New 2022 VW Jetta, pics released.

I’ve been waiting for VW to officially release pics and info on the mid cycle refreshed Jetta. The rumors are true, it does get the new 1.5 TSI (ea211 evo). Also standard now is the digital dash.

My thoughts on the new design…I’m not a fan of the new front and rear bumpers. They are too curvaceous and don’t follow the design of the rest of the car IMO. I don’t care for the wheels on the SEL model also (only model pictured so far, besides GLI).

The new engine gains around 10 HP but has same torque. I’m sure it gets better MPG as well. The use of a variable vane turbo, plasma coated cylinder liners and high bar fuel pressure aid there. Not sure how reliable this will be long term.

It now has digital dash standard. VW Audi do this well, but this will be very expensive to replace after warranty. If it breaks it will be necessary to replace as it shows speed and fuel level among other important info. Nice to have as an option, but I’m glad we have a 2021 with analog gauges.

Overall I think the package will appeal to the masses, it’s just less premium looking as far as exterior design goes. Just my opinion.

Side note, my brother and his wife are in need of a second car and are looking to purchase a new 2021 S model as soon as more arrive at the dealer. We will now be a 3 Jetta family. My MIL started the VW trend in our family. Not even 7 years ago our family had never owned a VW. Since then our family has owned 8 VW’s, with a 9th on the way. We love them. Are you listening VW? 😂

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictures/2022-volkswagen-jetta/

I like the design overall (even including the digital dash) but thought the fuel gauge with only 8 "pips" was kinda funny. There's not much precision there! Otherwise, it's a clean design and a nice car; I'd certainly consider one if I were in the market (is it just me or does the Jetta seem to look a bit larger than others in its class?)

I like it, In pictures at least. I said the same thing about the Elantra until I saw a lower spec'd version on the road. It reminds me of the spaceship in the 80s arcade game, Asteroids. BTW, that's not a good thing imo. But this refresh on the Jetta doesn't strike me as taking away the premium conservative good looks.

Last edited:
D@amn you Tesla !!!! I simply can't stand digital dashboards because it removes the a design feature that can be tailored towards the automaker and is ever present. Now it's just a bunch of graphics which I'm sure in the not too distant future people will be able to modify (Ferrari dashboard on this Jetta). BFD.

The redesign looks good btw. Evolutionary as a LCI should be.

Last edited:
Back