New coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a coffee snob of sorts for many years now and I am always looking for a good cuppa.

I heard about Black Rifle coffee on the radio. Owned and operated by veterans. Lots of good reviews. So, I decided to give them a try. I ordered three different dark roasts as that is my preference. Apparently they roast the beans just prior to shipping so it's very fresh.

I got the package last Friday and first up was their Beyond Black blend. The hype is real. This is excellent coffee. Nice dark oily beans. Very smooth and aromatic. Acidity is low.

I also got their Blackbeard's Delight and Black Buffalo blends.

If anyone is looking for a good cuppa, I highly recommend these guys.

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

Originally Posted by CT8
snobs are good.

In this case, yep.

Years ago when I was working I despised the cheap grocery store coffee that our Dept used for the employee coffee room. One day I brought in my electric percolator and some Peet's coffee. Before the pot was done brewing people were stopping by smelling that coffee and asking for a cup.

It became a daily ritual for me. Soon all the employees pitched in and we bought a new machine and good coffee for all.

I knew I should not have clicked on this I've been on the fence for months about this company and hearing all excellent reviews now I gotta give it a try.

Last edited:
Where are the beans from?
Ethiopia? Columbia? Brazil?
Arabica (the best).
Robusto (not good at all)

The beans are more important than the roaster. We have many roasters in my area of Central Florida. The one I am most familiar with gets his beans shipped to him in Burlap Sack. Showed me how his roaster works. Fantastic.

Try reading the book;
"I Love Coffee" by Susan Zimmer.

Not sure where youre from Pim, but if you have a Fairway market near you check them out. Usually 30-50 types of beans roasted on location, very fair pricing too. I hate buying it anywhere else. This week I got a lb of Ethiopian Harrar and a lb of fair trade Mexican organic for 21$. Youd probably like Sumatran or Sulawesi coffee if you like the darker oily stuff.

Have you ever thought about roasting your own? We started doing this about 3 years ago and we get amazing coffee, for the price of Folger's. It's not really that hard to do either.

Originally Posted by Audios
Not sure where youre from Pim, but if you have a Fairway market near you check them out. Usually 30-50 types of beans roasted on location, very fair pricing too. I hate buying it anywhere else. This week I got a lb of Ethiopian Harrar and a lb of fair trade Mexican organic for 21$. Youd probably like Sumatran or Sulawesi coffee if you like the darker oily stuff.

Originally Posted by Audios

No Fairway markets in my neck of the woods.

Originally Posted by ctrcbob
Where are the beans from?
Ethiopia? Columbia? Brazil?
Arabica (the best).
Robusto (not good at all)

The beans are more important than the roaster. We have many roasters in my area of Central Florida. The one I am most familiar with gets his beans shipped to him in Burlap Sack. Showed me how his roaster works. Fantastic.

Try reading the book;
"I Love Coffee" by Susan Zimmer.

For the Beyond Black the beans are from Columbia.

Originally Posted by CARJ
Have you ever thought about roasting your own? We started doing this about 3 years ago and we get amazing coffee, for the price of Folger's. It's not really that hard to do either.

I've thought of that but I am slowing down in my older age.

roasting on your own, nothing beats it; all organic and natural; however, anything you buy you're paying premium for the advertisement and the product is usually just mediocre but it is loaded with atificials for sure

Originally Posted by dave123
I knew I should not have clicked on this I've been on the fence for months about this company and hearing all excellent reviews now I gotta give it a try.

I've like to support the small businesses when I can. I was a Peet's fan and still am to a point but they are now part of JAB (African Anheuser Busch). Then I tried Stumptown and JAB bought them as well. There is a lot of consolidation going on in this industry.

These guys are growing by leaps and bounds. Their primary roasting facility is in Salt Lake City but they open another plant in Tennessee due to the increased business.

away from the house, i prefer Tim Hortons, outside their areas, I've not found a brand(restaurant/gas station, etc) i like as well..

at home, I've found and enjoy the Woodward Ave. Blend From the Detroit Bold Coffee Company. it's good(for grocery store coffee) and hard to beat for $6/bag.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by PimTac
Nice dark oily beans.
I try to avoid oily beans as they tend to gunk up the grinder.

From my end, I can whole hardheartedly recommend these two:

https://redbirdcoffee.com/collections/featured-coffees/products/red-bird-espresso

http://espressovivace.com/our-coffee/blends/ (Vivace Dolce)

Fantastic coffee, especially for espresso-based drinks. This is all I used to order before I finally found a good local roaster.

You beat me to it :) Oily beans will ruin your grinder (i think that metal grinders are not affected, but am not sure) if you have one of those automated Xpresso machines like I have it's big bucks to repair. Don't ask me how I know! I've recently discover Pavin Caffe and it's so low in acidity that you don't need to add much sugar at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back