Hyundai excessive oil use lawsuit...

Our 2014 Kia Rio is on the list. OCI of 5K with synthetic,. Like clockwork. Well maintained. Still runs great at 126,000 miles. But....have to add a quart or so between oil changes. Tried a new PCV valve, didnt make any difference.

Just bought a 2019 Tucson. Also on list. Hopefully i dont have a problem....

I have 2 Sonatas on the list; a 2011 and a 2018. Bought the 11 new, never used a drop of oil, had full syn 5w30 oil changes every 4k miles, and the engine went at about 80K, two weeks after an oil change. Bought the 18 used with just under 30k on the clock, and it's used about a quart between changes ever since we bought it.

My 17 Soul+ does a quart every two thousand miles. If I didn't pull the dipstick the engine would be cooked as I'm sure the next quart low would burn off in a few hundred. I'm an elderly fart driven crazy by teenage girls who name their cars then post "what does the teapot light mean?" on Facebook. See here, young whippersnappers, in my day they taught you to change tires and pull dipsticks in driver's ed.

I’ll post my experience, I have owned a lot of different Hyundai/Kia vehicles the oldest was a 2002 2.0l Elantra and the newest was a turbo sonata sport 2.0l.
Had a couple 2.4Ls in the past zero oil consumption per 6k on synthetic. currently have two 2.4ls, both use no measurable amount of synthetic per oil change 6-7k and both manufactured during the “dark period” for the 2.4ls.

The turbos 2.0 in optima and sport, 3.5l in the xg350l , 3.8l in Azera and the base elantras 2.0l
Never had an engine problem with any of them or did I ever have oil consumption.

I also exercise the rpm’s, but keep up on maintenance use top-tier ethanol free fuel, high-quality synthetics with usually OEM filters ect.

I could see these engines having issues if neglected, or ran low on oil because of extended oil changes, but do not believe they are made of glass.

I see a a ton of the 11-13 sonatas/optimas in both base 2.4l and turbo 2.0l still on the roads today. These cars are almost a decade old now with most probably in the 6 digit milage.
While I don’t know if they are on original engines, I’ve never heard a bad one in person, ever.

My Tucson with a 2.0L Nu engine is on the list. Never had to add oil between oil changes. I've been adding a litre of oil every 1000km or so on the Jetta for over 10 years, so the Hyundai would need to surpass that before I'd even start getting worried.

My Tucson with a 2.0L Nu engine is on the list. Never had to add oil between oil changes. I've been adding a litre of oil every 1000km or so on the Jetta for over 10 years, so the Hyundai would need to surpass that before I'd even start getting worried.
Interesting logic.

No, none here. Been buying H/K since '09. I can honestly say it's been the most trouble-free group of vehicles we've ever owned. I check oil levels every weekend during fuel fill-ups.
How often do you add oil?
I cant remember anytime in the last couple decades that I had to check the oil level between changes. Once in a great while sure, like maybe once a year on my GM vehicles and wife's current Mazda just to re-affirm no oil consumption.

How often do you add oil?
I cant remember anytime in the last couple decades that I had to check the oil level between changes. Once in a great while sure, like maybe once a year on my GM vehicles and wife's current Mazda just to re-affirm no oil consumption.
Knock on wood, haven't needed to add in the past 10 years.

Work in an oil change shop. Regularly see Hyundai and Kia's come in with no oil at very low mileage, such as 30k miles. Same as Chevy/GMC.

I purchased a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring and it was wonderful.

It had the old tried and true, bulletproof Kia Spectra 2.0L engine.

One month later Elantra GT came to market.

Spec'd for 5W30, I ran the Elantra Touring on highest VI, thinnest 0W20 SN GF-5.

Traded in for a PriusC at 300k miles, the Hyundai never had any oil consumption issues whatsoever.

64.5 cubic feet of cargo area for my job.

2012 Sonata, been to the dealer over a yeat ago and went through the "cylinder wash" gypsy magic voodo process and was charged $400. No better now, still uses a qt every 600 miles. Went back and they started another claim...
When we returned for the 1000 mile check (1½ qts down and less than 1k) they shoved a paper at us that said, in essence, too bad- not our problem. Always used top tier oil and filters, analysis every change was perfect. Now I'm trying snake oil to free the oil control rings as I am too tired and too poor to fight anymore. After 6 Hyundais in the family, the next car in our driveway will be a Toyota (parked next to my Tundra, which uses ZERO oil, even when dragging a 7000# camper).

Back