Hyundai 2.4l excessive oil consumption

When you get the new engine I'd run 10w30 full syn in it at 3750 mile intervals, and use an intake valve cleaner at a short interval, probably every other year. That and a high PEA fuel injector cleaner, you should get good service out of it.

These engines need more maintenance to get them over the finish line. They really aren't a car to give to your wife and never check the oil.

I'm pretty sure that lifetime warranty is only if you throw related knock codes that the TSB applied to the ECU logic. However if they are covering 70% of the total of $2158 that's not too bad.
$2158 is my portion, they cover the other 70%

I agree that covering 70% of the cost on an 8 year old car with 125K isn't too bad. I doubt you'd get that from GM, Ford or Stellantis.
I also feel that Hyundai's engine issues (the 2.4 in particular) are hurting them and I don't see why they can't fix it for once and for all.

Is the $2158 the cost for the engine and installation? If so then 30% (your cost) would be about $650 out of your pocket which isn't bad if you can get another 100 to 150K out of the car.
$2158 is my portion

I'm 90% sure that the engine needs a new head, and everything that goes with it during that process (timing chain, guides, etc.). Usually some of the valve stem seals or the valves themselves go bad on these.

Alternatively, if you did the TSB that updates the knock sensor software to detect a rod knock, you can tell the dealer this:
"Dear Mr. Service Manager, I might as well drive the car normally, until the engine either develops a rod knock, or completely seizes up. Then you will cover it under the so-called lifetime warranty. I am correct, Sir?"

Hyundai will do anything to get out of having to honor a warranty or pay. Unfortunately for them, oil consumption issues tie into that "lifetime warranty" they offer. I owned three of those misserable engines, and always ran 0W-40 or 5W-40 Euro oils in them, and always did 4K~5K mile OCIs. Still, that's no guarantee that they will make it to any kind of Toyota-like high mileage. They are truly cheaply put together miserable motors.
I was told by the dealership that they transfer everything from the old engine to the newly remanufactured engine. That includes timing, chain head, water pump, accessory belts, obviously manifolds.

I was told by the dealership that they transfer everything from the old engine to the newly remanufactured engine. That includes timing, chain head, water pump, accessory belts, obviously manifolds.
They also transfer oil pan spark plugs. Nothing is new new. It is a remanufactured short block

If you chose to do the replacement, I'd replace some of those components namely the chain, water pump, belts, and plugs if you plan on keeping the car. Since they're already including the labor to transfer, it shouldn't be anything extra.

If you chose to do the replacement, I'd replace some of those components namely the chain, water pump, belts, and plugs if you plan on keeping the car. Since they're already including the labor to transfer, it shouldn't be anything extra.
The plugs I just put in 10,000 miles ago the water pump they want $370 and accessory belts $75 each for two. Did not check on price of timing chain.

I have a 2015 sonata 2.4l 125000 miles and has been burning 1qt oil every 800 miles. Have completed the required oil consumption testing and completed all tsb/ recalls. Hyundai dealership has come back and said they will cover 70% to replace with a reman engine. ( cost $2158 ) this would come with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty..I thought that the engine is supposed to have a lifetime warranty due to litigation and that replacement would be free. Also, is that supposed to be a reman engine or a new engine? Does anyone know?
This seems to be a wide spread problem across many major car brands due to the low tension piston rings (that are used due to CAFE) getting dirty and sticking due to the longer oil change intervals being recommended by automakers.

I prefer to own earlier (older) vehicles that have normal tension piston rings.

Is this the product of these new 15,000 mile oil changes? Amsoil has a 20,000 mile oil out right?

Who is changing their oil at 20,000 miles?

Is this the product of these new 15,000 mile oil changes? Amsoil has a 20,000 mile oil out right?

Who is changing their oil at 20,000 miles?
I've visit several car forums daily. It's quite common for people to buy a new car, do 5k OCI with full synthetic, and get significant sludge across many different car brands. My view is that 5k OCI is too long. Engine health is not about engine wear and UOA's. It's about piston ring cleanliness.

It's the dirty / stuck piston rings which cause the excessive oil burning (1+ quarts every 1k miles), and causes the need for a $7k engine rebuild with a new short block.

I prefer 4k mile/6 month (whichever comes first) oil change intervals with a low priced full synthetic 5W-30. Also I stocked up on LiquiMoly engine flush (12 cans), so I have enough for 3 engine flushes during each of the next 3 upcoming oil changes for each of my 4 vehicles (12 total engine flushes). With the high price of new cars nowadays $50k to $80k, I'm planning on keeping my current vehicles another 12 years (until the genuine OEM parts availability dries up).

Just added a quart of oil, last fill was 8 days ago and milage was 1 quart in 358 miles
I have 4 earlier model minivans which I really like. Luckily none of them use a drop of oil in between oil changes. No oil burning, no oil leaks at all on driveway.
I don't know if I would ever want to buy a new car nowadays due to inflated prices and also due to the "burn a quart of oil every month" phenomenon that is affecting many new car brands / models.

