Neighborhood getting hit hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Break ins and home invasions are going to get more frequent and more brazen all over. It used to be you could just pick a "good area" and feel relatively safe, but now living in a good area more or less just makes you a better target. You probably have things, and your guard is probably down.

I grew up in a fairly wealthy town of about 50K people and never worried to much about break ins. Since moving to Charlotte about 5 years ago, it's something I think about daily. I live in a lower middle class neighborhood that is a few miles away from a neighborhood that was featured on the History Channel show "Gangland." There haven't been home invasions in my neighborhood, but there have been ones literally a mile away, so it's definitely a risk. Cars have been broken into here, including my roommate's Jeep. Nothing was taken because there was nothing to take, but obviously it's a risk we have to deal with.

My roommate and I have both gotten in the habit of removing radio face plates from our vehicles, locking all doors and windows, keeping exterior lights on at night (most of our neighbors do as well), and generally being mindful of suspicious activity. I even keep my utility trailer locked to the deck. Even if they were able to cut the deck to remove the trailer, the lock is on the tongue of the trailer so they wouldn't be able to tow it without removing that.

Luckily NC's Castle Doctrine says you do not have to retreat before using deadly force. I don't ever want to have to take care of a situation that way, but if someone forces their way into my house I'm going to assume they are there to do harm to me and I will do whatever is necessary to protect myself.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
You do have cops out there, right? Has anyone let them know what's been going on?

What's that going to do? Even if they know an area has a problem, all they really can do is patrol it more often and that's a band aid at best. Otherwise, they are just there to do paperwork after the fact, if it's even "serious" enough for them to look in to. The only person who is going to protect you is you.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: yonyon
You do have cops out there, right? Has anyone let them know what's been going on?

What's that going to do? Even if they know an area has a problem, all they really can do is patrol it more often and that's a band aid at best. Otherwise, they are just there to do paperwork after the fact, if it's even "serious" enough for them to look in to. The only person who is going to protect you is you.

+1

That's why after the house is ready to go the next purchase is a glock....

We are actually out of city so we have to rely on the Sheriff. Who are cool; I like them. They actually got here pretty soon after we called to take a report. I think it was 10 minutes? 15 tops. Same for the others we talked to.
But yeah they mentioned patrols of this area may get added due to the problem. I mean every little bit helps so I wouldnt necessarily tell them not to bother, but in all likely hood they will not be around when something is going down.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: Loobed
With unemployment the way it is and no assistance

"Please, don't feed the wildlife" say signs at the rest areas. The animals become lazy and forget how to find food on their own. No assistance for able-bodied men. Those are junkies, punks, hoodies, "unemployed" illegals and some other careful practitioners of Shortcut Theory. Sure, they will vote for you, if you give them a 'status' and institutionalize their crime. You, people, live in a paradise, you have no clue what words 'bad' and 'hard' mean. Life in this country is so easy, it's like a sandbox in a childrens' playground. Of course, everybody needs a break once in a while, but justifying break-ins by lack of assistance is a big mistake on a path to self destruction. Appeasement of evil is not going to make it go away.

I did not justify it, I just said why it was happening.

You missed when I wrote "I am not saying these people deserve financial assistance"

This country has given out free handouts for far too long (feeding the losers, and letting them proliferate).
I include 98% of government jobs as free handouts also.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
The only person who is going to protect you is you.

By "protect you" I think you meant "protect your possessions".

Yes, and also yourself. You have to assume someone who breaks into your house has the potential to harm you. I really don't feel bad for people who get shot breaking into houses.

At the very least these thugs should be walking with a cane for the remainder of their lives.

I feel bad for your guys going through this. It was one of the main reasons for me moving out of the big city. I remember sleepless nights waking at every car alarm wondering if it was mine, Louisville slugger beside the bed. I was on edge all the time.

Neighbourhood watch would be something I would go for in that situation. You get a few maim-ings under your belt as a community and thugs may think twice, maybe look to easier communities.

Looks like the cops found all our stuff at a "Junk store" I call it, less than a mile down the road. They have a license plate, and a face. Looks like this operation is about cooked.

banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Looks like the cops found all our stuff at a "Junk store" I call it, less than a mile down the road. They have a license plate, and a face. Looks like this operation is about cooked.

That's good they were able to recover your stuff. Hopefully they can identify and catch the thief or thieves. What sucks is when they get out of jail they will be at it again.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
The only person who is going to protect you is you.

By "protect you" I think you meant "protect your possessions".

Yes, and also yourself. You have to assume someone who breaks into your house has the potential to harm you. I really don't feel bad for people who get shot breaking into houses.

Agreed. If someone is willing to commit a relatively serious felony I assume that they aren't beyond escalating it to an even more serious felony resulting in the harm or death of me or my family members. There really isn't much of a leap to make between burglary and homicide for a career criminal. Lack of impulse control, lack of empathy, and lack of ability to think through the consequences of actions. It simply comes down to in the words of one of the repeat offender inmates "not having had to go that far... yet."

It's a completely different mindset. Where one of us "normal" people might regret having to have taken a life out of necessity their only regret would be the additional complications from having to kill their victim. It would be the victim's fault, in their minds, for having been there or having tried to stop them.

Of course, my perspective comes from working around inmates for several years.

YMMV - but I highly doubt it.

That's good they were able to recover your stuff. Hopefully they can identify and catch the thief or thieves. What sucks is when they get out of jail they will be at it again.

They caught him. 18 y.o male in a house right in our 'hood. We had all suspected it was someone operating from within the neighborhood. He had a bunch more stuff from ours and other houses that he had stolen.

Hopefully more states will start strengthening the "castle law".

Basically all states need to allow for deadly force if the owner is certain that their property (such as cars, ATVs, boats, ect,) is in the process of being stolen. Only when the norm becomes these scumbags being offed for property theft will it decrease.

I for one wouldn't have any regret killing these criminals.

Last edited:
They caught him. 18 y.o male in a house right in our 'hood. We had all suspected it was someone operating from within the neighborhood. He had a bunch more stuff from ours and other houses that he had stolen.

Glad they caught him. I hope he doesn't see the outside of a prison cell for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back