Tire blowout during road trip @ 75mph

Had the not-so pleasant experience of a tire blowout on our cross country road trip earlier in the week. We were traveling to southern New Hampshire for a funeral from our home in northern Kentucky. Our route was I-71 from Louisville to Cleveland area, then on I-90 up through Erie, PA, then took I-86 east through upstate New York (the interstate that is south of I-90; I-90 is the toll road that costs a fortune and forces you to stop at pre-determined super expensive rest stops so I avoid it like the plague [end rant]). I-86 takes you 2/3 of the way through NY, then it's I-88 to Albany, then cross Vermont through state highways.

My wife and I take turns driving through the night, so one of us gets rest while the other drives. Trip would normally take about 16 hours. About a half hour east of Jamestown, NY (in the middle of nowhere, for those not familiar with I-86, a pretty desolate interstate) my wife wakes me up, and sort of calmly tells me that she hit something in the road. Her voice is drowned out by a loud THUMP-THUMP-THUMP and chimes coming from the instrument panel. Look over and the TPMS is reading 0 PSI on the passenger rear, and all the ABS related idiot lights are lit up like a Christmas tree. It's 4:00am and pitch black. I get out to assess the situation, clearly the tire is flat, but I was surprised to see the rim squashed in a couple places-- yep this isn't going to be a quick fix. Sounds crazy, but whatever she ran over got a REAR tire and missed the fronts entirely.

Before leaving, I hadn't checked the spare so condition was unknown, and vehicle is rather new to us. I've driven cross country literally dozens and dozens of time, and this is my first experience of the sort, so I was never in the habit of checking spare before leaving. I've had cars that didn't even have a spare so don't normally think anything of it. Luckily the spare had never been driven on, low on air, but enough to limp to a service station and top it up to the required 60 PSI. Naturally it was frozen to the bottom of the car, and required breaking the spare tire mount to remove. Out of necessity (nothing open and certainly no decent size town that would have a rim, we drove on the spare doing 55 for a couple hours, checking its condition periodically until we got to Binghamton, the first town that might possibly have a replacement rim. Luckily we found an auto recycler there, and picked up a used Pacifica rim & tire. The rim didn't match, it was 17" instead of 19" but the offset and bolt pattern were identical. Had to use a tire size calculator to find the appropriate size tire to make the circumference as close as possible to the originals. Cost $100 for both the rim, and a near-brand new P245/65/R17 Michelin Latitude Tour.

Long story short, after about a 5 hour delay we were back on the road and made it to NH and back no problems. Wife still doesn't know what she hit, I even went back to the scene after we put the spare on, and didn't locate anything on or beside the road that could have caused this, so it's a mystery what the road debris was. Wife handled the situation perfectly, didn't do any crazy maneuvers or slam on the brakes, which would be a natural reaction when you're about to hit something in the road. Car itself seems no worse for the wear, but with an impact that large, I'm going to take it into an alignment shop and get it checked out. ABS lights corrected themselves, I think the difference in wheel speed rolling on a flat tire set a fault code. Pretty wild ride, I was [censored] at the time, but grateful that only an inconvenience and a $400 rim/tire combo I have to replace is all I'm out.

2KL1M.jpg

2KL1N.jpg

2KL1P.jpg

2KL1Q.jpg

2KL1R.jpg

Glad you're all OK.

When you wrote "tire blowout" I thought your tire literally exploded / ruptured. But looking at the photos, it's only the rim that appears to be damaged, although tire sidewall may have suffered some internal damage as well.

235/55 is not exactly a low profile, so you must have hit something really substantial to bend a rim like that.

Glad you are safe! Your wife kept a cool head and did a great job not overcorrecting and freeking out. As Pete said, hit something serious to bend that rim. What a mystery?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Glad you're all OK.

When you wrote "tire blowout" I thought your tire literally exploded / ruptured. But looking at the photos, it's only the rim that appears to be damaged, although tire sidewall may have suffered some internal damage as well.

Indeed, there was a cause for the blowout (other than random failure one would normally attribute a blowout to), but it did blow out-- there is a 2" x 2" L-shaped rip in the sidewall that is sort of visible in the bottom of the second photo-- hard to see as the photo was taken with a crappy cell-phone camera.

