New 2009 F-150 - new oil dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 04SE
Holy cow feces...

Am I the only person who has seen the fact that he NEEDS 5K oil changes for a WARRANTY?!?!? Basic oils are MORE than enough for him for a 5K OCI. M1 and AMSOIL would be a waste of $$$ for a 5K OCI.

D**N people, quit being so p*ssy.

No,,,,,,i seen it's only 5k but IMO this truck will see extream
conditions and IMO a synthetic will do a better job,i'ts a new dang truck i'm sure it's worth using PP or M1 in it even if it is only 5k OCI's.

I would go with a full synthetic. If cost is an issue the Walmart's SuperTech Full Synthetic is better than any synthetic blend IMO. If you want to spend a little more money, then Pennzoil Platinum, or whatever full synthetic is on sale.

I would not use an oil that is not API/manufacturer certified (not because it may be a bad oil, but just for warranty reasons). This gets a little tricky for Amsoil 100% synthetics due to the way they word the certification issue on their website.

Just on your last point, Mark, the 'XL' line is fully API-certified. XL 5W-20 would be a good option for this vehicle.

Just a though: Isn't Fords OCI 7500 miles for ALL conditions?

I personally would use Pennzoil Platinum or the newly reformulated Valvoline SynPower in that gorgeous new '09 F150.

I've been running Pennzoil Platinum in all the immediate family vehicles (4 Fords, 1 Toyota) for a little while now and have been more than happy with it in all cases. However, Motorcraft Syn Blend is an oustanding oil for the money, there's no denying that.

Motorcraft is probably your best bet with 5k mile drains. Great oil for the $$.

Basically you want an oil that meets Ford WSS-M2C930-A. MC does.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Just on your last point, Mark, the 'XL' line is fully API-certified. XL 5W-20 would be a good option for this vehicle.

Yeah, I think many of us tend to forget about these great oils from Amsoil. Every UOA I've seen on these has been stellar.

Originally Posted By: tvsjr
Originally Posted By: hate2work

You think M1 might be "too good" for your application?

BTW, how much are you paying for this truck? And you're worried about spending a little more on the oil you run?
21.gif

Regarding cost, I can buy MCSB for $12.50/jug ($2.50/qt.), while M1 is $24.99/jug ($4.99/qt.) last I checked. Assuming 175K miles in 5 years, that's 35 oil changes at 7 quarts per change, or 245 quarts of oil. That adds up to about $612 over the life of the vehicle - or one payment. That's fairly significant in my book.

nice math but thats only 10$ a month, spaced out over 5 YEARS. even if you made minimum wage i still can't see that being significant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lazaro
7 oil changes 25,000 OCI will cost much less at $56 per oil change.

He clearly stated that he wants to do 5K OCI. I am assuming that is to avoid any possible problems with the factory warranty, which makes perfect sense when dealing with new vehicles. Will Amsoil step up to the plate and replace his engine if Ford blames the problems on not changing the oil often enough? Even if they do pitch in, it'll be a big hassle and a long and tedious battle involving Ford, Amsoil and the poor customer stuck in the middle. Who needs this?
smirk2.gif

I have nothing against Amsoil, but it's not for everyone. It's right under the right circumstances. That is not the case here.

Originally Posted By: daman
a synthetic will do a better job,i'ts a new dang truck i'm sure it's worth using PP or M1 in it even if it is only 5k OCI's.

Worth in what way? He's only going to keep it for 5 years. I find it hard to believe that a modern oil such as MC that meets all the required Ford specs would not be up to the task of 5K OCI, even if his driving conditions are a bit atypical. If he's doing 35K miles a year, that means he'll be changing oil every month and a half. Probably a lot of hwy driving without too many cold starts in-between. I don't think that's particularly hard on the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
a synthetic will do a better job,i'ts a new dang truck i'm sure it's worth using PP or M1 in it even if it is only 5k OCI's.

Worth in what way? He's only going to keep it for 5 years. I find it hard to believe that a modern oil such as MC that meets all the required Ford specs would not be up to the task of 5K OCI, even if his driving conditions are a bit atypical.

