New Bilstein B8 shocks/struts on the wagon

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Finally decided to drop on some sport dampers to compliment my H&R Sport springs. They ride superbly....a well sorted touring/sport suspension now. Had the springs on for the last year/30K miles on the stock dampers (56K total on those). Rode fine to me with the sport springs/stock dampers, but these are better/heavier damping which controls the movement a bit better - not harsh at all. Install wasn't bad, never have done struts before and used the slightly janky but popular in the VW MK7 world..."2x4" method. Worked great. Basically saved removing the axle/lower ball joint assembly by bolting a 2x4 to the strut's sway bar bracket and just raising it up a bit to get it out of the knuckle.

View attachment 51438
165920761_10157918873466723_6098764760722663433_o.jpg
20210327_174015.jpg

Last edited:
Finally decided to drop on some sport dampers to compliment my H&R Sport springs. They ride superbly....a well sorted touring/sport suspension now. Had the springs on for the last year/30K miles on the stock dampers (56K total on those). Rode fine to me with the sport springs/stock dampers, but these are better/heavier damping which controls the movement a bit better - not harsh at all. Install wasn't bad, never have done struts before and used the slightly janky but popular in the VW MK7 world..."2x4" method. Worked great. Basically saved removing the axle/lower ball joint assembly by bolting a 2x4 to the strut's sway bar bracket and just raising it up a bit to get it out of the knuckle.

View attachment 51438View attachment 51439

I bet that is a great ride.
I put some 5100s on my 2018 Tacoma and it was sweet.

Sweet. I have Bilstein B8s and AST lowering springs (from the Netherlands) enroute right now for my 2017 MINI Clubman S ALL4. Plus an NM Engineering rear sway bar.

The Clubman is VERY soft and floaty compared to my other, older 2dr MINI Hatchbacks. I’m hoping this makes it more of a “MINI”. I have the dynamic dampers and I’m not impressed at all. In Normal and Green modes the entire car “shudders” over expansion cracks on the freeway. I get the feeling all 4 wheels are bouncing wildly for about 1/2sec at every crack. Sport is better, but nothing special.

I installed Bilstein HDs (B6 equivalent?) on an old E36 BMW 318ti and absolutely loved them.

I also have new strut and shock mounts, spring pads, hardware, etc. to go with it all.

Last edited:
Supposedly, according Bilstein many send their B8's in to get the valving to match the B4 compression and rebound curves.

Had Eibach sport springs with Bilstein B6-sports (now called B8) on the last car.....and added a H&R rear sway bar. But when the front strut blew after over 150,000 miles, put B4 sports in (since it was available on the Passat, to match the lowering springs of the Passat sport package)... the ride was so much better. But the front control arms pointed slightly up, which isn't good for roll center and handling... but I wanted to lower the car anyway, so it was the trade-off I was willing to accept.

Supposedly, according Bilstein many send their B8's in to get the valving to match the B4 compression and rebound curves.

Had Eibach sport springs with Bilstein B6-sports (now called B8) on the last car.....and added a H&R rear sway bar. But when the front strut blew after over 150,000 miles, put B4 sports in (since it was available on the Passat, to match the lowering springs of the Passat sport package)... the ride was so much better. But the front control arms pointed slightly up, which isn't good for roll center and handling... but I wanted to lower the car anyway, so it was the trade-off I was willing to accept.
I am still debating B4 and B6. But, I am thinking that since I am not lowering car (will put M3 control arms in rear and M3 sway bar) that it should not compromise comfort that much.

I am still debating B4 and B6. But, I am thinking that since I am not lowering car (will put M3 control arms in rear and M3 sway bar) that it should not compromise comfort that much.
B6s for sure if you are tracking it. It won't make it harsh. I have Koni Sports on my son's Focus and I'd say at their softest setting they are like the B8/B6s.

That is what I am thinking, especially with the fact that I am not lowering vehicle.
Take a look at Koni as well - the adjustable damping is a great feature for essentially the same price as Bilsteins but on some models you can't access the adjustment without removing it. My son's Focus is that way out back as would be my Sportwagen which negating them for me.

B6s for sure if you are tracking it. It won't make it harsh. I have Koni Sports on my son's Focus and I'd say at their softest setting they are like the B8/B6s.
Bilstein reps in the past has told me B8's have more aggressive compression and rebound curves, thus valving than the B6

Bilstein reps in the past has told me B8's have more aggressive compression and rebound curves, thus valving than the B6
Bilstein website says they are the same just shorter (1").

Bilstein website says they are the same just shorter (1").
Bilstein website doesn't even say it's 1" shorter, just shorter. Bilstein marketing will only tell you so much, and since they are not the technical people, they assume the buyers aren't technical either.

Even on the "technology section" it lists B8's can be twin-tubes also.

That's how much I would take Bilstein marketing seriously.

Take a look at Koni as well - the adjustable damping is a great feature for essentially the same price as Bilsteins but on some models you can't access the adjustment without removing it. My son's Focus is that way out back as would be my Sportwagen which negating them for me.
If I go KONI I would go Special Active. But, Bilstein IMO is more robust product.

Bilstein website doesn't even say it's 1" shorter, just shorter. Bilstein marketing will only tell you so much, and since they are not the technical people, they assume the buyers aren't technical either.

Even on the "technology section" it lists B8's can be twin-tubes also.

Back