New 2009 F-150 - new oil dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mainly lurk. I did ask about the oil in my 2005 F350 6.0PSD (not so affectionately dubbed the Big Black Turd after floating a SECOND set of head gaskets at 84K due to an overboosting turbo (stuck vanes) - thankfully, extended warranty will fix it before I trade it in on my '09 F150.)

I'm hoping this vehicle will be a very low-maintenance ride. As much as I enjoy seeing my friends at my local small-town dealer, I've seen too much of their waiting room/shop/cashier in the past few years!

Quote:
Regarding cost, I can buy MCSB for $12.50/jug ($2.50/qt.), while M1 is $24.99/jug ($4.99/qt.) last I checked. Assuming 175K miles in 5 years, that's 35 oil changes at 7 quarts per change, or 245 quarts of oil. That adds up to about $612 over the life of the vehicle - or one payment. That's fairly significant in my book

you took the time to do the math here, will that be the same math for 5 years?
in 5 years you will use 61.5 gallons of oil.
7 oil changes 25,000 OCI will cost much less at $56 per oil change. 12.25 gallons of oil is cheaper on your wallet and the enviroment than 61.5 gallons?
starting off with a new engine oil compsumption wont rise over the years.
$392 for oil plus $119 for oil filters that last as long as the oil, comes out to $511, in 5 years with 175,000 miles is significant compared to your numbers.
I did not even factor in the fuel milage savings or time at the oil change place.
oh and what about your air filter every 12,000 miles? 14 air filters too at how much a filter? OR you could just buy 2 4 year 100,000 mile filters.
yea all this math can make anyone dizzy, just take it to Jiffy lube!

I'd go with either the Motorcraft synthetic (seems to be a great oil....and any warranty issues would be more than covered with a Ford product) or, if you want PERHAPS a slightly better synthetic I'd go with Pennzoil Platinum. I'd stick with Motorcraft filters on your 5.4L. I recently went from a Purolator filter (great filters at a great price) to a Motorcraft for a slight chatter at startup. It appears the Motorcraft has a better functioning anti-drainback valve for Fords for some reason. Stay a LONG way away from Fram.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, there you go lazaro. Bet you liked my answer better.
grin2.gif

Yes that answer is much better.
it is full of misunderstanding and sheer terror of the unknown.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, there you go lazaro. Bet you liked my answer better.
grin2.gif

I never claim that I'm nice - merely accurate. A quick perusal of lazaro's postings indicates that he falls squarely into bullet point 3 of my previous message.

Seriously, is there some chemical in Amsoil that, upon inhalation (opening the bottle, I guess), causes someone to behave that way? I think they should be required to post a warning on the bottle - Surgeon General's Warning: Use of this product may cause brain damage or trollification.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: lazaro

Lazaro - just go away. I don't like Amsoil, I've never liked Amsoil, and I wouldn't give them a dime if every engineer on the planet said their oil would make my motor last 500K and extend parts of my anatomy by two inches. It's a principle thing - I don't like the way the company does business.

In short - shoo, troll.

MC at 5k intervals would be good. If you can get any of the above mentioned syns on sale they are a great option too. Whatever you choose that truck will run a long long time.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'd go with either the Motorcraft synthetic (seems to be a great oil....and any warranty issues would be more than covered with a Ford product) or, if you want PERHAPS a slightly better synthetic I'd go with Pennzoil Platinum. I'd stick with Motorcraft filters on your 5.4L. I recently went from a Purolator filter (great filters at a great price) to a Motorcraft for a slight chatter at startup. It appears the Motorcraft has a better functioning anti-drainback valve for Fords for some reason. Stay a LONG way away from Fram.

Yep, definitely on the Motorcraft filter. I wouldn't use an Evil Orange Can of Death on anything!