With all the reading here at BITOG it depends if you want to try and reduce the burning or just go for the rebuild.

My friend works for VW as one of their top techs. He recommended using BG EPR before a change. They use it for the heavy oil burners that come in to their shop for complaints. I think he said it was a TSB not positive. It doesn't eliminate the burning but makes it a lot better. Then it's up to you to use better oil/filter/cleaners accordingly.

He had said warm the motor, add the BG EPR and hold about 1500rpm for like 20 minutes iirc. Drain oil and replace filter and add new oil.

After that I might do the HPL EC 30 correct ratio and at least change filter at 2k miles like they recommend. Maybe do that a couple times.

I had an older Corolla that was starting to use a lot more oil even with frequent oil changes. I did the popular at that time on BITOG Auto-Rx cleaning. It did reduce the oil usage a lot by end of the cleanings.

At that point maybe even some of the HPL oil that they say cleans a lot better and use a qt as part of the top off/keep full. Not inexpensive but an option.

I don't recall, did you any of the piston soak versions as often referenced on the forum?

Hyundai has a procedure for piston soaking the rings, and an oil consumption test, that may trigger a short/long block if it fails

If the oil consumption amount is under 1,000 Miles/Quart, then replace the engine

Long Block Part # 21101-2GK31QQH/RM
Online Price $2248.50
MSRP $3024.19

Workflow:
Screenshot_20230624-011421.png

Last edited:
That sounds about right. Quick head math says the total job would be about $7K.
Is a 2015 Sonata with 125K even worth $7K....I guess in this inflationary market anything is possible.
I'd search online for a low mileage used engine and have a local mechanic (not the dealer) install it....or trade it in on a new Elantra (you'll then know what the dealer thinks it's worth.)
These engines need more maintenance to get them over the finish line. They really aren't a car to give to your wife and never check the oil.
This was the problem with the early Hyundai Elantra which came out in 1986 IIRC and had a 1.5 Mitsubishi designed engine. Many if not most were sold to woman and first time car owners who often neglected to check their oil. They had a small sump and a tendency to burn oil and were running low on oil after maybe 1500 miles which led to a blown engine. It really wasn't such a bad engine (basically the same engine used in Dodge Colts) but had a bad reputation because of what I describe above.

Sometime around the year 2000, Hyundai got their act together and were making very good engines and their 100K warranty put them on people's radar and sales took off. Sadly, Hyundai began having their rash of engine problems around 2011 which has hurt their reputation if not their sales.

Last edited:
Is a 2015 Sonata with 125K even worth $7K....I guess in this inflationary market anything is possible.
I'd search online for a low mileage used engine and have a local mechanic (not the dealer) install it....or trade it in on a new Elantra (you'll then know what the dealer thinks it's worth.)

This was the problem with the early Hyundai Elantra which came out in 1986 IIRC and had a 1.5 Mitsubishi designed engine. Many if not most were sold to woman and first time car owners who often neglected to check their oil. They had a small sump and a tendency to burn oil and were running low on oil after maybe 1500 miles which led to a blown engine. It really wasn't such a bad engine (basically the same engine used in Dodge Colts) but had a bad reputation because of what I describe above.

Sometime around the year 2000, Hyundai got their act together and were making very good engines and their 100K warranty put them on people's radar and sales took off. Sadly, Hyundai began having their rash of engine problems around 2011 which has hurt their reputation if not their sales.
A 2015 Sonata with 125K miles (200K km) would be well over US$7K (c. C$9500) here.

I can't find an exact or even close match, but did check the inventory at the lot I bought our last car from.

12% sales tax is on top of the quoted prices.

2009 Chevy Cobalt
140K km
C$7950

2015 Nissan Rogue
149K km
C$17,950

2017 Mitsubishi RVR
174K km
C$17,950

2009 Kia Rondo
99K km
C$8950

2012 Dodge Journey
137K km
C$12,950

Agreed on Hyundai/Kia - it appears the sweet spot was c. 2002 - 2009.

#1----A 2015 Sonata with 125K miles (200K km) would be well over US$7K (c. C$9500) here.

#2----12% sales tax is on top of the quoted prices.

#Agreed on Hyundai/Kia - it appears the sweet spot was c. 2002 - 2009.
#1----I guess I'm still not accepting the exorbitant price increase of used cars.

#2----Wow...12% sales tax is also exorbitant IMO.

#3----I agree that the 'sweet spot' for H/K vehicles was 2002 -2009. The CEO of Hyundai at the time they instituted the 10yr/ 100K warranty was a man named Finbarr O'Neill. I actually met him once at a party (he's related to a friend of mine who had the party) and talked about his turnaround of Hyundai....he was very engaging and humble IMO.

Last edited:
Back