New 2019 Ram 1500 oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per 777 : "QSUD is a ladder-rung below Edge, Mobil-1, Valvoline Advanced and Penn Platinum. Even SOPUS reps have acknowledged that, when compared to Platinum" ... I bit on the $17 per 5 qrt. jug of QSUD 5W30 recently after using all of the tier one oils - the Elantra I put QSUD in has never run so smooth and quiet (perhaps Hyundai's Quaker State recommendation is accurate ?) ... I don't plan on running it past 5K mile OCI's with the QSUD but it is after all a D1 / Gen 2 synthetic , so up to 5K OCI's should be good !

Last edited:
Nothing but Pennzoil in my Ram, and the other 2 vehicles in the family as well.

It's good stuff, imo.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Honda2003
[Linked Image]

So when would you guys do the OCI's on a brand new turck? I think the book says 7,500 but that seems a bit much for me. What brand oil would you use? I currently use Magnatec 5w-30 in my old truck. I believe this new truck calles for 0w-20. Truck is 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4 5.7 HEMI..

I rarely post on this forum but on this topic I feel its necessary. OP the guys that are Actually driving a Hemi are giving you the best advice, all the others have no idea what their talking about.
Before we get into oil selection you need to understand the failures we are seeing across the board over multiple oil brands and multiple oil weights. Every 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi has 16 hydraulic roller lifters that is the week point; the needle bearings in the rollers are failing causing the roller the seize and eat the cam. With 16 lifters to worry about naturally this sparks oil selection conversations, poor quality parts, and bad designed parts; and the list goes on and on. Lifter failures are a Fact; I'm in my 3rd Ram truck and I've seen this over and over for years. So the question is what can you do about it? The only strategy is a sound oil strategy!
You being in a new Ram you need to run an oil that meets FCA MS oil certification in a 5w20, while your under warranty. After your warranty is up I recommend you run a 5w30.
Dump your factory fill at 3k miles and run these oils while your under warranty:
Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD) 5w20 or Rotella Gas Truck 5w20; both oils are available at the local parts store, are inexpensive and meet FCA MS-6395. Pennzoil "Ultra" Platinum (PUP) is another but usually needs to be ordered online. Note: don't confuse Pennzoil Platinum (PP) with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP), they are two very different oils. PUP's additive package is superior!
After your warranty bump up to a 5w30 in:
Redline 5w30
Amsoil 5w30
PUP 5w30
QSUD 5w30
Rotella Gas Truck 5w30
All will serve you well, But, if you have engine chatter, engine noise, Hemi Tick the only oil Proven to help/eliminate these issues is Redline.

Originally Posted by HammerHead0313
[Linked Image]

So when would you guys do the OCI's on a brand new turck? I think the book says 7,500 but that seems a bit much for me. What brand oil would you use? I currently use Magnatec 5w-30 in my old truck. I believe this new truck calles for 0w-20. Truck is 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4 5.7 HEMI..

I rarely post on this forum but on this topic I feel its necessary. OP the guys that are Actually driving a Hemi are giving you the best advice, all the others have no idea what their talking about.
Before we get into oil selection you need to understand the failures we are seeing across the board over multiple oil brands and multiple oil weights. Every 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi has 16 hydraulic roller lifters that is the week point; the needle bearings in the rollers are failing causing the roller the seize and eat the cam. With 16 lifters to worry about naturally this sparks oil selection conversations, poor quality parts, and bad designed parts; and the list goes on and on. Lifter failures are a Fact; I'm in my 3rd Ram truck and I've seen this over and over for years. So the question is what can you do about it? The only strategy is a sound oil strategy!
You being in a new Ram you need to run an oil that meets FCA MS oil certification in a 5w20, while your under warranty. After your warranty is up I recommend you run a 5w30.
Dump your factory fill at 3k miles and run these oils while your under warranty:
Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD) 5w20 or Rotella Gas Truck 5w20; both oils are available at the local parts store, are inexpensive and meet FCA MS-6395. Pennzoil "Ultra" Platinum (PUP) is another but usually needs to be ordered online. Note: don't confuse Pennzoil Platinum (PP) with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP), they are two very different oils. PUP's additive package is superior!
Redline 5w30
Amsoil 5w30
PUP 5w30
QSUD 5w30
Rotella Gas Truck 5w30
All will serve you well, But, if you have engine chatter, engine noise, Hemi Tick the only oil Proven to help/eliminate these issues is Redline.