Ahh his driving conditions are MORE then atypical,there extream.

If he's doing 35K miles a year, that means he'll be changing oil every month and a half. Probably a lot of hwy driving without too many cold starts in-between. I don't think that's particularly hard on the oil.

If he's doing 35K miles a year, that means he'll be changing oil every month and a half. Probably a lot of hwy driving without too many cold starts in-between. I don't think that's particularly hard on the oil.

Not hard on the oil?,what do u call idling for longs periods of time in extreme heat and full throttle cold no warm up starts in the winter/summer? reread his OP,,thats extream cond.

Not hard on the oil?,what do u call idling for longs periods of time in extreme heat and full throttle cold no warm up starts in the winter/summer? reread his OP,,thats extream cond.

And what is it about a synthetic oil that makes it better suited for extended idling periods?

What is MC's flash point? Extreme outside heat does not necessarily translate to extreme oil temps.

As for cold start-ups - Texas winter isn't the same as what we experience here up north.

Sure, the oil may take some beating in his case, but it only has to do it for a month and a half. That's probably still easier on the oil than me running the same 5k miles but over the course of 12 months with many more cold starts.

Last edited:
I dont sell amsoil and dont know if I really like the mary kay approch for selling it but I have always been impressed by their products and I can buy them from the auto parts store by my house just like any other brand. I honestly think they make the best motor oils, atf, and filters out there. With that said if your changing at 5k the only amsoil product you would even want to consider useing would be the XL 5-20, but since you dont like amsoil and have no intrist in useing it IMO the best oil out there in my experiance is PP. I have heard lots of people on here say that MC is great oil for the price but just the same way you dont like amsoil, I dont like ford. Since I would never buy one of their cars I would also never buy their oil or filters. Just the same way that you dont like the snake oil peddleing of amsoil I have my own issues with ford and their ad campaigns over the past 20 years. "Have you driven a ford lately" "If you havent looked at ford lately, look again" Cant really remember what their tag line is these days but basicly all the marketing boils down to "ya our cars have sucked since the 80's but they are better now" Thats an ok thing to say for a few years but if thats your tag line from about 1988-2009 I think its time to actualy change the way you do business and build your cars, not just tweak your tag line.

And what is it about a synthetic oil that makes it better suited for extended idling periods?

What is MC's flash point? Extreme outside heat does not necessarily translate to extreme oil temps.

As for cold start-ups - Texas winter isn't the same as what we experience here up north.

Sure, the oil may take some beating in his case, but it only has to do it for a month and a half. That's probably still easier on the oil than me running the same 5k miles but over the course of 12 months with many more cold starts.

And what is it about MC oil that makes it better suited for extended idling periods vs syn?

And what is it about MC oil that makes it better suited for extended idling periods vs syn?

Heh... I didn't say that MC is better suited. I claim that it is good enough. You said that it's worth to run a more expensive oil this scenario, and I'm just trying to find out what it is that a synthetic oil will do for him that MC won't.

OK, let me clear a few things up about the intended use.

Ford recommends 5K OCI for severe service, 7.5K for normal service. Based on my use, I choose severe.

There won't be any cold full-throttle accelerations. If we catch a call in the middle of the night, the first thing that happens is I hit the remote start button. That way, the truck can be warming up a bit while I'm getting dressed (we respond to the station from home). I do my best to be kind to the truck whenever possible, since I am the one paying for it!

No sub-zero temps for us... we might see teens a few nights a year, that's about it. Unfortunately the truck won't be garaged - it won't fit.

The daily drive is 42 miles each way, mostly highway with varying amounts of stop and go depending on what time I'm going in.

The truck will idle some. It's not going to idle nearly as much as our apparatus or your average police car does.

XLM, PP and Synpower!! GroupIII FTW!
thumbsup2.gif

Seriously, any oil will do in that application when you consider the time in service (1.5 months). Unless you plan on rust proofing that truck every year and passing it down to your children (assuming they were born this past week) then don't worry too much about your oil choice. Follow spec and viscosity with a reputable oil. MC meets that criteria along with pretty much every SM rated dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back