Tire blowout during road trip @ 75mph

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Looks to me like the tire got pinched between whatever caused the rim to bend. You see that a lot on off-road tires with low pressure. This is why when I'm traveling long distance I keep tires inflated to the high end of their spec. IMO 32 psi is not enough air if you hit anything substantial at highway speed. And the lower the tires profile the less margin you have.

I actually aired tires up to 38 front / 36 rear before leaving-- I do just as you mentioned and air the tires up a few PSI over OE spec, if for nothing more than MPG improvement. Whatever it was we hit, a tire blowout seems unavoidable given the amount of rim damage. I'm just lucky to have not damaged anything in the rear suspension, so far as I can tell.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'd say the place in Binghamton treated you well. If we were all so lucky to find a place like that, when in a bind like that.

Plus, $100 seems to be a very reasonable cost to me.

Yep, my assumption was that I'd have to find a tire dealer and buy the cheapest possible wheel with matching bolt pattern (probably $200 or so with tire shop prices), then a new tire on top-- both of which I'd have to replace when I got home with the correct size tires. 19" tires and especially rims are hard to find and almost always special order at all but the largest tire shops. Very lucky that I'm not out $400 or more just to get rolling again. Was able to get the used stuff and mounted in less than a couple hours, that's hard to beat when you're stranded somewhere.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Did you save the old rim? That rim just looks bent, not cracked so usually shops can bend it back. Not sure about that chrome finish though. My 40's and 45's series tires get bent rims all the time. About $115 to get them bent back.

I did keep the rim in case I had to file an insurance claim (if something in the suspension was messed up, which it appears is not the case). The rim is bent pretty good, but not cracked. The wheel is actually "chrome clad aluminum" a dumb Chrysler invention-- aluminum wheel with a plastic chrome cover (though it is not easily removable thus not a true hubcap). The Chrome plastic part is just pushed out with the aluminum, but otherwise undamaged. If someone could straighten the wheel, I'm sure they could save the chrome plastic part. Are there shops that specialize in this wheel repair and is it local or would I have to send it somewhere? $115 would be much cheaper than a new wheel, probably even a used one.

Well I go to this shop in MA:

https://wheelsolutionsinc.com/

It's $95 to bend it back, $20 to balance the tire so $115 a wheel. There may be some cheaper places, usually the local tire store will know what shops do it so just ask around. Most of the others ones I tried all wanted about $100 but that guy was decent at $115, not a long wait and he pretty much did it in a hour each time.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Luckily the spare had never been driven on, low on air, but enough to limp to a service station and top it up to the required 60 PSI.

If I may make a suggestion, on cross country trips, you need to have supplies/tools.

12 volt air pump ($20 at Amazon or Walmart)
jumper cables
small tool kit to at least get the battery out and other minor repairs
1/2 inch breaker bar and proper size socket for your lug nuts (about $20 at harbor Freight for both.)
duct tape (can piece your car together or tape a radiator hose back together)
case of water
snacks / food
weather appropriate clothing and footwear
blankets/warm weather sleeping bag in winter (will save your life if the roads become impassable and you get stuck in the car for 2 days)

So is the 17" rim a permanent fix? Or permanent to buy you breathing room to figure something out? Did you get the TPMS sensor moved to this rim and working good?

There's all sorts of weird stuff that comes out at 4 am. Chupacabras.
lol.gif

The 17" rim was a quick fix to get back on the road, and ultimately back home. It would have meant ordering online and waiting days to get the correct 19" rim. Now I can take my time and find a good condition one on Ebay, or I may order NOS from Rockauto which is about $300. Will have to get a pair of Cooper CS5 Ultras, as I'm not sure I want to buy just one tire-- still mulling that over.

The TPMS is still on the bent rim, I will either get it transferred to the new one, or if the new one comes with one installed, will have it programmed.

I like 1-90 through NY. I used it when I drove the Borman 6 to meets in Mississauga ON Mass line to the Peace Bridge exit, $ 16.72. We didnt frequent rest traps. We got off in E.Syracuse, drove to a Wegmans for subs, food, beer and CLEAN restroom. Gassed up and back on I 90. 40 minutes flat. Had another pit stop in Buffalo. Another in PA, another Wegmans and gas on the way to !-81 S. Look for chain stores that are close to interstates when planning road trips :cool:

I did keep the rim in case I had to file an insurance claim (if something in the suspension was messed up, which it appears is not the case). The rim is bent pretty good, but not cracked.

Please post pictures of this carnage!

Back