New BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT from Discount Tire

My wife's 2013 Equinox LS needed new tires. Costco had a good price on these, 225/65R17, $539 including tax. Costco's rotation scheduling is not good, and I've been happy with Discount Tire, so with a visit, they came within $6.00 of Costco; bought at Discount Tire! They are fresh, 29th week of 2020.

Quick easy installation. Invoice says 35 psi, matching vehicle label. Took off on a quick trip to a state park the next morning ... looked on the dash display, warm tires are 34, 37, 39, 31. OOPS, 2 leakers? Next morning, same differences (about 2 psi lower, 60 degree night) I don't carry a compressor, but decided they were safe so continued without getting air. Differences remained the same for the 3 day trip.

3 days later at home, cool ... my gauge matches the 1st pressures, but different locations ... no leak, but not equal pressures, TPMS apparently weren't reset.

After about 500 miles, tires ride smoothly, had no problems with several hurricane remnants in NC foothills. We don't see the need for 3PMS but it supposedly helps wet traction, and the "mileage warranty" is pretty good; It MIGHT snow in Greenville SC, but our intention is to stay home if and when it does.

I'm a little frustrated with the Discount Tire installation missing pressure setting and TPMS resetting. I fixed the pressure problem, and will stop by there when it is convenient if they do reset, as I think they do.

(Oh, no mention of DOT number registration nor numbers on the invoice; previously, I had to do that, but the installer gave me a form ... is it automatic now?)

Nice! I have the BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport tires on my Cadillac DTS. I think they're okay, but might be a bit noisy. Have you noticed an increase in road noise?

I registered my tires manually on the BF Goodrich website.

For the TPMS sensors. You can do a relearn yourself if you'd like. It involves setting the car to TPMS relearn mode first. Then you go around deflating each tire a bit until the car relearns the new positions.

If you buy a $10 TPMS tool from Amazon, you can use that to relearn the sensors too. Except you don't need to deflate any tires and only takes 20 seconds to finish

Re noise ... 1st 100 miles, I thought a little noisy. Next 400, normal. It probably was the road surface more than anything. Re TPMS relearn, Yeah, I understand the pressure dropping reset, a PITA. I'll see what Discount Tire says and buy a tool from Amazon if they don't do it anymore. Re registering, I'll probably do it; 2 times won't hurt.

It seems that you can't count on Discount Tire to routinely reset your TPMS sensors. On my first visit for rotation after purchasing four tires, I made the mistake of assuming they would reset the sensors. Drove 50 miles and still no reading. Had to go back. I believe this is because some systems are self-learning and others, like my Infiniti, are not. Otherwise DT's pricing and service have been excellent.

Same tires I am looking at for my Nox....planning on staying in the family, whether it is Michelin, these BF TAs, or Uniroyals...all solid tires for this little Chevy......

I've noted that BF Goodrich Advantage tend to develop cracks in the tread surface as they get past a certain age so they might not be a good tire to consider if you don't put many miles on a vehicle. Probably not an issue until 7 or 8 years though

Nice! I have the BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport tires on my Cadillac DTS. I think they're okay, but might be a bit noisy. Have you noticed an increase in road noise?

I registered my tires manually on the BF Goodrich website.

For the TPMS sensors. You can do a relearn yourself if you'd like. It involves setting the car to TPMS relearn mode first. Then you go around deflating each tire a bit until the car relearns the new positions.

If you buy a $10 TPMS tool from Amazon, you can use that to relearn the sensors too. Except you don't need to deflate any tires and only takes 20 seconds to finish

GM got rid of the deflate method for the TPMS. The TPMS tool is a requirement even on the 2013.

My dealer will sometimes forget to reset the TPMS when doing a tire rotation during an inspection or something, so I invested in the tool for my 2015 Equinox.

GM got rid of the deflate method for the TPMS. The TPMS tool is a requirement even on the 2013.

My dealer will sometimes forget to reset the TPMS when doing a tire rotation during an inspection or something, so I invested in the tool for my 2015 Equinox.

Huh, interesting. I didn't know they removed the deflate option.

But yes, I agree 100% about the TPMS tool. I've never had a tire shop reset the sensors after a tire rotation. When I was driving my car home from the dealer, I got a Low PSI message. Went to a gas station to fill the tire with air, but kept putting air in the wrong tire. The sensors were never reset after a rotation.

I've also used it to program the pair a new TPMS sensor on a full size spare.

OP, I’m glad you’re enjoying the tires and hope they treat you well.

However, while I love this tire for its snow ability. Wet traction is abysmal. I thought it was just me, then I found a decent amount of reviews with the same complaint and Tire Rack testing showing the same. Currently have them on the CX-5 and will not be buying them again.

Back