I bought a brqand new 2016 (!!!) VW Passat SEL Premium 3.6L VR6

Hello All:

I am starting this thread primarily to help the recent oil choice discussions regarding which oil to use on the new Volkswagen 3.6 liter VR6 engines.

I just bought a brand new 2016 VW Passat SEL Premium with the 3.6 liter motor. (More on the 2016 model year later).

My under hood sticker says to use VW502.00 only. Also too, my 2016 owners manual is just as confusing as KCJeep's. In one paragraph our manual recommends 5W-30 or 5W-40, but as the paragraph continues it says to use a viscosity that suits the climate. But in another paragraph on the same page it says if you have to add oil and all you have is 5W-40, add no more than 1/2 quart. This is both contradictory and confusing.

KCJeep's post. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...zoil-euro-lx-0w30-passat-vr6#Post4942810
motech's post. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4951702/vw-atlas-v6-oil#Post4951702

Furthermore I checked with two different VW dealers and asked what oil we should use in our new Passat. They said Castrol Professional 5W-40 (which both dealerships had stacks of 6 quart cases in the parts department, and which based on the approvals listed on the bottle looks like black bottle Castrol 5W-40, the stuff that "edyvw" hates so much). Haha!

Anyway, I am going to use Belgian Castrol 0W-30 - and without reservation. In fact, I already changed the factory fill and filter at 210 miles using that. What's nice about my choice too is that I use that oil in both my BMWs. Changing FF at 210 miles, you ask. Imagine how many cold starts were made on that thing, moving it 100 feet from here to there! I had to change it, and the oil looked as dark as something you'd see with 4K or 5K miles on it.

Now, with respect to buying a NEW 2016 model. Weird, eh? The thing MSRP'd at $36,835. I got it for $26,500 even plus tax and license. It had a build date of July 2016 and had 154 miles on it when I took delivery. It was grimy inside and dusty outside, but I didn't want them touching it. I carefully wiped down a few areas on the roof and hood to make sure the paint wasn't pitted, etc. Everything looked great. I spent 9 hours detailing the interior and exterior the following day and it literally looks brand new. Pun intended. The paint is truly perfect, very smooth and seems nice quality. Reef blue with black interior.

My wife is finishing off her career and has just 17 months to go. She drives 4,000 to 4,500 miles for that job (!), and has been commuting for the last 6 or 7 years (we moved away from the area). She has a very well paying "trophy job" which makes it worthwhile. Even splitting time in our Honda Element, she put 80K miles on the 2015 Ford Focus Titanium in just 3 years. Thank God we leased the Focus because the the DCT transmission ruined what was a perfectly fine automobile. She averaged just shy of 36mpg overall, but the car was small and the transmission was not giving me warm and fuzzies.

So, I bought the Passat as an upgrade for her. For the price, even with it being a 2016 model, I think I got a good deal. In 17 months it will be approaching 70k miles so IMO the model year doesn't really matter. In fact, I think it fits our needs perfectly. Given the mileage that she will be racking up, model year makes no difference. Of course, it has VW's brand new factory warranty.

As I said, I already changed the oil and filter the day I brought it home. My biggest worry was stale gasoline, so I topped it off myself and added a full bottle of Redline fuel system cleaner (it had about 2/3s of a tank in it when we got it.). I drove it just to burn gas after the oil change and topped it off again at 2/3's of a tank. Just so far this week my wife called and told me it's down to about 1/4 tank, so I told her to fill it up. I think the stale gasoline situation is good now.

We bought the car and in all likelihood we will sell it shortly after she retires. That said, the car is really nice. She likes it alot, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how nice it drives. Quiet, smooth, roomy, and it has all the latest safety technology. It has a nice exhaust rumble and seems like it has a lot of power too, although I haven't yet stomped in it. Perfect.

Sorry for the ramble,

Scott

Congrats! Pictures please. I almost said to update your signature but you already did that I see.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Congrats! Pictures please. I almost said to update your signature but you already did that I see.

I would if I could, but haven't since PhotoBucket started charging to host pictures.

Scott

I use imgur.com now. Works pretty easy. Although I thought photobucket stopped charging but could be wrong on that.

Very sharp, I'll post it up.

2016-Volkswagen-Passat-review-photos-AutoNation-003.jpg

Scott,
I know 80k in 3 years seems like a lot, but my friend from work drove his 2015 Edge 179,632 miles in 2 years and 9 months before getting a replacement. For work alone. Not counting his personal vehicle travel. In California Wine Country, for California winemaking glass container customers.
smile.gif

Good luck with the new Passat, don't cheap out on oil.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by SatinSilver

I would if I could, but haven't since PhotoBucket started charging to host pictures.