Thanks for the info and advice..

[Linked Image]

Redline 5w30
Amsoil 5w30
PUP 5w30
QSUD 5w30
Rotella Gas Truck 5w30

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I have no issues/worries running the Platinum (5W-20) in my Hemi Ram. I have ran the PUP on occassion but since my stock has dwindled, I plan on sticking with PP only.
I suppose, depending on driving styles/towing, etc, the PUP could be the preferred oil but I really don't see a lot of difference between the 2 myself.

Also, up here PUP is fairly easy to obtain but I have heard it can be difficult in "some" U.S, states. If it is easily obtainable and is priced the same/close enough, then by all means purchase it if it makes you sleep better at night. I am currently only doing one OC per year but my mileage has decreased to the point where maybe even running PYB would be more than enough?

I also only tow occassionally in the summer and winter but if I pulled a travel trailer or something just as heavy more often, then maybe the PUP would also come into order?

IMG_0659 (Large).JPG

IMG_0510 (Large).JPG

Originally Posted by tblt44
I would do first change at 1000 then go synthetic

A BITOG "money flush"..........

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Another one is of course that the SRT cars all were originally filled and serviced with M1 0w-40. When FCA was formed, that contract with Mobil was terminated and SOPUS became the fill. One of the changes was to modify the MS number for the SRT service fill so that it no longer matched the number M1 0w-40 carried. Mobil completely stopped carrying that approval all together, even though the product was the same, and hasn't pursued an MS approval on any of their Mobil products since. So essentially overnight you had the service fill for the SRT cars change and of course dealers had a ton of stock of M1 0w-40, with my dealer having skids of it. I bought a fair bit of it to use in my M5 when they were trying to clear it out and also ran it in my SRT Charger. Anyways, the amusing part is that the oil didn't change, just the relationship with Chrysler did due to the FIAT acquisition, which resulted in the conjuring up of the lower additized and more volatile SRT 0w-40 by SOPUS to replace the Mobil product.

Anyways, my dealer, as I'm sure many others did, continued to use their stock of Mobil products until they were used up, despite them no longer being "approved" or "recommended".

I think all of the 6.1 SRT folks who have M1 0W-40 right on the cap (and anyone else with a specific brand recommended) always were a bit suspicious. But the OEM recommendation in this case was an excellent oil.

Having reviewed the VOA on the SOPUS 0W-40 I personally feel it is still fine, but I have stuck with M1 and have a perfectly preserved engine in mine at well beyond 100k miles...

Originally Posted by dave1251
Im on my 3rd Ram 1500. If there is a "tick" which goes away with a brand of oil it's not mechanical "tick".

Really, then what would cause the hemi tick other than a mechanical issue ?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by GMBoy
I have a 2016 RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 with the Hemi. Has 56k miles and just now developed the hemi tick at startup this month. Lasts about 10-20 seconds. I haven't looked close at it yet so the tick could be exhaust manifold or lifter tick. I've ran nothing but Mobil 1 AFE 0W/30 and mopar filters up to the most recent oil change when I used a Hastings oil filter so....maybe it's the oil filter?? In any event, I already have some Quaker State Ultimate Durability waiting to go in with another Mopar filter. I just couldn't resist the $17 jug special at walmart so I am trying it. I plan on cutting this OCI short at 5000 miles to see if the tick goes away or if its exhaust related. My normal OCI is by the OLM and that averages 8-9k miles (80% highway miles).

Had you done 5K instead of 8-9K, no tick would probably exist today. QSU is a ladder-rung below Edge, Mobil-1, Valvoline Advanced and Penn Platinum. Even SOPUS reps have acknowledged that, when compared to Platinum.

