New 2022 VW Jetta, pics released.

in my test driving experience the 1.4tsi engine has zero highway passing oomph. is the 1.5tsi any better?

VW makes solid, nice driving cars for sure. Not a fan of digital dash simply because of the look but expect to see more and more of them from everyone.

And at least VW will still sell you a sedan, as mentioned you can even get a manual!

The bumper are on the previous gen was over wrought, and it is this on as well.
Can we have some elegance and conservatism here other than the 'Look at me with all these NON FUNCTIONAL aero-hindering doo-dads plastered everywhere. Then the faux exhaust outlets with chrome look surrounds - good night!

I hope they enlarged the tiny side view mirrors as the rear view is horrendous out this highly flawed body.
I know, I lived with one for a couple years. Is a corolla a better car overall in this class ? doubt it, but I haven't driven one,

Here is the Czech Skoda Octavia, same car, different Market. Not great either and a bit too "KIA" looking.

Skoda.jpg

I have a 1.8 golf, the new 1.5 is just gonna feel slightly slower than that. Aka not enough fun for enthusiasts, but just right for normal economy buyers.
the 1.8tsi jetta and golf that i tried awhile ago both flew down the highway. the 1.4tsi jetta is a loafer when it comes to passing, but okay as a suburban errand-doer. i guess that i must endure the dealership experience and try the 1.5tsi, as i will hand-off my well-liked and -cared for passat to my younger son next year when he leaves active duty for grad school.

Car looks just fine to me.
The alloys shown are needlessly busy....bit I say that all the time. I just resent having to pay for senseless bling.
I think molding honeycombs into plastic surfaces is wretched.

BIGGEST "WE'LL SEE": How new digital carp and LED headlights fare over time.

BIGGEST GRIPE: All I want is a 'station wagon' version of any sedan.
For Heaven's sake they even made 'estate' versions of James Bonds' and Simon Templar's cars.

Still kicking myself for not buying a VW during the 6 year warranty (post dieselgate) years.

I would much rather they kept and boosted the Golf and ditched the Jetta !

I find sedans have little versatility - but some are for style over utility, and those guys may have a truck or a SUV in the stable.

The Golf has been discontinued!
I grew up with coupes and sedans and they are what I still drive except for my wife's H3.
There's a butt for every seat.

the 1.8tsi jetta and golf that i tried awhile ago both flew down the highway. the 1.4tsi jetta is a loafer when it comes to passing, but okay as a suburban errand-doer. i guess that i must endure the dealership experience and try the 1.5tsi, as i will hand-off my well-liked and -cared for passat to my younger son next year when he leaves active duty for grad school.
They feel faster than they are, great torque comes on at 1600 rpms. The illusion of effortless driving at part throttle is there. I believe they really pushed MPG hard on the 1.4.

I would much rather they kept and boosted the Golf and ditched the Jetta !

I find sedans have little versatility - but some are for style over utility, and those guys may have a truck or a SUV in the stable.

The Golf has been discontinued!
We always had a soft spot for the Golf and I wish VW hadn't discontinued it, however rear seat leg room was nonexistent, it had little trunk space and it got worse MPG than the Jetta. As far as versatility goes, most sedans offer more trunk space than the equivalent SUV. More usable space anyway. That coupled with better MPG, lower up front price, and better driving dynamics make them a win. Americans just don't get it.

We love the 1.4 TSI. We owned the 1.8 TSI for 6 years and it was a suite engine, but we don't find the 1.4 lacking. It has plenty of torque down low and plenty of passing power on the highway as well, at least when paired with the 8 speed auto. Love the drivetrain!

Digital cluster is fine, reduces assembly costs, as VW only needs to stock 1 cluster at the manufacturing plant instead of 2.

But, the problem with digital clusters is primarily if you want maps on the cluster, you have to use the manufacturer's nav system, not the Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze that people actually use.

Hate the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Grin that is on the BMW 3-series, and VW sedans

Back