I wonder if a Fram troll will come along to tell me how wonderful their products are now...
11.gif

Quote:
If Amsoil was so terrific, why aren't major manufacturers using it as factory fill? Mobil 1 is becoming factory fill on quite a number of vehicles. Ford strongly recommends the MC syn blend for their cars (except for certain high-performance models that get M1).

thanks for posting that up, I value your opinion here.
with that said be aware that AMSOIL was selling Synthetic oils long before the manufactures stated using it in factory fill.
In fact Amsoil was the only Synthetic oil company trolling around for customers in the 70s and 80s for $5 a quart when mineral oil was less than $1 a quart!
Fast foward 2009 now Manufactures have Synthetic oils as factory fill! Synthetics outperform minerals hand down!
Amsoil as a company is built of DEALERS, INDIVIDUALS not mass advertising from obscene profits.
We are simply AMERICANS working for ourselves selling a product that does out perform many other oils.
I have many UOA to prove this and the site sponsors here for AMSOIL have many loyal customers that purchase product due to performance and price.
Are you going to call us all Snake oil salesmen? I would tend to think that is Misleading in the least.

Originally Posted By: tvsjr

Lazaro - just go away. I don't like Amsoil, I've never liked Amsoil, and I wouldn't give them a dime if every engineer on the planet said their oil would make my motor last 500K and extend parts of my anatomy by two inches. It's a principle thing - I don't like the way the company does business.

In short - shoo, troll.

attack the messenger not the message!
I did not disrespect you.
thanks for the discredit, Im sure it makes you feel more like a man.
have a great day in TEXAS!

attack the messenger not the message!
I did not disrespect you.
thanks for the discredit, Im sure it makes you feel more like a man.
have a great day in TEXAS!

As they say in these parts...
Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you!

Originally Posted By: crosseyedwx
35.gif

Pass some over - we'll make it a party!
25.gif

I much appreciate all the advice so far... keep it coming! I'm leaning towards staying all MC, but I'm still interested in input. It'll be a few weeks till I have the truck, and another few weeks before I have the first 1K on it and want to get the oil changed...

In your situation I'd use MC and do one oil analysis after 5000 miles during the summer to see if MC is right for your situation. If you need the benefits of synthetic then you can step up.

I agree with you that you don't need Amsoil. Even if it weren't a principle thing you are not going to take advantage of what they have to offer. Your situation is similar to a typical fleet vehicle, off the shelf oils will handle it.

MC FTW!
23.gif

I agree with you on the Amsoil, not a fan myself either... I can't wait 25k miles to change my oil!

You might find some good deals on Q Torquepower on clearance, or get the Q Horsepower 5qt jug from WM and get the $10 rebate.

I would vote for Quaker State Q Synthetic (or whatever they're calling it these days), Pennzoil Platinum or the Motorcraft you previously mentioned
thumbsup2.gif
Right now they have a rebate on 5 quarts of Quaker State Q which you can find in the Product Rebates forum.

Look, a lot of brands carry negative baggage with different people for different reasons. Its a fact of life. Some people are sore at XOM because they're big. Some are sore at them because they blame them for every instance of pollution on the planet. Or they think Mobil 1 turns air into iron inside engines. Some people are suspicious of Pennzoil and Quaker State because of the old sludge stories. Some people are suspicious of Royal Purple because of its testimonial-based advertzing. Some people (me) still view Castrol with a memory of the horrible Syntec commercials showing a bunch of engines "seizing" and one engine "running" with no oil because it had once had Syntec in it. Some people think Pennzoil Platinum is over-rated Group III barely-synthetic-if-that. Some people think Rotella Synthetic has a foaming problem.

Amsoil also has negative baggage with some people. It mostly relates to the long period of dismissing API certification and because of the direct marketing approach, but it also relates to the fact that some like or even need to stick to products that can be bought pretty much anywhere at any time. If you'd asked me 2 years ago, I might have made a "Scamsoil" or "Amway oil" wisecrack and walked away. The objectivity and knowledge of guys like Gary and Pablo on here has done a whole lot toward improving my view of their products and the company. You're not helping them. In particular, every time I hear things along the lines of "Amsoil was making synthetics before blah blah blah..." my attention goes somewhere else. Yugo was making cars before Hyundai, too- so how valuable is THAT argument? A good VOA or UOA trumps that any day.

Holy cow feces...

Am I the only person who has seen the fact that he NEEDS 5K oil changes for a WARRANTY?!?!? Basic oils are MORE than enough for him for a 5K OCI. M1 and AMSOIL would be a waste of $$$ for a 5K OCI.

D**N people, quit being so p*ssy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back