New 2016 428IX convertible- 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
Originally Posted By: edyvw
I'm a BMW tech at a dealer..we don't have any 0w20 either..They all get 5w30. Enjoy your new car they are beautiful rides. Amazing performance. One word of advice, especially with the msport package, save for tires..They wear tires quickly..not uncommon to need tires every 15-20k miles or so...sometimes less. Those runflats are not cheap either..$300-400 a piece..anyways enjoy your new ride man.

Performance tire should not last longer then 20K.
As for price, unless you are buying in stealership, you can find much cheaper then that.

I agree..but people look at me like I have three heads when they come in for their first oil change at 15k miles and I tell them the steel belts are showing in their tires.

Man, 95% of people in this country think that car is same like dish washer, laundry washer and other appliances.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Performance tire should not last longer then 20K.
As for price, unless you are buying in stealership, you can find much cheaper then that.

The Michelin PSS that came on my 2er have over 19k miles on them and I would not be surprised if I get another 7k-10k out of them. As for price, my BMW dealer price-matches Tire Rack- $186/tire front, $203/tire rear.

I had PSS on my VW CC for 25K. Hands down best tire in that category. Structural integrity of that tire is simply incredible.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'm a BMW tech at a dealer..we don't have any 0w20 either..They all get 5w30. Enjoy your new car they are beautiful rides. Amazing performance. One word of advice, especially with the msport package, save for tires..They wear tires quickly..not uncommon to need tires every 15-20k miles or so...sometimes less. Those runflats are not cheap either..$300-400 a piece..anyways enjoy your new ride man.

One of the many things I love about my M235i is that it does not come with run-flats.

Ahh the M235 is such a sweet ride! Have you checked out the new M2? I got to take one out for a few miles..sweet fuq that's an awesome car. If I wasn't just a stoopid BMW mokanique that's what I'd be ripping around town in

Ahh the M235 is such a sweet ride! Have you checked out the new M2? I got to take one out for a few miles..sweet fuq that's an awesome car. If I wasn't just a stoopid BMW mokanique that's what I'd be ripping around town in

If I was buying new I'd definitely go with the M2, but my M235i is a CPO that I picked up for a great price.

Drove the 235ix Convertible too. What a hot-rod!
Decided we wanted just a little bigger interior with a more useable rear seat, and also the Hard Top is just like driving a coupe with the top up.
The 4 series Convertible is just a beautiful car, especially with the M Sport Pkg.
Loved them both..
Tire Rack had the OEM run flats for 193.00/tire.
Pete

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scudpilot
Wish I could figure out how to post on here!
Pete

Just open a free account at Photobucket, upload your pictures, and then link to them from here.

If it were me, I'd probably stick with OEM "Twin Power Turbo" 5W-30 LL-01 (essentially Shell Helix Ultra). Also, the N20 is now included in the testing process for LL-01 certification.

And congrats on the new car. That's a sweet ride!

Thanks Guys.. Real excited about our first BMW. Wife absolutely loves it. It even has neck warmers for cool top down driving. Truly a Mechanical showpiece!!

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
Picked it up yesterday for my wife and on a sticker under the hood it said
0W20. Yet no one at the dealer knew anything about it.. They said at first oil change they will use 5W30. We shall see. By then maybe things will start to change.

I think that it is aimed to average BMW driver in the US. Most of BMW's in the US are grocery getters. 0W20 will allow better cold performance and less wear in short runs and better MPG.
If you drive like BMW should be driven, stick to BMW LL-01. In Germany that is still go to oil for N20.

It's not just for the US market.
It's been available for the past couple of years in Europe.
Attached is the German made Fuchs Titan GT1 EVO 0W-20 brochure from Feb 2014:

http://www.generaloils.net/2014-02-12_AIS-InfoFuchs_TITAN-GT1-EVO-0W-20_EN.PDF

They go to great lengths to counter the assumption that a 0W-20 will allow greater engine wear.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

They go to great lengths to counter the assumption that a 0W-20 will allow greater engine wear.

They simply show that it meets the wear spec limits by a comfortable margin...Castrol target about 25-30% of the allowable limits as a "pass" in their testing.

See the cylinder wear margin is much lower than the cams...cams are largely protected via additives, bores by viscosity...

Quote:
Attached is the German made Fuchs Titan GT1 EVO 0W-20 brochure from Feb 2014:

Originally Posted By: Fuchs
Q:Doesn’t a viscosity of SAE 0W-20 automatically cause higher wear?
A:Contrary to the generally widespread opinion that a low (HTHS) viscosity leads to massive engine wear, our TITAN GT1 EVO SAE 0W-20 could prove in several tests that this must not be the case at all.

Vis-a-vis a comparable 0W-30 or 0W-40, I consider out-of-mind such statements (whether in question or answer forms) as:
a) 0W-20's automatically cause higher wear , and
b) 0W-20 leads to massive engine wear.
I would rephrase the question as :
c) Vis-a-vis a comparable 0W-30 or 0W-40 grades and leaving aside their respective additive packages/base oils, could a 0W-20 viscosity grade in itself leads to marginally higher level of abrasion and/or adhesive wear (excluding the 'only' other form of wear in corrosion wear)in a typical gasoline engine?
And the answer ......................................
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back