Chev Trailblazer shocks/struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not a detailed how to thread, its just a few pictures and some basic info. On a previous thread I was looking for Bilstein 4600's and used the advice on the board and got a set from Rockauto. Very happy with their website, prices and shipping. Got a great deal and the shipping was much faster than expected. 468 C$ shipped to my office.

Rear shocks on this platform are easy. No need to remove wheels, spare or even jack it up. While new shocks are hard to compress to get that last bolt in, it can be done with some muscle.

The fronts are time consuming but straight forward. 5 hours from setup, install, cleanup, test drive, oil change and even throw in 2.5 gallons of DEF in my truck. Vehicle is up on jackstands, wheels off. Remove the pinch bolt on the upper CA to drop the spindle/knuckle down. While it may not be necessary to remove the tie rod ends, it is easy to do and allows more movement of the spindle. To gain a little more drop in the LCA, I drop all 4 bolts holding the sway bar up. Again, it may not be necessary but its easy to do. Then unbolt the pinch bolt on the bottom of the strut. Spread the gap with a punch and hammer. Smack the strut arm (not sure of the term) with a hammer and it will eventually work its way below the strut.

Now you remove the 2 bolts on the strut tower to drop out the strut. I bought a cheap coil spring compressor in 2014, for about 40$ all in. Works like a charm. Just use it wisely. Its a simple unbolt and swap for the new struts and reverse for their install. I use a floor jack to raise the LCA up as I wiggle the strut into its arm. Everything gets a nice dose of antiseize aswell.

Night and day difference with the new 4600's in place. No more dancing over washboards.

teardown.jpg

compressor.jpg

teardown 2.jpg

install.jpg

new.jpg

old.jpg

Yeah, nice work. And accurately described.

Also, I like your experienced honesty about the time to do your fronts. You count actual start to finish, along with other miscellaneous things too. It always makes me laugh when people claim they can do both raw struts in 45 minutes in their garage, plus change engine and all drive train fluids as well. Yeah, right.

Cheers. Keep it up the good work.

Scott

PS My wife and I had a Saab 9-7x several years ago. I put Bilsteins and Eibachs on it. That big 4.2 litre (?) DOHC inline six was strong and smooth. A great motor.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Yeah, nice work. And accurately described.

Also, I like your experienced honesty about the time to do your fronts. You count actual start to finish, along with other miscellaneous things too. It always makes me laugh when people claim they can do both raw struts in 45 minutes in their garage, plus change engine and all drive train fluids as well. Yeah, right.

Cheers. Keep it up the good work.

Scott

PS My wife and I had a Saab 9-7x several years ago. I put Bilsteins and Eibachs on it. That big 4.2 litre (?) DOHC inline six was strong and smooth. A great motor.

I'll second SLO_Towns comments. Very nice write up and great job and explanation
smile.gif

Thanks guys for the kind words! While not detailed, I hope it helps someone else try it themselves and save $$$$. My electric impact sped up a few of the bolts but not many as you always seem to run into space constraints. I wasted time trying to size up the correct socket/universal joint/extension combo to remove the rear most, driver side upper strut bolt. It is partially blocked by the master cylinder and causes some higher blood pressure. The bolts extend well past the nut, which requires a deep socket but the deep socket creates too little gap between it and the MC. But it can be done with my inexpensive socket set.

I do try to be accurate on time needed. The last thing I want is someone becoming stranded because their vehicle is in pieces up on blocks and they need to be somewhere else. Oh ya I can change the struts out in 45 minutes... when they are already out and I just need to compress the spring...

Great write up!

You'll love the Bilstein 4600s. Suspension upgrades were the first thing I did in my Envoy, and the Bilsteins combed with a Hotchkiss rear sway bar hit the spot.
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, loving them so far. Firmed up the ride and so much more control over the rough roads. Got to keep this old girl working for sometime longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back