2014 VW Jetta 40,000 mile update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jetta hit 40,000 miles recently, so I figured I would give you all a short update. The vehicle was purchased new in June of 2014. The 2014 model was a refresh year, with two significant mechanical updates. The brand new (for that year) 1.8 TSI engine which replaced the 2.5 liter 5 cylinder, and fully independent suspension. Previous models had a torsion beam. These were welcome updates since she (my wife) had a 2013 model previously that was totaled in an accident.

Let me start by saying, when my wife (girlfriend at the time) got her Jetta I told her that one day we would just trade it in for a Civic or something "more reliable". Back then to me VW was a brand that I would never think of purchasing since "everybody knows" VW's are just not reliable and have terrible resale value. Well, I suppose the resale part is still true
wink.gif
however, this car has really changed my opinion of VW. I have become quite the VW fan, almost purchasing a new 2018 Passat R-line recently.

Reliability of course is paramount in the automotive world, so let me update you on things that have needed to be replaced over the last 40K miles. Early on in ownership the ignition tumbler got sticky and had to be replaced under warranty, twice. I am not holding my breath that it won't happen again, unless the last one they installed was an updated part. During one of those dealer visits I mentioned the drivers door lock made a "squeak/screeching" noise when locking, they said they could not duplicate the problem. It has done that since almost new and now with 40K miles still operates as intended. Maybe it is just a noise and nothing more. The latest repair was also covered under warranty, I noticed the coolant reservoir level would drop right at, or below the minimum marker and would need to be topped off about once a year. This was mentioned to the dealer at least 2 other times, but they couldn't locate a leak until recently. They pressure tested the cooling system and found the water pump to be at fault, so that was replaced. Thankfully these 2 issues didn't cost us anything out of pocket, and I wouldn't consider them to be deal breakers or sway me away from the VW brand if and when we need to go car shopping.

All in all it has been a wonderful car delivering more interior volume than the competition, more power and torque, more fun to drive factor, superb gas mileage, and styling that won't look very dated even 10 years from now. Sadly the new 2019 Jetta seems to be having some teething issues, so a Golf may be in line for the wifes next vehicle if VW doesn't resolve the issues with the current production Jetta. Thanks for reading, and have a blessed day!

Nice write up, glad it's been a reliable vehicle. You're right on the looks, i think it's a sharp vehicle. Better looking than the 2019 model.

Good to hear about the 1.8 engine. My 2011 Jetta aka the tank, just keeps ticking. Just past 125k on the old 2.slow and only problem has been 2 coils and sets of wires and front sway bar links.
Even at its age and miles and being driven by my 18 yo son these last 2 years I still marveled at how solid it feels as I drive it home from the tire shop after getting it a new set of tires. Still no squeaks or rattles.

Originally Posted By: dbias
Good to hear about the 1.8 engine. My 2011 Jetta aka the tank, just keeps ticking. Just past 125k on the old 2.slow and only problem has been 2 coils and sets of wires and front sway bar links.
Even at its age and miles and being driven by my 18 yo son these last 2 years I still marveled at how solid it feels as I drive it home from the tire shop after getting it a new set of tires. Still no squeaks or rattles.

Good to hear! I do appreciate how solid and tank like these feel, very German indeed.

Originally Posted By: dbias

Those 2.0 coils have been failing for over 20 years! Youd figure theyd at least move it up a little. Was really happy to see them bring that engine back, one friend has 370k on an 01, and another friend drove about 10 miles with a blocked oil pickup, all we had to do was clear it and fill it back up. He drove for another 10k before the diff went

A water pump leak at
And tanks have their uses and virtues, but reliability, sometimes, isn't one of them---ask an old M60A2 or an M551 Sheridan crew member.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: khittner
A water pump leak at
And tanks have their uses and virtues, but reliability, sometimes, isn't one of them---ask an old M60A2 or an M551 Sheridan crew member.

+1

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
40k is not much to Toyota owners
crackmeup2.gif
Oh come on, I'm a Toyota fan-boy too but it was time for a review.

He's had the car for over 4 years. Are you expecting him to write a review at 10-11 years when it has 100k miles? A review on an old car wouldn't do much good for people looking to buy a new one. Maybe an older used one though.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
crackmeup2.gif

He's had the car for over 4 years. Are you expecting him to write a review at 10-11 years when it has 100k miles? A review on an old car wouldn't do much good for people looking to buy a new one. Maybe an older used one though.

Every few months seems about right!

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4701221/2014_Jetta_4_year_review

Originally Posted By: dishdude
crackmeup2.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4701221/2014_Jetta_4_year_review
To be fair the water pump has been replaced since then. Helps give insight.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
crackmeup2.gif

To be fair the water pump has been replaced since then. Helps give insight.

Haha, to be fair I honestly thought the last one I posted was 30K. I plan to do a review every 10K. Oh well, you all got an early update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back