Need your advice (Wrong filter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally ordered Wix filters for my Brougham 307 olds engine. Instead of ordering Wix 51045, I ordered Wix 51522.

Here are the spec sheets for both filters:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=153657

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=78145

Apparently 51522 shorter than (OE) 51045. Anyway, I thought if shipping it back to Rockauto but the shipping cost ($21) higher than the three filters ($13.86) since I am shipping them from Canada.

Now the questions are:

Can I use them in my Brougham? Any issue?
What cars can benefit from this filter?
Do you recommend returning them since I am going to order 51045 anyway from Rockauto?

Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Can you swap 'em at a parts shop which deals in WIX filters ? Just tell 'em what you did.

A friend gave me an old (for an '80's Honda) WIX which my store hadn't sold one of in 16 years and they still gave me a swap.

The yellow box was all faded too.

Originally Posted By: Highline9
Looks like one has an anti drain back, one doesn't.

What say you?

Yep, and the one he bought has a silicone adbv which hurts nothing. Having an adbv where not required is no issue, not so vice versa. Other than a small difference in burst strength and being slightly shorter, same. I'd use it.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Can you swap 'em at a parts shop which deals in WIX filters ? Just tell 'em what you did.

A friend gave me an old (for an '80's Honda) WIX which my store hadn't sold one of in 16 years and they still gave me a swap.

I'm sot sure if they would accept that since local stores might mind because the price differences (CAD to US dollars)

He's in Canada. As much as we are a friendly bunch he's probably SOL with doing that.

I would at least use one filter for a short OCI and see how it performs.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Yep, and the one he bought has a silicone adbv which hurts nothing. Having an adbv where not required is no issue, not so vice versa. Other than a small difference in burst strength, and being slightly shorter, same. I'd use it.

The amount of oil required would change as well? Does the oil pressure will be an issue?

Originally Posted By: JC1

He's in Canada. As much as we are a friendly bunch he's probably SOL with doing that.

I would at least use one filter for a short OCI and see how it performs.

Totally agree there some pros and cons for being in Canada & this is one of the cons. Local parts stores are being conservative lately especially with items purchased out of Canada.

Originally Posted By: momo
Yep, and the one he bought has a silicone adbv which hurts nothing. Having an adbv where not required is no issue, not so vice versa. Other than a small difference in burst strength, and being slightly shorter, same. I'd use it.

The amount of oil required would change as well? Does the oil pressure will be an issue?

Not enough to make a significant difference. And if it makes you feel better, quick lubes and many indys use downsized/consolidated jobber filters to spec oem as standard practice. Seen many of them posted here with no issues.

And if it makes you feel better, quick lubes and many indys use downsized/consolidated jobber filters to spec oem as standard practice. Seen many of them posted here with no issues.

+1, very common for quickie lube places and many indies to only stock a certain # of filters - note that most quicklube places are using an FL500 type filter for any Ford that requires an 820 or 500, perhaps even more. Shouldn't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back