New 2014 Mazda6 - Which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Your Mazda dealer probably doesn't use the Mazda Moly oil for service. They use whatever bulk 0W-20 they get for cheap. The Mazda Moly oil is parts department only. Some dealers only stock a case of this stuff at a time.

This is exactly what I've heard - which is why I'm less than excited about the free oil change they gave me.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: badtlc
If your dealer does good deals on the Castrol OE 0W-20, go with that. It seems to be a more robust oil than you can buy retail (compared to other castrol products).

I would run it but my dealer just charges too much for the changes but they will change my oil for $10 if I provide what I want to use.

PP 0W-20 is going to be your lowest NOACK option if you have the skyactiv engine.

"more robust" means heavier. I don't know of any reason to run a heavier oil than the OEM high moly Mazda 0W-20.
Yes PP 0W-20 likely has a slightly lower NOACK percentage but the trade-off is a much heavier oil on start-up. The theoretical advantage to PP would be if there was a measurable difference in oil consumption between the two oils which I doubt.

No, the castrol OE 0w-20 has a higher VI than the retail EDGE options and comes from better basestock.

That's good to hear; about 175 IIRC, but still not an ultra high VI oil like the 221 VI Mazda 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I like the Mazda oil but how cheap can u get it? I would probably go with a pretty conservative oci until we get good results on how these DI engines are on the oil and how much fuel dilution ppl are seeing. Given that the oci will or should be relatively low like 5k? I might do PP since it seems to be the cheapest.
It was less than $75 for a case of twelve at my Mazda dealer. I think it was $6.10 per quart. Full synthetic 0w20 with moly. For a dealer, I thought it was reasonable.

Hi Guys! Long time, no post.

I used to have a 2000 B5 Passat 1.8T Tip...finally traded it in last 5/18 for a JBM 2014 Mazda 6 Touring 6sp Manual (yes, they do exist). It only has 306mi on the clock currently. I have 6mos for my first Mazda dealer oil change...leaning to the Mazda/Idemitsu 0w20.

Btw, at AutohausAZ..a gallon of this wonder oil is $18.88 ($4.72/qt). Buy 3 gals ($56.64) and you get free shipping.

I'm thinking of dumping the factory oem fill @ 2,500mi and keep the orig factory oil filter on for 5k miles, until the 6mos dealer change (@7,500mi). Do you guys think this is a wise move? Or keep the orig fill up to 6mos/7,500mi (for proper seating of rings and all)...

I think I need to change my handle now to...ExB5, now that the old Passat "broad" is gone (sniff, sniff).

The 6 Touring, with the short throw 6sp MT (ala Miata) is a BLAST to drive, btw..
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Recommend you change both the oil and filter during the engine break-in process.

So on what miles then for a full change...I heard some go for 1k, some at halfway @ 3,750mi.

2,500mi?

Hah, my 5kmi regimen for the old 1.8T with the Mannolator got stuck still..
grin.gif

Btw, I still have my old stash (from the old 1.8T) of the "green" Castrol 0W30..lots and lots. I even have 12qts of pristine, ester based Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W40 (waiting for a good home). Valvoline, Mobil 1..all too thick for the Sky-Activ G.
smile.gif

IF it were my vehicle, I'd change the break-in oil and filter now, then at 4,000, then 7,500 +/-. After 10,000 to 12,000 miles, the piston rings should be fully seated and you can get on a normal OCI.

I'm bumping this thread to tell my recent experience.
While visiting my daughter at an upstate college I had the opportunity to visit a Mazda dealer (while my wife and daughter were shopping nearby).
The 'PARTS' department counter was right in the showroom so I inquired about the price of their 0w20 full synthetic.
The guy said $4.95 a quart so I said I would take 5 quarts (I couldn't pass up the deal even though I don't have a Mazda).
When he brought out the 5 single quarts they were Brad Penn 0w20 full synthetic. I knew that their bulk oil probably wasn't Mazda but even their over the counter quarts aren't.

OTOH: $5 a quart for a full synthetic at a dealership isn't bad even though it wasn't the coveted high moly Mazda stuff.

PS: I sat in the 2014 Mazda6 and it really is impressive. It will definitely be on my radar screen when it's time for a new car.

Originally Posted By: pbm
It will definitely be on my radar screen when it's time for a new car.

And you will be on it's radar if you walk in front of it!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back