New 100% PAO oil - what would you ask the company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple months ago someone here mentioned a new, full synthetic oil that is made by DSI (Direct Synthetics, Inc.) out of Tyler, Tx. I live 40 miles from Tyler and posted in that thread that I would try to get out and meet with these people. I called yesterday and made an appointment and went out there today.

I met with Dr. David W. Sundis, Pres. and one of the owners of DSI. BTW, he will be moving to Brazil in a couple of weeks to start a DSI operation down there but the main facility will remain in Tyler with warehouses in Houston. I told him I was a member of an oil geek fourm that had 14000 members, all of whom are looking for the "perfect" oil. I asked for a sample of his Plantinum Performance Synthetic engine oil so I could send it to Blackstone for a VOA. He was more than happy to do so and even said DSI would pay for my analysis so I would not be out any pocket money. I thought that was pretty cool! However, for selfish reasons since I own a 2006 Honda, I wanted a sample in 5w20 which he did not have right there. He will call me when the next 5w20 batch comes in and I can take my sample.

He explained that DSI is and has been primarily a manufacturer of heavy duty synthetic lubricants. Among their products are AT fluid, Compressor lubricants, gear oils, hydraulic fluids, grease, turbine and vacuum pump oils, etc., etc. DSI includes special oils for equipment with high operating temps, low ambient temps and for environmentally sensitive areas. In fact, many of these products are biodegradeable. Now they are making 100% PAO oil for gas and diesel engines and a lower cost semi-synthetic as well. The Plantinum synthetic oil comes in lots of different weights from 0w20 up to 20w50 and are sold mostly via their website and even on ebay. Dr. Sundin said that for their motor oil they are targeting internet sales rather than retail.

The fellow was very pleasant and really knew his oil. Of course, anyone who knows the difference between dino and synthetic sounds impressive to me as I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Which brings me to my question. When he calls that the 5w20 batch has come in for me to take my sample (Blackstone's analysis will be posted here in the VOA section when I get it back), what should I ask him? I mean, specifically. Their website contains general information and specifications for one of their weight oils (I think it might be a 15w40 or something like that) but I'm looking to pick his brain as to why this oil is suppose to be so much better than any other. Of course, he is not going to give me his formula (nor will anyone else in the business) but I want to ask some good, informative questions. I did ask if he went to the expense of API certifications and he said "no" (I take it this must be a very detailed and expensive thing to do, especially for a relatively small company). In any event, he said every product produced by DSI meets or exceeds the benchmark requirements for that category of lubricant.

Well, we had a nice chat about the base product, additives, special metal bonding properties, etc. but I won't go into all this further because quite frankly, I did not know what in the world he was talking about! So, what would you all like to know about this oil, if anything, that is not mentioned on their website (or their ebay store for that matter)?

Quote:

So, what would you all like to know about this oil, if anything, that is not mentioned on their website (or their ebay store for that matter)?

Hmmm...off the top of my head, see if he'll tell you if it's like 75% PAO or some rough percentage and if there's any Group III basestock in it. Ask him what correction fluids are used like esters or alkylated napthalene or high viscosity high viscosity index PAO or other advanced PAOs. The quality of any Viscosity Index Improvers used. Where he buys his additives and if he uses a prescribed formula from where he buys his additives/basestocks. Do they do any in house quality control or other testing or do they strictly depend on the word of the additives/basestock suppliers.

Probably want to get Tom and bruce to chime in if you can.

Arent the add packs 'solubilized' in a lesser group oil to ensure miscibility? If so, then how can it be 100% PAO. Id ask him for the real makeup, i.e. if he means that the working fluid is 100% or if he means some other word game. If there is another oil used for additive compatibility, Id ask him what total volume of a quart/liter of finished product is made up of this stuff.

Id also be interested in knowing generically how he deals with the seal swell issue.

JMH

Yes, ask about what he uses for a solubility and seal swell fluid. Ask him about POE's and AN's or if he uses a large cut of Grp I as a correction fluid in addition to the additive carrier oils. Ask if they plan on creating a Product data sheet. Ask about any bench or service tests they have conducted as part of quality assurance.

I would like to see other companys do as Schaeffer's does and publish the results of their ASTM test sequences.

Hi 427,

I used to call on Dave some 20+ years ago when he was with a transformer manufacturer in Wisconsin, and have had some phone conversations with him since. He strikes me as an open and honest guy, so I think he will answer most questions. The ones you propose are pretty complete, and he would probably also give the VOA metals as well if asked.

Tom

1. 100% PAO Synthetic Basestock.
2. Exclusive "Ester Additive Technology" that cleans the engine as you drive. Hmmmm... Sounds kind of like Auto-RX.
3. 440*F Flash Point 5W-30, 450*F 15W-40
4. HDEO Claims CI-4 but is only 0.40 Ash which makes me believe it already meets requirements for CH-4.
5. Claims higher boiling point than any other synthetics but doesnt specify temperature.
6. Recommended OCI 15,000 mi.

I love living in oil country! I'm gonna check my local distributor to see if they carry the stuff or can get it.

5W30 Platnium Performance 100% PAO synthetic
Flash 440°F
Pour -50°F
cst@ 40°C=63.5
cst@100°C= 11.11
V Index 164
TBN 11

I too woundered about the "ester cleaning additive" in their PAO oil????

Thanks for your input, Tom.

If the price was reasonable and it performs as expected, it would be nice dealing with a straight shooter instead of the typical corporate mumbo jumbo.

1 From who is additive package or is he using components
2 From who is VII type and SSI.
3 What micron filtration is used.
4 Does he have bulk storage for base oils.
5 What QA tests are done.
6 Is mfg on site or is it toll blended and bottled.

He should/will not answer all of this but would tell me
a lot about them.
Bye the way I would answer most all the above depending on who wanted to know.
bruce

offtopic.gif
WARNING Topic Hijack in Progress!

Bruce you are always a Gentleman! If you are free to discuss it are there any outlets for your products in the SE.
I believe you primarily a blender for private labels?
popcorn.gif

Thanks guys, I will print out the questions you've given me and run them by DSI the next time I meet with them. In my rambling I simply forgot to link their websites but I see Bryanccfshr did it for me.

Quote:

offtopic.gif
WARNING Topic Hijack in Progress!

Bruce you are always a Gentleman! If you are free to discuss it are there any outlets for your products in the SE.
I believe you primarily a blender for private labels?
popcorn.gif

Some private label some our name.

Sorry but I have no wish to sell anything I make here, I do not push, sell, offer or even post company name or products here. I have sent out "stuff" to some guys that are into testing additves or oils BUT that is about it.

Always happy to talk about anything or sample this or that.

bruce

Bruce, I will respect your wish. You seem like a honorable, respectful individual who does not talk down to those of us lost in the dark trying to find our way with a bic lighter. I find in this world that are to few quality individuals. I wish you luck with your endeavours.

Quote:

Bruce, I will respect your wish. You seem like a honorable, respectful individual who does not talk down to those of us lost in the dark trying to find our way with a bic lighter. I find in this world that are to few quality individuals. I wish you luck with your endeavours.

Thank You you give me more credit than I deserve
grin.gif

happy to talk or email me if I can help with anything you may want to try out.
If I give out something I do not charge for it since i look at it as "field" testing.
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back