Neglected 2002 mustang gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 2002 mustang gt with 130k on it that is in good shape. But, it
Has been neglected a bit maintenance wise. The car has sat for 5 years garaged and I don't think the oil was ever changed since the previous owner had it. I changed out all of the fluids and my first oil fill was maxlife blend 5w20.
The oil turned a weird black very fast so I changed it. This fill I have pennzoil high mileage since it was on sale. Literally with in 2 days the oil turned that same coal colored thick black again. I think I am breaking up a bit of sludge and should run on the short side of ocis until things start to clear up. What would you guys suggest?

Sounds like a good find especially so if you really like that year Mustang.

You can really accomplish a lot without taking it out of service if you do a little bit each week. Planning is the key to a stress free recovery along with doing important and/or critical first. This kid of work can really be rewarding and with all the resource on line there's no reason not make make good decision. You can also figure out tasks that require a shop to keep your project going. YouTube can be a real help, too.

I have a 99 vw that did the same thing. Previous owner neglected it

I just changed the oil every time it got dark until it began to stay reasonably clean through the OCI

My jeep did that when I started using HDEO, first fill oil turned black the first drive. Second fill 200 miles. This fill it's been 2K miles and 2 years and is still looking good. The oil filter was clean after 2k as well. I don't see it necessary doing anything more than a severe service interval for a couple of fills. It'll clean up nicely.

Only other thing would be to run top tier filter like Fram Ultra or Mobil 1. You also should cut it open and post the pics. Would be interesting for a lot of us.

For a while I'd do just what you are doing. Change oil chemistry every change. Each brand will have a slightly different add pak and will attack different issues. But, in your case I'd toss in a can of BG 109 (now called EPR) every change for the next 1/2 dozen. It will speed up the process and it will not hurt anything
smile.gif

I'd also run an oversized filter if you can find one the fits. It will help with catching stuff and still flowing well w/o opening the by-pass
smile.gif

Don't freak about the black color. Just go at least 1,000 miles between changes. Let the chemistry work. Slowly add distance until you get semi-clear oil out to say 5,000. Then GTG
smile.gif

Last edited:
Run it at least a 1000 miles before changing the oil again. Color doesnt say much..but if its thickening and has chunks..then I suppose changing asap isnt a bad idea...after the oil change cut open the oil filter and see if you find anything abnormal or if excessive dirt/chunks.

Right when I flushed the coolant the intake started leaking from under the thermostat housing.
So far I have replaced pads, rotors, bleed the brakes, diff fluid manual trans fluid, 1 tire, alignment, quad shocks
In the rear, spark plugs, injector orings, and intake manifold. I put on the oem intake not for an.

I got the car for being a daily driver without having a payment. Plus I want to do
What my father did and have a project for my 2yr old son and I.

I got the car for being a daily driver without having a payment. Plus I want to do
What my father did and have a project for my 2yr old son and I. [/quote]

Sounds like your still paying with all those repairs but if your staying out of the bar and home with Jr two thumbs up.
No pictures? I am looking at getting a driver fixer Mustang too.

Originally Posted By: daemontrym
Right when I flushed the coolant the intake started leaking from under the thermostat housing.
So far I have replaced pads, rotors, bleed the brakes, diff fluid manual trans fluid, 1 tire, alignment, quad shocks
In the rear, spark plugs, injector orings, and intake manifold. I put on the oem intake not for an.

What my father did and have a project for my 2yr old son and I.

That happened to my friends Mustang of this vintage. I thought it was just the thermostat housing and didn't think it'd be an issue to help him, but it turns out it is the entire intake manifold gasket as shown in the above video.. and if you need to replace the one, the other will need done too.

I think I could have done the job, but I work very slow and he needed the car on the weekends which was the only time I am available.

For whatever reason, his consumes oil something fierce. He said he uses around 5 quarts between a 7500 mile run. Not sure if it's really thaaaaat bad or not, but it's something worth keeping an eye on.

*Aren't aftermarket intakes better than the OEM's?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daemontrym
What would you guys suggest?

Take a preemptive strike and replace the intake manifold.
Replace it with the one listed in the Ford Performance Parts catalog and avoid the aftermarket junk that uses o-rings instead of gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back