Folks with TGDI/GDI and timing chain concern / past histories, need to cut down their OCIs. After a few decades of lengthening OCIs in today's engines, we have now started a backward trend.
Have to adjust folks, or face the proverbial, musical tick-tick-tick and slowly increasing buildup around the valves & pistons.

I agree and I wish I knew better - my 1st Hemi. The Hemi isn't any major tech engine so it should be able to handle extended change like most every other vehicle...but guess not.

I have an 08 CTS with the 3.6L and do 5000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 because you can't extend the changes because timing chains and other issues. I've got 162k miles now. So I got two special needs vehicles lol.

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

Redline 5w30
Amsoil 5w30
PUP 5w30
QSUD 5w30
Rotella Gas Truck 5w30

I checked out the Shell gas and PP at Walmart. If they have PP at dealer that is probably what I'll use.

20190713_160513.jpg

20190713_160433.jpg

I notice that PP says Exceeds Chrysler MS-639.

Because all the MS spec is is basically GF-5.

I've been running Kendall GT-1 full syn 5w30 since the first oil change at 2000 miles on my 2019 RAM (5.7 hemi). I change it every 5k miles and use a Wix Xp filter. It now has 20k miles on the odometer. MDS works without issue and the engine runs flawlessly.

The engine would tick for about 3 seconds upon startup for the first 2k miles. After dumping the original factory 5w20 and filling with the 5w30 I've had had zero tick upon startup.

I've posted on another thread that the service manager at my local dealer is a friend of mine and he runs 5w30 in his RAM. I figured the guy who sees these engines on a regular basis must know something.

Just my 2 cents. Use what helps you sleep at night.

Well I'm getting there. I got around 1,200 miles on it so far. I think I will change at 3,000 the first time then go 5k each time.

Originally Posted by RamAir5
I've been running Kendall GT-1 full syn 5w30 since the first oil change at 2000 miles on my 2019 RAM (5.7 hemi). I change it every 5k miles and use a Wix Xp filter. It now has 20k miles on the odometer. MDS works without issue and the engine runs flawlessly.

The engine would tick for about 3 seconds upon startup for the first 2k miles. After dumping the original factory 5w20 and filling with the 5w30 I've had had zero tick upon startup.

I've posted on another thread that the service manager at my local dealer is a friend of mine and he runs 5w30 in his RAM. I figured the guy who sees these engines on a regular basis must know something.

Just my 2 cents. Use what helps you sleep at night.

I have a friend who is an A tech at a Jeep Ram dealership and he also advised using 5W30 in the 3.6L and the hemi. He also recommends a little extra ZDDP as well, in spite of popular belief to the contrary.
27.gif

I called my dealer today so I could get the oil change done this Saturday. I ask about putting Pennzoil Platinum in it. He said they didn't have it they would have to order it. I ask if they put synthetic in them and they said only if it called for it. They said they put 5-30 conventional in them and reccomend ever 5k miles. He never would say a name brand just conventional oil. 5k seems steep to me for conventional oil. What do you guys think?

I called my dealer today so I could get the oil change done this Saturday. I ask about putting Pennzoil Platinum in it. He said they didn't have it they would have to order it. I ask if they put synthetic in them and they said only if it called for it. They said they put 5-30 conventional in them and reccomend ever 5k miles. He never would say a name brand just conventional oil. 5k seems steep to me for conventional oil. What do you guys think?

Most Conventional oils are a blend. 5k is nothing in my van as oil has plenty of life left. I do roughly 7500 a year on average so I will see how Valvoline Daily holds up and more than likely go once a year so around 7500 to 8k. Valvoline stated that I could go by OLM or once a year so 10k is OLM but Valvoline Advanced would be better.

Last edited:
I notice that PP says Exceeds Chrysler MS-639.

"Exceeds specs" are words I prefer, when reading jug labels. It sure beats reading "meets specs", for those members here that keep their vehicles for life.

I like that you read the jug and/or oil website materials - understand it and show comprehension. Some here do not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back