New car gouging

keep what you have, hang to it a bit longer if necessary, and do your maintenance along the way šŸ˜

We got a great deal on our 2020 Jetta before things got crazy, over 17% off MSRP new. When we decided to trade it for a new 2021 model due to an accident we paid much closer to MSRP. Ended up walking out of the dealer when they wouldn't budge, got a call later that day and they took a bit off, enough for us to purchase. There were only two new Jettas on the lot at that time, I went for it.

That's not what this is about. They don't have any cars to sell and when they get one in, they gouge people on the price. People will remember this stuff.
No they won't. The firearm community says this "crisis" after "crisis" about Cheaper Than Dirt, but guess who's still in business after selling items at literally 1000% mark-up...

A lot of people arenā€™t willing to put in the work it takes to negotiate for a good price on a vehicle.

And the result is what you have now - dealers taking advantage, because they know that what PT Barnum said is true - ā€œThereā€™s a sucker born every minute.ā€
I've found it's typically not work, it's just how you approach it. The last two vehicles I bought, I got a great deal on, and I spent less than 5 minutes negotiating.

I don't think this is a gouge, this is just simple economics, supply and demand. It sucks for the consumer for sure. But it's how a free market works.
I always fail to understand how people don't understand this. Yeah, about that car I said we could sell to you for $40,000...I've got three other people begging me to sell it to them for $50,000. So uh, out of respect to you, I'll give you first opportunity to buy it for $50,000 else I'm selling it one of the other people.

50K on her current Avalon is nothing. Those are 300K cars easy.
If she wants the new car, I woud talk to the dealer. And not some flunky sales guy; you gotta get to a decision maker.
Heck, for that money, she needs to get a Lexus.
Any dealer that operates that way will never get my business.
Good luck.
They are all operating that way now. Supply and demand. High demand for cars + low supply = prices increase.

They are all operating that way now. Supply and demand. High demand for cars + low supply = prices increase.
Understood; it's just business. I wouldn't sell my house for a bazillion dollars under market just because the market is high.
But there are a few good dealers out there. We still got a fair deal on our RX450h F Sport (highest demand Lexus), but then again that was the 4th car I bought from Putnam Lexus in Redwood City, CA. Some businessmen really want repeat customers.

For all you Tesla haters and lovers (just kidding), the Model 3 and Model Y prices just went up almost $2K.
So it ain't just the dealers; it's just the market. This is the price we are paying for disruption.

Is Tesla gouging its customers?
Depends on your definition of gouging... Yes, prices have gone up. Demand is off the charts for the Model 3 and Model Y.
Delivery dates keep pushing. Model 3 Std Range Plus (cheapest Tesla) delivery is June 2022.
I think you can get the Plaid in December, if you are in a hurry.

Last edited:
I would call a local TV station and see if they have any interest in doing a story on this dealership.
News people buy cars too.

In my opinion, MSRP is the top dollar. If things were better, like most of us, we would get it below MSRP. Now, since things are bad, it's pay MSRP or you don't get it. Anything ABOVE MSRP is gouging. Simple as that.

What happened to your girlfriend is not unusual . I've read several stories just this week of the same thing happening to others . It's not gouging , it's capitalism . Look at real estate when people get into a bidding war over a house . Is the seller gouging ? No contract , no deal .
I can't imagine someone trying to buy a new vehicle right now anyway . You would have to live under a rock to not expect to pay MSRP + .

Let's see:

$43,600 MSRP
$2,180 tax
$800 doc fee
$100 tag fee

That's $46,680. "Almost" $50k.

Not including all weather mats, mud guards, wheel locks, or anything else.

So is it price gouging? Or are we not getting the full story?

My F-150 brought in more in trade than an offer from 3 years ago. About 5K difference. Nice to drive a truck for 3.5 years and not lose more than a few hundred dollars. Probably would not get $5K off a Venza in even a buyers market. I feel I came out ahead.

Back