Hyundai excessive oil use lawsuit...

No, none here. Been buying H/K since '09. I can honestly say it's been the most trouble-free group of vehicles we've ever owned. I check oil levels every weekend during fuel fill-ups.

Last edited:
Good info for someone who services a lot of these vehicles.
It's not uncommon to see the low oil warning lamp on prior to changing the oil.
For many the red oil can is mistaken for an OLM.
The teapot light in Hyundai’s is a low oil pressure warning light. It doesn’t come on if the oil level is low by a quart or so. When it comes on, there’s low oil pressure and it could be too late.

Never had any oil consumption issues on the several Hyundai and Kia’s I’ve owned over the years. Though most engines in the Hyundais I’ve owned were the older Alpha and Beta and they were very reliable. The 2019 Soul is my first Kia with GDI so we’ll see what happens as it gets older. It seems like a lot of the issues with oil consumption started when they went to GDI in 2012. But in many cases (not all) poor maintenance is the leading cause.

The writer of this article is mad they didn’t cover 100% of the cost on an engine with 140,000 miles on it. Most other manufacturers would have told him to get lost.

Last edited:
Anyone on here experienced excessive oil use on their Hyundai vehicle?

My 13 Elantra is on the list. Zero oil usage at 98k. It's been the best most reliable car ive owned.

Having said that, I switched to 5w and 10w-30 oil after the second or third change. It's life has been on 30wt. I don't run any 20wt oils.

girlfriends 18 kia optima 2.4L is GREAT, using NO oil between 6mo 5000 mile intervals + a 10-30 fake synthetic in Pa since i dumped the 5-20 semi syn the used car dealer put in at 8 thou in 2019.

35k mile 2017 Tuscon. 2.0L NU GDI. Oil changes every 3750 miles with Valvoline Everyday protection 5w30 or 5w20, and valvoline filter.

Right about 3000 into the run it is half a quart low almost every time.

My 2011 Sonata used oil like clockwork as well.

I think as long as you are someone who checks oil every sunday in the driveway like I do you will be fine.

My ford escape has never used a drop of oil and that does 5k runs with the same oil.

These Hyundai engines are tough on oil and are dirty pigs, but I will say that the 2.0L NU is twice as smooth as my ford duratec. With new NGK Laser's in there you can barely tell the car is running.

My wife had a 2016 Sonata with the 2.4L. Consumption was nearly 1/2 quart every few days no matter if it had 0w20 or 15w40 in it. Tried everything to get it to stop. traded it for a 2019 Highlander Limited before driving 20hrs to Scottsdale, best impulse buy in my life.

The author is complaining about having to split the cost for an engine replacement 50/50 after putting 140k miles on his car. Pretty much says everything I need to know about who's writing for Jalopnik these days.

Fwiw, my Elantra is supposedly on that list. I'm at 5 years and 75k miles with no oil usage at all between 5k mile intervals. I've had my issues with this car, but none of them are powertrain related. Still average over 40 mpg on the highway, transmission is smooth and predictable, and it's a very easy car to service.

The author is complaining about having to split the cost for an engine replacement 50/50 after putting 140k miles on his car. Pretty much says everything I need to know about who's writing for Jalopnik these days.

Fwiw, my Elantra is supposedly on that list. I'm at 5 years and 75k miles with no oil usage at all between 5k mile intervals. I've had my issues with this car, but none of them are powertrain related. Still average over 40 mpg on the highway, transmission is smooth and predictable, and it's a very easy car to service.
My only issue is the mpg. I don't get 40 hwy. Does not matter what tires, best I get is 35-36 hwy. 28 mixed city/expressway driving.

Had no consumption issues with my ‘15 Sonata 2.4L. Maybe 1/2 quart per 5k miles so no top off ever needed.

That was a great car. Wish I kept it.

In my experience with several 2.4 Theta Sonata/Optimas I've seen first hand
A sudden severe uptick in oil consumption paired with it doesn't have the same power? is a warning that engine failure is near
They all bit the dust 3 weeks to 3 months after
Some people maintained better than others, some drove more sedate than others
They all died eventually ☠️
One they could've argued neglect, luckily I saw it before it got towed to the dealer
Took 3qts to bring it to the full mark
They replaced it without comment

My one and only Hyundai was a stripped down leftover 09 Elantra bought new for 14k. I passed it down to the kid when he went to college. It was still running last year with 267,000 miles. Needed a lot of work and junior wanted a new car so he donated it. Extremely reliable. After hearing about the oil issue with the new ones I’m glad he decided on a Mazda 3 sedan.

When I buy a used car (never have new) I check the tailpipe for oily, sooty deposits (dry soot okay with GDI).
No oil burners in 40 years.
My Tucson is on the list, but it currently doesn't use a noticeable amount. 🔨🪵

Back