New Dishwasher Time AGAIN

Your right that cheap dishwashers are loud, but at the end of the day there all mostly the same underneath - same pump, same heating element, same float switch, etc. The fancy ones might have a couple more functions on the circuit board and more insulation, and a stainless tub. But beyond that the parts that make them work are all made by the same crappy subcontractors in Asia, for pretty much all brands - economies of scale.

So my point is that it likely doesn't matter which one you buy.

Our 13-year-old Kenmore with a plastic tub is loud but no issues in 13 years.
Yep, ours is 16-17 now and has delay start timer, and its not audible from the bedrooms, so it runs at every night at 1 am. KISS IMO, if the $800+ fancy appliances really are better then they can offer a 10+ year warranty... until then I'm not buying it...
I see lots of posts on my local facebook pages for people looking to repair their whiz bang appliance at 3-4-5 years old just after the warranty is up.

Reactions: JC1
Well I can't ignore my experience over 35 years.

Cheap dishwashers are loud.

And worse, cheap dishwashers do NOT last. They take a poop way too early. Cheap models have corners cut. Yes in the old days refrigerators lasted. But dishwashers didn't or don't for us. It's worth the money to get a quiet reliable model with features that you use, like a top rack and a silverware tray NOT in the door. Correct we don't need wireless and extra lights and junk that we won't use.
Yes this! I worked for an apartment complex as a maintenance tech and they purchased the absolute cheapest hotpoint dishwashers you could buy. The diverter valve, and timer repeatedly broke and were more expensive than a new dishwasher. I am a little irritated that a two-year-old Whirlpool dishwasher that I purchased from Lowes went kaput. The heating element cracked, and if you pull the pump out and re-install it might wash. The bearing inside the pump has definite wear marks on it.

I purchased a KDTE104ESS back in 2015 & Installed it June 2016. I've used it now for at least 5 years now with a daily run. It's 46 db & is pleasant to sleep around even w/the kitchen being just in the next room. Like a light rain fall. One of the biggest mistakes was reading the reviews online & some were saying you don't need to clean the filter for like 6 months. Well, Long story short. We take the filter out once a week to clean it now. Don't wait on cleaning them. I get the dishwasher cleaner bottles & run it once a month as well to keep everything clean. I've had no trouble with it at all. I use the air dryer every cycle. Good luck with whatever you decide.

There are a couple other irritating things about cheapie dishwashers.

The utensils holder against the door = utensils that never get really clean
Poorly designed interior space, the worst being the lower rack at the outer portions in particular having incredibly wide spacing which allows the OD of anything (plate bowl etc) to hang down - right in the path of the main am. All to save a couple pennies per unit. Did they not think this through?
I know for a fact the cheaper units use the cheapest of parts. Sure these is some commonality within a brand......

There is a difference. Demonstrably so IMHO.

So SpeedQueen is the "bees knees" of washer and dryer sets...is there an equivalent for dishwashers?

I worked with an engineer who used to work for the dishwasher business unit of Maytag. His comments I remember...

Don't pre-wash your dishes. The soaps are made to be caustic to dissolve food. If there is not some bio materials available, they will etch your dishes and wear components in the dishwasher. Yes, knock big chunks off, but don't do a pre-rinse or wash.

Don't add extra detergent (see above).

Don't use the heated dry function. If you can simply crack the door open when the cycle is complete. The dishes are hot enough to dry quickly with the retained heat.

There are a couple other irritating things about cheapie dishwashers.

The utensils holder against the door = utensils that never get really clean
Poorly designed interior space, the worst being the lower rack at the outer portions in particular having incredibly wide spacing which allows the OD of anything (plate bowl etc) to hang down - right in the path of the main am. All to save a couple pennies per unit. Did they not think this through?
I know for a fact the cheaper units use the cheapest of parts. Sure these is some commonality within a brand......

There is a difference. Demonstrably so IMHO.
To sum it up "You get what you pay for" is generally true in appliances. I def don't recommend spending the least if you want a decent unit.

So SpeedQueen is the "bees knees" of washer and dryer sets...is there an equivalent for dishwashers?

I worked with an engineer who used to work for the dishwasher business unit of Maytag. His comments I remember...

Don't pre-wash your dishes. The soaps are made to be caustic to dissolve food. If there is not some bio materials available, they will etch your dishes and wear components in the dishwasher. Yes, knock big chunks off, but don't do a pre-rinse or wash.

Don't use the heated dry function. If you can simply crack the door open when the cycle is complete. The dishes are hot enough to dry quickly with the retained heat.
I will respectfully disagree on Pre-Washing. I recommend anyone to at least scrape your plates. Especially "noodle" etc. The issue is the little holes that spray the water will get clogged. I have to grab a paper clip & poke the holes ones in a while to free up the junk that gets stuck in the holes. Pre-washing can save you the headache.

The quote above you nailed it. When it comes to appliances, the simplest ones are best. Why do you think refrigerators from the 1970's will outlive us all? They cool. That's it. Boom. Dishwasher should wash. Heat up and dry. Maybe shred the chicken gristle I left on the plate or something too.
But…. If your kitchen is close to your den-living room you want a quiet one. We’ve had the lower level units and they were so noisy that we had to run them at times other than evening etc.

We went with an Asko back in 2016. It has been running very well for us, zero issues (knock on wood).

They aren’t cheap (ours was $1800ish) but they are made in Europe so that is expected.

Miele is the answer here.

Buy once, cry once... Last one was over 20+ years old when we replaced it. Quiet and didn't need one repair until we decided to replace it.

Expensive, but worth it.

Our last Bosch lasted 19 years. It finally stopped about 2 years ago and was replaced with a Bosch 300 series. 2 years in and working fine. Clean the filters, run a descaler every once in a while and the Bosch seems to hold up.

My better half doesn't believe me when I said this. Consequently dishes are almost rinsed clean and paper plates are used often in order to avoid running the dishwasher too often and consequently "wearing it out" or "running it more often than you're supposed to". :rolleyes:

We have a Bosch diswasher that is 18 years old. We wash about three loads a week so it has washed a couple thousand loads.
About five years ago it quit heating. I found a burnt connection on the control board. Cleaned it up and put a drop of solder on it and solved the problem at no cost.
About eight months ago the circulation pump quit working. The impeller on the pump had separated. I couldn't find just an impeller so I had some JB Weld for plastic and epoxyed the impeller together. It seems like a strong fix and so far has held up over a hundred washes. Again, a no cost repair.
It has always ran quiet and strong so I hope our luck holds out.
20221108_140627.jpg

The racks were also a problem in the other dishwashers I had. The last one...Whirlpool had a broken rack. It was going to cost me about $250.00 for the pars alone. That is when I threw in the towel and bought Bosch. The racks are so much more sturdy.

Almost bought a Bosch. Have heard nothing but great things. Ended up buying a Whirlpool and for the last 5+ years its been humming away. Had to replace some mounts for the upper rack at one point for a known issue but other than that, it's been pretty solid.

Back