New wheels and tires on our VW Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice looking car and I like the wheels...

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Hello:

We bought the car new in December 2018. VW Passat SEL Premium. It's my wife's long distance commute car, sometimes being driven 1,000 miles per week.

It looked a bit like a taxi when we first bought it. Here is what I've done to it since then: 1) Window tint. 2) Suspension upgrades; Bilstein B6 Sport struts/shocks, plus H&R OE Sport lowering springs (-3/4" front, -2/3" rear). 3) BBS SX Anthracite 19"x8.5" 46mm offset wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport P4S 235/40-19 (stock was 18"x8" 48mm offset with Bridgestone RE-097 235/45-18). 4) I had the silver strip in the grill painted gloss black.

The first two pictures were when it was completely stock.

Scott

I swear those wheels look real close to the stock wheels on my A4. And you are right about the Passats back seat, borders on limo like especially when compared to an A4.

20190518_174056.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by geeman789

So you stiffened up the ride with performance struts / shocks and lowering springs, and, went to an even bigger wheel / lower profile, ultra high performance tire, on a long distance commuter, where comfort seems like it would be more important than handling.

Who's car is this ... ?

Originally Posted by benjy
nice car + although those wheels look good going to a smaller diameter is better as more sidewall = less prone to damage + a better ride IMO, leave those "rubber band" tyres for racers!

Better slap some 16s and all seasons on there so granpappy can have a comfy commute to his doctor's appointments.

Who do you think actually buys a Passat ? Your typical GTI guy wouldn't be seen dead in one, and everyone else buys a Tiguan / Atlas.

Who do you think actually buys a Passat ? Your typical GTI guy wouldn't be seen dead in one, and everyone else buys a Tiguan / Atlas.

100% false. TONS of people in my VW group, VWVortex, etc. have and enjoy modifying their Passats.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

100% false. TONS of people in my VW group, VWVortex, etc. have and enjoy modifying their Passats.

This is BITOG, you're not allowed to ENJOY a car. They are merely soul sucking appliances designed to go from point A to point B as cheaply and "reliably" as possible, aka the Camry.

How much stiffer is it with the sport shocks and springs? I'm considering doing the same to my 300. I'll likely leave the sway bars alone, unless that provides a massive improvement.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

So you stiffened up the ride with performance struts / shocks and lowering springs, and, went to an even bigger wheel / lower profile, ultra high performance tire, on a long distance commuter, where comfort seems like it would be more important than handling.

Who's car is this ... ?

nice car + although those wheels look good going to a smaller diameter is better as more sidewall = less prone to damage + a better ride IMO, leave those "rubber band" tyres for racers!

Better slap some 16s and all seasons on there so granpappy can have a comfy commute to his doctor's appointments.

I have a Passat , and I'm not ashamed to be seen in it . I'm guessing your younger than me .I'm 50

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Very Ford Fusion-like
[Linked Image]

No! thast the new Jetta float wagon. VW have been Been Ford base stying for long time.

Or is it a Chrysler 200 - they ALL look alike from the side profile.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Jetta has Tesla 3 rear end copied.. Sad, Very Sad and BAD !

Another funny!
lol.gif

The Jetta had that rear design, long before Tesla released the Model 3. Years before.

This new design is simply an evolution of the last one as is normal for VW. Not too much revolutionary in their design language.

Those are sweet upgrades. Unfortunately VW softens vehicles these days for US market. That Passat rides on Skoda Superb platform, which proved really good.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

+1 Nice cars!

Originally Posted by Skippy722
This is BITOG, you're not allowed to ENJOY a car. They are merely soul sucking appliances designed to go from point A to point B as cheaply and "reliably" as possible, aka the Camry.

How much stiffer is it with the sport shocks and springs? I'm considering doing the same to my 300. I'll likely leave the sway bars alone, unless that provides a massive improvement.

For our Passat, using the components I purposely selected for the suspension upgrade, the ride is still very nice. It's not "stiff" or "harsh", not even close. But this is no surprise and is exactly what I wanted for this car. I've always been a suspension tuner and have changed just about every car we've bought in the last 40 years. Literally. In other words, I know what I'm doing.

My primary advice to you is that you do not lower your 300S too much. This is a common mistake that people make on all cars. The biggest thing is that you'll be smacking the bump stops more frequently than you should be. This is not only hard on the chassis, it makes for unpredictable handling characteristics. Secondly, lower too much and you increase the risk of grinding your front clip on driveways and curb stops.

I poked around for springs for your 300S. H&R does not offer anything. Eibach does, the Pro-Kit. I've used both H&R and Eibach over the years and consider them of equal quality. Eibach makes a spring for your 300S but the Pro-Kit may lower your car more than you want (and the Pro-Kit is their most mild spring). Struts and shocks? If you do put lowering springs in your car, always install new struts and shocks. I've always preferred Bilsteins over Konis because of Bilstein's much stronger "monotube" design (in the case of struts). That said, I've found that Bilsteins for German cars are made in Germany, while Bilsteins made for American cars are made in USA. The American made Bilsteins are, sadly, of a completely different design than the German made versions. The only thing they have in common is the yellow paint!

I suggest you join a Chrysler 300 forum. There are many. You can learn a lot there. But once again, don't lower your car too much!!!!!

Scott

geeman, check it out.

Scott

https://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?5301-Passat-(B7)

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by dwcopple
Very Ford Fusion-like
[Linked Image]

No! thast the new Jetta float wagon. VW have been Been Ford base stying for long time.

Or is it a Chrysler 200 - they ALL look alike from the side profile.

[Linked Image]

It's been my experience in life that most of them look and feel the same. :)

Scott

Considering the OP put on serious summer tires, the OP's wife doesn't care about sacrificing the ride quality from the slightly smaller sidewalls. 235/40 is still a decent enough sidewall profile. I had it in the 235/40r18 form on my previous Passat (with VW Driver Gear/Eibach Pro.kit springs, Bilstein (B8) Sports & H&R rear sway bar), and never bent a wheel on NJ roads.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Consider the OP's location. Their roads are much nicer than what we have here in midwest or north east.

People in CA think their roads are just as bad as the rest of the Snowbelt country, hence keeping the gas tax increases and registration increases (I just dropped $419 to renew my registration in CA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back