Need to vent!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't get over the nerve of some people. It amazes me the way people act these days. I need to get this off my chest...

This past summer I resigned from an organization I had been doing the website work for. Did it for almost a decade. Did literally THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars in free work for them ranging from free website remodels to running projects at no charge. Much of it done when they could have paid me for the work and after I became disabled and unable to work regularly. I still did it for them free. I did start to charge for some of it but at their direct insistence. The bills definitely went up but I still did THOUSANDS in free work. Between the time I started and resigned membership really grew.

Unfortunately, as it grew and more and more people joined up the usual happened. Clique's began to form, internal bickering started, and the usual power plays began to take shape. A group formed and ousted some of those in charge last year and then proceeded to make my life a living [censored] until I had enough and resigned this past summer as said ^^^. I am not going into details but will say a lot of the things said about/to me would send the average person running to lawyer about a lawsuit. However, I am not like that and old ties die hard for me. I didn't want to hurt the good folks still there. So I just walked away.

I even gave 60 days in which I would assist with whatever was needed for a new site and I continued to keep the current site updated and functional. I think I went above and beyond considering the reasons I left. The place chose not to do anything during that 60 days other than have me do regular updates though. So after 60 days I notified them I was done. Some site features had to be disabled but I warned them that would happen after the 60 days so I didn't do it out of spite or anything and they knew it was coming.

So I figured I did right by the place in general and that I could hold my head up high knowing the problem wasn't me. That hasn't stopped them from veiled comments that imply I left them high and dry though. Worded just right so they can claim innocence but it is clear they are trashing me. I can live with it though. Truth be told I am relieved to be done with it. Being so sick the stress of what went on from last year to this past summer really dragged me down. I feel like a weight has been lifted off me now that I no longer have to deal with those I was forced to for the job.

Then this morning I get a message that there is a problem and they want me to fix it. HA! Not happening. They had a period where I offered to help with the transition and didn't take advantage of it. Now months later they want me to bail them out? NOT!

Just amazes me the way people think. I thought them wanting me to continue to run their projects( for fee )was something but coming to me all this time later wanting me to fix problems is the real winner. Who thinks to even begin to ask something like that?

Anyway, just had to blow off some steam. Thanks for listening.

PS - No I will not tell you who they are nor provide a link to the site. Not here and not in a PM. I am not going to get into a war with them or trash the place on the whole over the actions of a few. Just some generalized venting here by me.

Last edited:
So even after they take advantage, you give them 60 DAYS NOTICE?

I would have given them a couple of weeks as that is the general standard in any business. However in your specific situation I would have given them ONE DAY.

They took you for a sucker.
whistle.gif
crackmeup2.gif
33.gif

Last edited:
Consulting my friend, consulting. You would be HAPPY to do the work, for $750 per hour. 4 hour minimum. Heck, have them issue you a pager/cell phone for emergencies.

This reminds me of a hospital that laid off a guy with 33 years at the hospital and wore many hats and was an encyclopedia of info.

2 weeks later the hospital was calling the guy asking him how to do certain things only he knew how to do...

I hope you find appreciation and fulfillment in a different endeavor. I try to rationalize they way people behave. I'm 54,and have not got any closer to making sense of it at my ripe age, vs when I was very young.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished....you describe a very painful experience and lesson.

I'd suggest some sort of physical exercise (if possible) to vent additional angst!

You ALWAYS have to remember when you are dealing with a business, ALWAYS treat the situation as such. You DO NOT GIVE AWAY your services for ANY REASON. No compensation = no work.

Last edited:
What I have learned from EVERY company I've worked for is that nasty comments about others to you will ALWAYS precede nasty comments about you to others.

Hi there.

Make it worth your while to do a job for them. Give them a quote for the service, get the half payment up front, and the rest before you finish your job. Make it worth your time.

If they don't take your offer, let them find someone else.

But above all, make it worth your effort and get paid some in advance.

Reminds me of a previous job where there was a round of layoffs that went through. Then company realized they needed help in the department I still worked in, so they called up one of the guys who was laid off and asked if he'd come back to work until they could hire a new employee. He said he'd be glad to help, but as a contractor, and gave them his hourly rate (which was VERY generous for the work he had to do). Because they needed someone immediately, they had to agree and so he came to work with us getting paid more than any of us on a per-hour basis.

I continued to work there for another week, and then then turned in my notice because I had gotten a better job. They were even worse off than before, so they kept me on the books for a few more week and I would log in in the evenings and continue to do some work for them.

One day notice would have been plenty, but 2 weeks was more than fair. I'd have made it a point to describe to the others the reasons I was leaving under and why. It's only business and the players have a right to know.

At this point, charge a wage that you know is fair...assuming you want the work. A friend of mine by his later 50's became the key planner in a tool design operation. He must have been doing the job of 3 people. When they tried to add the work of a 4th person he requested additional compensation..and was denied. He promptly resigned and started his own specialty business in a diff field, something he always wanted to do. A few years later he said it was the smartest thing he ever did.

His old company ended up hiring 2-3 additional people to help compensate. And they even tried to lure him back with more money. He wanted nothing to do with it. He was his own boss and working with a lot less stress.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Kinda like the welfare class seems to think they deserve free stuff?
LMAO, so they don't go running around breaking into good neighborhoods .

Sounds kind of bitter. Better off greeting customers at Walmart instead of sitting at home fuming. A new job, any job will get your mind of the last one quicker than the alternative.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
This reminds me of a hospital that laid off a guy with 33 years at the hospital and wore many hats and was an encyclopedia of info.

2 weeks later the hospital was calling the guy asking him how to do certain things only he knew how to do...

Yeah, but somebody's nephew needed a job.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Yeah, but somebody's nephew needed a job.

Yes!

Nepotism is a really chronic and serious problem today more than ever before. It not only can degrade the performance of the work required to be done, but can also create more work for others who actually earn their way, which in turn will cause resentment on the part of those who are deserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back