Scott

You can upload photos from your desktop. In full editor mode under the text box there's a picture uploader clicky.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Scott,
I know 80k in 3 years seems like a lot, but my friend from work drove his 2015 Edge 179,632 miles in 2 years and 9 months before getting a replacement. For work alone. Not counting his personal vehicle travel. In California Wine Country, for California winemaking glass container customers.
smile.gif

Good luck with the new Passat, don't cheap out on oil.

That's crazy mileage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not cheaping out on oil. No way. I only run high quality fluids. In fact, I just ordered 2 cases from Amazon at $72 per 6 pack! I used to get it for $50-ish. I'll be doing 5K OCIs, which means an oil change every 5 or 6 weeks! I take exception care of all my stuff, from car to house to everything. I'm pretty OCD about my stuff. Always have been.

Scott

Love the VW VR6 engines. Smooth as silk, good power, and sexy exhaust note. Wish they put that engine in more vehicles.

Thanks to AZJeff for helping me with upload pictures using the full editor. Here is our new Passat.

Also attached are pictures of the family it is joining.

Scott

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the VW family. I love the Passat, very clean handsome lines. I almost ended up with a 2018 R line earlier this year.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Love the VW VR6 engines. Smooth as silk, good power, and sexy exhaust note. Wish they put that engine in more vehicles.

I've always been an inline 6 guy (hence the BMWs), but yes, I agree. The VR6 seems like a nice motor. I'm looking forward to having it in our stable of machines.

Scott

Originally Posted by gregk24
Welcome to the VW family. I love the Passat, very clean handsome lines. I almost ended up with a 2018 R line earlier this year.

Thank you. Not since I my first car, which was a 1962 VW bug, this is only the second VW I've ever owned. Agree about the handsome lines of the Passat.

Also too, you see our K24 powered Element? I'm 65 years old and the Element is the first Honda I've ever owned! In that picture it's got almost 180K miles on it. I take very good care of our stuff. I do 100% of my own work. Since buying them new, neither BMW has been touched by anyone else but me (aside from the smog test guy). The Honda had one repair that the dealer did at about 115K miles. I was out of time, not ability.

Scott

I had a 2015 Passat TDI and loved it. Passats have huge rear seats and they handle very nicely. Good deal on a VR6

Nice car! Honestly if I could have found an SEL with the V6 I probably would have bought it over the GT, although I am loving the GT and have no regrets.

I can't find any VW 502 in 0w30 locally, you are getting Castrol on Amazon?

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Nice car! Honestly if I could have found an SEL with the V6 I probably would have bought it over the GT, although I am loving the GT and have no regrets.

I can't find any VW 502 in 0w30 locally, you are getting Castrol on Amazon?

Yes, I buy it on Amazon. Right now it's $72 per 6 quart case, which is higher than it used to be when I last ordered it. It was about $50 six months ago.

The real economy in owning a car is to maintain it well, not beat it up, and to keep it well past 100K miles. IMO, $72 is not an issue, especially for your brand new car, a car you said you are going to baby! Treat it well and keep it long time - that's where you save money. Trying to save $25 on a case of oil is false economy to me.

That VR6 motor is really nice, isn't it? Congrats on your car too.

Scott

Originally Posted by gregk24

Thank you. Not since I my first car, which was a 1962 VW bug, this is only the second VW I've ever owned. Agree about the handsome lines of the Passat.

Also too, you see our K24 powered Element? I'm 65 years old and the Element is the first Honda I've ever owned! In that picture it's got almost 180K miles on it. I take very good care of our stuff. I do 100% of my own work. Since buying them new, neither BMW has been touched by anyone else but me (aside from the smog test guy). The Honda had one repair that the dealer did at about 115K miles. I was out of time, not ability.

Scott

It too looks good! You certainly do take good care of your vehicles. We are like minded in that regard.

SubieRubyRoo said:
Scott,
I take exception care of all my stuff, from car to house to everything. I'm pretty OCD about my stuff. Always have been.

Scott

That is the understatement of the year!! Anyone who washes and details the suspension/underside of a car falls into the, uh, "detail oriented" crowd
laugh.gif

Nice VW, love the VR6s! Change the breather often, rear main seals on these cars are weak, especially the VR6. This car will last ya a long time, particularly given that it will be taken care of better than 99.9% of the cars on the road.

P.S.I still want your 330 when you sell LOL.

Back