New automatic drip coffee maker needed..

Look for a SCA certified machine. The Moccamaster and the Breville are in that bunch.

Regarding a percolator, they get a bad rap. If you use quality coffee and keep it clean it will make a very nice cuppa. I used to use one at work in my office. Early in the morning the smell would permeate the workplace and coworkers would stop by to pour a cup.

Bunn or nothing. They make a full pot in less than 3 min that is perfect, they use a spray head not a percolating drip. I have this one..

Don't they have to have a water supply connection and/or water filled or they take awhile to heat up?

We have a bunn coffee maker at work,
i switched to the department i'm in now over 20 years ago and the coffee maker was there then. This unit runs 365 days a year and makes a minimum of 3 pots a day so over 20000 pots without a breakdown .
does it make the best coffee, i don't know ? it does the job it was made to do.

I do like the flavor that different coffee makers brew when we visit friends & family. IDK what coffee maker each of them have in their home but I do notice that some folks just simply make a better pot of coffee than others do. Sometimes it’s the coffee brand and other times it’s how much extra grounds they shovel into the basket. :coffee::giggle:

Last edited:

My favorite is Zojirushi EC-YTC100XB Coffee Maker. 10-Cup stainless steel carafe keeps Coffee hot for hours. Its pricey at $179 but worth it.​

Don't they have to have a water supply connection and/or water filled or they take awhile to heat up?
Not all of them, the one I have and the home models hold water that is always up to temp when you add water it forces the hot water through the machine when you close the lid. You only turn the warming plate on or off not the machine itself. It is very rare to hear it heating water.
The only time it takes longer to heat up is when you first fill the machine.
The Bunn puts the rest of these POS to shame, through the years I have used many many of these things and there is no comparison for a real coffee drinker.

We've had a Cuisinart coffee maker for about 20 years. Our daughter has one too. They're hard to beat.

The switch has been touchy for about 5 years but it keeps on going. When it fails I'll get - a new switch.

Similar to this:
This is the one I have, been about 20 years and still good, from Costco. Now, it has been so long that I don't know if quality has changed. But I sure haven't managed to kill this one yet.

Once I got a Bunn, I never looked back. Can't stand all the gurgling, puking noises that regular AD pots make.

We had a big, commercial Bunn in the laundry room for 14 years and we gave it away when we moved into our new house... But those are amazing.... Full pot of hot coffee in about 3 minutes.

But they are about $230.

And, they keep water hot in the unit 24/7.

Most Bunn coffeemakers are commercial machines that need to be plumbed (preferably to a filtered source) but they have some that have water poured into a tank. This one clearly has a tank where the hatch is lifted and water poured in. This style is called a pourover. They also have high output boilers that can supposedly boil the water in less than a minute. Some of these even have hot water dispensers.

vpr.jpg

They also have consumer level coffeemakers. Home coffeemakers tend to heat water on demand, which then use a thermal siphon to circulate the hot water to the top where it drops into the basket.

38300.0067_BX_1.jpg

you could just....use a pot and hand drip it?

That's how I make my coffee, although I need some sort of filter holder. The way I do it would be to use a separate cup, pour boiled water into my cup, then into the coffee (reduces the temp a little bit which I consider ideal), and then through the filter.

There are a variety of plastic, metal, and ceramic filter holders. Blue Bottle seems to use ceramic ones.

bee-house-ceramic-dripper-bkk-15s-0__99625.1597179148.jpg

One of the things that is supposed to make a difference is the water. I like it somewhat soft. If the water is too hard it will leave scale everywhere and often it doesn't taste right. Another thing I remember hearing is that preheating the water might not be ideal because it loses dissolved oxygen, which affects the taste. The commercial machines that keep water hot may have this. Espresso machines can't really control this either as they keep the water hot by default.

This is one reason why I prefer to make it manually with a cone filter. I can control when the water is placed in there, although that should also be possible with a regular coffeemaker. I've heard of a trick to shake the water in a bottle to oyxgenate it - i.e. shaken, not stirred.

The big commercial machines also aren't adjustable. They're only designed to make a full pot.

The coffeemakers that have a programmed bloom pour at the start are supposedly better. This mimics the pour over technique. The bloom is CO2 gas being vented off the grounds.

The water itself is important. I use a Brita jug for coffee and drinking. Another tip is when you pour your coffee to pour from a height into the cup so that oxygen is admitted.

Technivorm Moccamaster. You can remove the lid from the brew basket and stir the water/coffee slurry if you like. Mine has a manual drip stop so you can let the water back up to pre-infuse the coffee. Old world craftsmanship from the Netherlands. It’s very quiet too, with hardly any of the gurgling and glooping of most coffeemakers. Love it.

This one clearly has a tank where the hatch is lifted and water poured in. This style is called a pourover. They also have high output boilers that can supposedly boil the water in less than a minute.
That's not how they work - Trav explained it already too. They always have hot water in their reservoir, ready to go. When you first get a Bunn like this, you fill the internal reservoir - it takes 1-2 full carafes of water to do this. Then you turn it on which is only for the reservoir heater. When you want to make coffee, you add the amount you want to make which it "measures" and pulls that same amount from the heated water reservoir. Once you close the lid, it immediately starts making coffee. I make (6) cups normally and it's ready in 2-3 minutes.

That's not how they work - Trav explained it already too. They always have hot water in their reservoir, ready to go. When you first get a Bunn like this, you fill the internal reservoir - it takes 1-2 full carafes of water to do this. Then you turn it on which is only for the reservoir heater. When you want to make coffee, you add the amount you want to make which it "measures" and pulls that same amount from the heated water reservoir. Once you close the lid, it immediately starts making coffee. I make (6) cups normally and it's ready in 2-3 minutes.

I was only referring to the way the tank is filled. The seller refers to them as pourovers. We used to have one of these in an office where I worked and ours had a hot water outlet. But no I wasn't saying that they heated water on demand.

Back