New Wix filter for Subaru 2.5 FB motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on a new product release from Wix they've released the 57830 as a filter for the new 2.5 FB Subaru motors in the Forrester. It doesn't list the filter for the Legacy yet, but I can't see why it would not work since it is the same motor. I may have to give this one a try for the wife's 2013 Legacy.

WIX 57830

Also listed as a Napa Gold

Napa Gold 7830

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sopususer
I saw this on a new product release from Wix they've released the 57830 as a filter for the new 2.5 FB Subaru motors in the Forrester. It doesn't list the filter for the Legacy yet, but I can't see why it would not work since it is the same motor. I may have to give this one a try for the wife's 2013 Legacy.

WIX 57830

Is this filter equivalent to the MC-FL 820s and FL-500s?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Is this filter equivalent to the MC-FL 820s and FL-500s?

NO.

The FL820 has a 16 PSI bypass vs the Fl500S which has an 8 lb bypass.

The WIX 57830 has a 28PSI bypass rating.

Both OEM filters are speced out at 23.2 psi.

^^^ My local Napa warehouse is showing the Napa gold in stock.

Part Number: FIL 7830 at $5.98ea

I remember searching back in June when you posted it and came up dry around here. Forgot all about it until now.

Last edited:
Theory is the high volume that the oil pump is able to put out.

Even the small 9mm oil pump does almost 11-12GPM, the larger 10, 11, and 12mm pumps can do 16+ GPM and around 20 GPM once you start going past redline on modded engines.

Since we are talking PSID (pressure in v. out Delta) does the bypass really figure in? The pump and subsequent filter output is hiughly restricted by the engine - it's NOT a wide open system post filter by any reason. IIRC, the high bypass is only a concern for turbo oiling, not NA. I would not run a flat gasket filter on this engine as i've had leaks or weeping using various aftermarket units. Is the new wix a flat gasket or a P gasket?

Last edited:
I see WIX lists the beta ratio in the link in the first post as:

2/20/75=26/>50/>50

Which means:
2=26: 50% @ 26 microns
20=>50: 95% @ >50 microns
75=>50: 98.7% @ >50 micron.

Not the most efficient filter I've seen. 95% @ 50 microns isn't that great. Looks like it's made to flow in order to handle the Subaru high volume oil pumps.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I see WIX lists the beta ratio in the link in the first post as:

2/20/75=26/>50/>50

Which means:
2=26: 50% @ 26 microns
20=>50: 95% @ >50 microns
75=>50: 98.7% @ >50 micron.

Not the most efficient filter I've seen. 95% @ 50 microns isn't that great. Looks like it's made to flow in order to handle the Subaru high volume oil pumps.

Understatement IMHO. I looked at that two, but I am not sure how much faith to put into those beta ratio numbers on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back