20 guage Wolf Hill 00 buck 8 Spread like a basketball size at 17 feet 8 pellets

Middle Rio #1 buck 9 pellets softball size

Bottom Sellier & Bellot # 2 buck 12 pellets
Baseball size

Came out sideways on my phone.
Left to right

987E4325-24B0-4803-907D-A19E202DF8EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Man, the power of 00 buck is something to behold. It is a meat grinder flying at the target. There is a YouTube video of a guy in Texas killing 5 hogs with one shot from a 12 guage with 00 buck. Devastating!

Last edited:
Assuming this is for home defense?

Because of the design, case capacity, and interior shell stacking of pellets of 20 gauge ammo, most people recommend #3 buckshot in 20 gauge for home defense.

The larger stuff doesn't stack right in the case, which can give odd patterns, and less than optimal pellet count.

Assuming its for home defense, I would personally just stick with the tried and true #3 buckshot in 20 gauge.

20 pellets of #3 buckshot is a man stopper
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/rem...-3-buckshot-20-pellets-20630-p-3168.aspx

Yes home and think you're right.
And it shows on the target for the 00
That being said it looks like it could be a good round for when you're just waking up and have sleep in your eyes.
I'm thinking of having 1 as the first round. Even one pellet could be fatal.
I've read that some police stopped 00 and tried number 4 buckshot's then stopped and went back because it was not stopping people.

I tried the 2 buck federal three inch Magnum and it hurt. Brutal. I'm too old for it.

Last edited:
#3 buckshot penetrates 14 to 17 inches in gel, which is IDEAL according to FBI testing protocol. Times 20 pellets, and you have the ultimate home defense load.

No need for 3 inch magnums or larger shot size in a 20 guage.

Police shotguns fail because officers use them as rifles and make shots at 40-60 yards, which might get one or two pellets on target. At across the room distances, 10 feet or less (typical home defense situation), you'll get all 20 pellets on target if you aim center mass, and it WILL work.

I've extensively studied ballistics for years, and for what its worth, my home defense 12 gauge is loaded with #4 buckshot, as my testing shows it to be the most devastating home defense load you can buy in a 12 gauge. If I used a 20 gauge, it would be loaded with #3 buckshot, as number 3 stacks perfectly in the 20 gauge shell.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

Assuming its for home defense, I would personally just stick with the tried and true #3 buckshot in 20 gauge.

20 pellets of #3 buckshot is a man stopper
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/rem...-3-buckshot-20-pellets-20630-p-3168.aspx

Bubba, thanks for the link! Ever since you mentioned this ammo to me in one of my post, I've been looking around locally and online and couldn't find any. I'm gonna purchase some from your link to have on hand.

That Remington Ultimate defense Managed Recoil load with 17 pellets has a velocity of 1140 FPS. The 20 pellet load above is at 1200 FPS.

So my guestimation is that the 17 pellet load, going 60 feet slower, is going to be a low recoil load. In fact, its confirmed on the box, as they call it a managed recoil load, which is Remington speak for low recoil load.

Yes recoil matters. I once thought I was going to use a 16 pellet, #1 load, 12 gauge for home defense. Until I shot it, and found that it easily had 60-75% more recoil than some of the light recoil loads on the market.

Buy a couple boxes of everything, give them all a try, pattern them, and then decide if you like the low recoil load or prefer the full power load. I doubt 17 pellets, vs 20 pellets, is going to make a hill of beans difference to a bad guy.

Thanks
Got ya. I've actually shot them number three that you put up and have some at home.
I can't remember if I put it up but I bought the federal 3 inch magnum number 2 buck and it hurt. It's just too much.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
Thanks
Got ya. I've actually shot them number three that you put up and have some at home.
I can't remember if I put it up but I bought the federal 3 inch magnum number 2 buck and it hurt. It's just too much.

Have you tried a recoil pad? They work well on taming the recoil transmitted to your shoulder. Just make sure it doesn't add too much to the LOP for your taste.

Systems that use spacers in addition to a recoil pad to allow adjustment of LOP are one of the greater boons I've found, like this one for Remington long arms. I understand this one works for 7400 & 7600 carbines & rifles as well as 870 shotguns, just like the Timney 870 trigger kit.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/19481

My Steyr Pro Hunter .30-06 came with a similar system from the factory but it included a poor recoil pad. I removed 1" of spacer and added a Limbsaver Airtech slip-on recoil pad and it worked wonders.

https://limbsaver.com/pages/recoil-...JOts6JcqarO9a5Uhnw5Qv5BBoQUaAqW2EALw_wcB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back