New class action against Hyundai/Kia excessive engine oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
New class action lawsuit affecting 20 models was just announced. This goes far beyond Theta Ii. Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda and Kappa are all on the list. For now, the suit claims excessive oil consumption. Deja vu. Will catastrophic engine failures follow, like the did with Theta Ii?

I'm confused about which engines this is about.
I have a 2018 Elantra GT 2.0 and it uses no oil.
Is this engine affected?

I'm confused about which engines this is about.
I have a 2018 Elantra GT 2.0 and it uses no oil.
Is this engine affected?
If you have a motor that MAY BE affected, simply having this motor will get you a free oil change will the suit is settled. That's what usually happens. Class action suits are often misunderstood-witness the feeding frenzy on here about this one.

I'm not really sure why so many people still buy them.
A young man who is a friend of one of my daughters is a salesperson at a local Toyota dealer. He says "I never have a lack of interested customers, but only a fraction of those can actually get the financing." Is it possible Hyundai/Kia folks are selling the deal more than the hardware? I dunno....

A young man who is a friend of one of my daughters is a salesperson at a local Toyota dealer. He says "I never have a lack of interested customers, but only a fraction of those can actually get the financing." Is it possible Hyundai/Kia folks are selling the deal more than the hardware? I dunno....

Most (but not all financing) is done by the local dealers through local lenders. They have a gamut of lenders they use for all credit situations. Every dealer sells "the deal"......don't they?

If you have a motor that MAY BE affected, simply having this motor will get you a free oil change will the suit is settled. That's what usually happens. Class action suits are often misunderstood-witness the feeding frenzy on here about this one.
But if the free oil change(s) are with bulk oil (who knows, the greedy dealers could be purchasing cheap conventional 5W-20 oil) and using it on your car instead of 0W-20 Synthetic, it's not a good deal.

I've heard that it's easier for potential Nissan buyers to get financed. I'm not so sure if it's true or not but thought it was interesting.

Hyundai owners never ever-ever carbon clean their engines. They run the cheapest low-rent oil, usually out to 7K~8K miles or more. Then they wonder why their GDI engines grenade... :rolleyes:

Hyundai owners never ever-ever carbon clean their engines. They run the cheapest low-rent oil, usually out to 7K~8K miles or more. Then they wonder why their GDI engines grenade... :rolleyes:
Not necessarily so. My family has owned 8 Hyundai. The oldest 07 SantaFe has about 185,000 miles on it and runs great. We always change oil at 5K or earlier and use synthetics. Carbon clean the GDI's. They have proven to be the most reliable and trouble free cars we have ever owned.

I have a 3.3L V6 Kia Sorento, which calls for 5w-30 or 10w-30. What do people think of running M1 0W-40 in it instead? Mine is at about 50K miles, and used about 1/2 qt oil at 4k miles after oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back