negatives to high detergent oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wondering if there are negatives to high detergent oils such as pennziol ultra.
such as harsher chemicals that my harm seals and things?
just a question.

Last edited:
I don't know if this gets linked to a lot around here, but there is some good info at http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
Specifically:
Quote:
Worth noting, CI-4 diesel motor oils tend to have more detergents, and it has been determined in the SAE paper "Oil Development for Nascar" that overly detergent motor oils can block or "clean" the anti-wear films off of engine parts, that is one reason that these oils usually have high levels of anti-wear additives. SAE Technical Paper Series 2007-01-3999, Modern Heavy Duty Engine Oils with Lower TBN Showing Excellent Performance, also show that low detergent packages increase the effectiveness of film formation, just as in racing oils tend to have less aggressive detergent packages, which is another reason many be to consider a racing oil versus a diesel oil for your engine. The new ACEA E9 specification will be for a low Zn and P (ash) oil with low TBN, building upon this relationship to ensure that wear protection is not sacrificed for improved detergency or longer drain intervals.

and...
Quote:
The more detergent an oil is, the more anti-wear additives are needed. That means the correct amount of Zn and P in any given oil is a moving target.

I think it's all about balance.

Excellent base stock...right additives and amounts (aka formulation)...a tested and proven product in the applications it will most likely be used in. Proper viscosity for climate and suggested manufacturer's specs. Staying within proper change intervals.

Push the envelope and go to extremes and your wallet might just pay.

I think Quaker State...Castrol...Penzoil...Amsoil...Mobil...Royal Purple...Redline..valvoline...Kendall...etc conventional...blend or synthetics have more in common than not.

As far as too much or not enough additives..all these companies have excellent ..can't miss products.

If you start with synthetic I have found you can eat off the internals 100,000 miles later.

I have seen 1100 HP Cigarette Offshore Racing Boat engines at recommended tear-down that used Amsoil or M-1 and what a difference compared to the wear and gunk on an engine that had conventional oil in it.

Synthetics don't break down..I think that products like Platinum or Ultra are great for cars gunked up with a conventional oil...

Break in oils are often low or no detergent types.This shows us that detergents can slow down additive processes or otherwise 'clean' them or prevent them from doing their job.

For other reasons, I would not consider a non detergent oil for the street. But their are downsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back