New Dishwasher Time AGAIN

OK it was bound to happen. We have never owned a house were we didn't need a new dishwasher. Last house we were on our third.
OC - didn't have one, added one don't remember Maytag I think
Grants Pass - Replaced when remodeled good GE
Lynnwood - Contractor grade died, replaced with GE. Disappointing
Lynden - GE died and replaced with ???
Duvall - Contractor grade died, replaced with cheapie, died then Bosch. Great!
Everson- WP dying. Bosch coming up

Current is a Whirlpool Gold series from ca 2015. I've replaced parts a couple times since April 2021 but new failures (the heating element again) - besides not heating, now seems like the pump is acting up. It's done about everything else wrong in it's death throes except leak........so to preclude that eventuality, Ima bite the bullet.

Which Bosch, current model, do you recommend?

Looking at 500 or 800 series.

Reactions: JC1
I bought a $250 Whirlpool dishwasher from Home Depot in 2017. I do dishes way more than I should (every other day minimum?) because electricity is practically free, and water IS free. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I treat it like a rented mule. Rinse food off in the sink? What's that? Dishwasher go BRRRRR!!!!

I bought a $250 Whirlpool dishwasher from Home Depot in 2017. I do dishes way more than I should (every other day minimum?) because electricity is practically free, and water IS free. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I treat it like a rented mule. Rinse food off in the sink? What's that? Dishwasher go BRRRRR!!!!
??????

Buy the cheapest one which is model with less bells and whistles, they usually last longer.
The quote above you nailed it. When it comes to appliances, the simplest ones are best. Why do you think refrigerators from the 1970's will outlive us all? They cool. That's it. Boom. Dishwasher should wash. Heat up and dry. Maybe shred the chicken gristle I left on the plate or something too.

My washer, dryer, refrigerator, and 2 dishwashers (its a big house with a man cave with a kitchenette) were all bought from Sears, Kenmore brand, actually made by Whirlpool. In fact, the washer and dryer were bought from the Sears scratch and dent store. That was 20 years ago, all made in the USA. All are still going strong with no or only minor repairs.

Last edited:
The quote above you nailed it. When it comes to appliances, the simplest ones are best. Why do you think refrigerators from the 1970's will outlive us all? They cool. That's it. Boom. Dishwasher should wash. Heat up and dry. Maybe shred the chicken gristle I left on the plate or something too.
Well I can't ignore my experience over 35 years.

Cheap dishwashers are loud.

And worse, cheap dishwashers do NOT last. They take a poop way too early. Cheap models have corners cut. Yes in the old days refrigerators lasted. But dishwashers didn't or don't for us. It's worth the money to get a quiet reliable model with features that you use, like a top rack and a silverware tray NOT in the door. Correct we don't need wireless and extra lights and junk that we won't use.

Last edited:
OK it was bound to happen. We have never owned a house were we didn't need a new dishwasher. Last house we were on our third.
OC - didn't have one, added one don't remember Maytag I think
Grants Pass - Replaced when remodeled good GE
Lynnwood - Contractor grade died, replaced with GE. Disappointing
Lynden - GE died and replaced with ???
Duvall - Contractor grade died, replaced with cheapie, died then Bosch. Great!
Everson- WP dying. Bosch coming up

Current is a Whirlpool Gold series from ca 2015. I've replaced parts a couple times since April 2021 but new failures (the heating element again) - besides not heating, now seems like the pump is acting up. It's done about everything else wrong in it's death throes except leak........so to preclude that eventuality, Ima bite the bullet.

Which Bosch, current model, do you recommend?

Looking at 500 or 800 series.
Do you have pre-rinse your dishes and do a preliminary soap before loading?

Do you run the faucet until hot water is coming out before turning on the machine?

Do you only use the air dry function?

I've found that doing all three of those things greatly prolongs the life of your unit.

Do you have pre-rinse your dishes and do a preliminary soap before loading?

Do you run the faucet until hot water is coming out before turning on the machine?

Do you only use the air dry function?

I've found that doing all three of those things greatly prolongs the life of your unit.
1) Soap before? Never
2) Sometimes, now always since no heating condition
3) Yes

Pump has now failed dead. Uggh.

Personally I don't trust the location of the buttons on the 500/800 series so I would look at the 100 (aka upgraded Ascenta).

Back