Wow, great ending to what could have been a bad situation!

What a lick to bend up a wheel like that, you may have had the best possible resolution to what could have been a lot worse!

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
but it did blow out-- there is a 2" x 2" L-shaped rip in the sidewall that is sort of visible in the bottom of the second photo-- hard to see as the photo was taken with a crappy cell-phone camera.
Oh, I see it now. Thanks.

I had a major blowout last spring, the tire was shredded. I was on a highway in LA with a very narrow shoulder and I had to cross 4 lanes of heavy traffic to get there. At least it was 2pm and a replacement tire was a mile away!

I had a blow out in the same tire as the OP on the hwy. Luckily it happened during the day time so I saw the object. It was one of those short rubber strap hold downs for trailers that have tarps over them. Each end of the strap has metal hooks. Front tire ran over it but the hook caught in the rear tire and ripped it causing a gash. Had to put on spare which was low on air but a service station was close by. Now I watch out for them like a hawk. They look rather harmless until the tire hits one that wrong way.

Better to run over an object sometimes than swerving and losing control. Same for hitting animals. And yes I love animals.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

Wife still doesn't know what she hit, I even went back to the scene after we put the spare on, and didn't locate anything on or beside the road that could have caused this, so it's a mystery what the road debris was.

It's a shame you couldn't find it, it could be worth something on ebay. It sounds like the debris that NASCAR uses when they decide it's time for a caution.

Gary's in Binghamton is a good junkyard!

Check the front tire for scuffs on the inside or out. I'm guessing that whatever it was grazed the front tire then moved enough to ruin the rear wheel.

Wasn't a pothole-- she said there was a bunch of "car parts" in the road, couldn't really elaborate, but insisted it was impossible to miss all of them. Her best guess was that someone hit a deer or something and left some parts scattered on the highway, but nothing was there when I went back to take a look. It's possible a cop or someone could have come by and removed them in the time it took us to change the tire. We drove down to the next off-ramp, wasn't safe changing a tire on the shoulder of the interstate at that time of the morning.

Did you save the old rim? That rim just looks bent, not cracked so usually shops can bend it back. Not sure about that chrome finish though. My 40's and 45's series tires get bent rims all the time. About $115 to get them bent back.

Or you ran over s hunk of steel bar or flat stock that acted like a crow bar when driven into the tire/rim at 75 mph under the weight of a 4000 lb. vehicle. That's a lot of prying force and could easily deform the rim. The bar could have been ejected after one revolution and flung 50-100 ft away. Depending on your angle to the travel line, you'd only need to miss the front tires by 0-1 inch in order to run over something with the rear. Could have occurred during a slight curve in the road, enough to miss the fronts but hit the rear.

Hard to mistake a pot hole hit at 75 mph. The whole car would shake. No such response with a flying piece of metal.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Did you save the old rim? That rim just looks bent, not cracked so usually shops can bend it back. Not sure about that chrome finish though. My 40's and 45's series tires get bent rims all the time. About $115 to get them bent back.

I did keep the rim in case I had to file an insurance claim (if something in the suspension was messed up, which it appears is not the case). The rim is bent pretty good, but not cracked. The wheel is actually "chrome clad aluminum" a dumb Chrysler invention-- aluminum wheel with a plastic chrome cover (though it is not easily removable thus not a true hubcap). The Chrome plastic part is just pushed out with the aluminum, but otherwise undamaged. If someone could straighten the wheel, I'm sure they could save the chrome plastic part. Are there shops that specialize in this wheel repair and is it local or would I have to send it somewhere? $115 would be much cheaper than a new wheel, probably even a used one.

Looks to me like the tire got pinched between whatever caused the rim to bend. You see that a lot on off-road tires with low pressure. This is why when I'm traveling long distance I keep tires inflated to the high end of their spec. IMO 32 psi is not enough air if you hit anything substantial at highway speed. And the lower the tires profile the less margin you have.

I'd say the place in Binghamton treated you well. If we were all so lucky to find a place like that, when in a bind like that.

Plus, $100 seems to be a very reasonable cost to me.

Back