seconds. It somehow gets steamy hot in there. And it doesn't have a 3rd rack - which we don't miss anyway.

It has been Consumer Reports top recommendation for several years, even over Bosch's more expensive models.

If we ever have to buy another dishwasher I'd have no hesitation in buying another one.
That is the model I posted about earlier. I cannot believe how well this works and how quiet it is. It says 50db right on the front of it, but I swear it is quieter than that. Bosch is king of dishwashers.

OK it was bound to happen. We have never owned a house were we didn't need a new dishwasher. Last house we were on our third.
OC - didn't have one, added one don't remember Maytag I think
Grants Pass - Replaced when remodeled good GE
Lynnwood - Contractor grade died, replaced with GE. Disappointing
Lynden - GE died and replaced with ???
Duvall - Contractor grade died, replaced with cheapie, died then Bosch. Great!
Everson- WP dying. Bosch coming up

Current is a Whirlpool Gold series from ca 2015. I've replaced parts a couple times since April 2021 but new failures (the heating element again) - besides not heating, now seems like the pump is acting up. It's done about everything else wrong in it's death throes except leak........so to preclude that eventuality, Ima bite the bullet.

Which Bosch, current model, do you recommend?

Looking at 500 or 800 series.
I am a fan of Consumer Reports. I think Bosch gets their top dishwasher rating last I looked.

My last house I owned had a dishwasher with zero issues for 15 years. Current house no issues for 5 years

Washing machines are a different story!

IIRC those have no heating element but a flow through water heater.

Back