Need to buy a chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
stihl
It looks like the Stihl saws are priced about what the Poulan Pro is anyways. Seems like a no brainer here.

No brainer?

The PP5020 AV is a 50cc saw vs the stihl in your link that is a 30cc saw.....

And, If it matters to anyone, The MS170 is made in china.

I've use both and a whole lot more, they are in the same price category and the MS170 will keep up just fine. The PP is under powered for the bar/chain they usually put on them, the MS170 however does have a fairly delicate chain, it's a 3/8 .043 micro style and they break easily if you hit anything like a rock or nail. For trimming and a little wood for the camp fire either one will work just fine, you will have better support and service with a dedicated Stihl dealer, the PP big box sales people generally would have to pull out the manual just to tell you what spark plug they take.

I've used the Stihl MS170 has good top speed. Given I did try it on Kiawe wood(hardwood) it cuts good but is limited depending how thick the cut is. I've also used a MCCULLOCH 16" cheap $125 chainsaw(home usage) years ago it wasn't bad a little slower but could cut thicker wood. The MCCULLOCH tend to be under powered(not high reving saw) but that can be misleading as it had the torque to cut thicker Kiawe wood vs the Stihl MS170 high reving..

The Stihl MS170 would be ideal for softer woods like Citrus Fruits for most home owners.

Last edited:
Good choice of chainsaw there, asoduk. It should serve you well and for many years if you take good care of it. I have a Stihl 029 Farm Boss with an 18" bar (I think the equivalent model nowadays is the MS290), which I've owned for about 15 years. It's seen sporadic periods of intense usage and long periods of inactivity. I suspect that will probably be the case for you as well. So here is what I recommend:

1.) Always empty the saw of fuel and run it dry (i.e., run the remaining gas out of the carburetor) before you store it for a long time. You may also want to "fog" the engine afterwards to prevent rust. I always empty my saw of fuel and run it dry but don't usually do the fogging. But it is a good idea.

2.) Use excellent quality oil for your 2 cycle mix (Stihl's oil is good, Amsoil or other synthetics are better). Be sure to mix your gas/oil mix in the correct proportions written on the oil bottle!

3.) Use ONLY "pure" gas for your saw (mixed with the proper amount of oil, of course); i.e., gasoline with no ethanol. You want to use 100% pure gasoline to avoid ethanol separation and potential damage to your saw's carb that could result. You can find ethanol-free gas stations in your locale here:

http://pure-gas.org/

4.) Be very careful when using a chainsaw; they are dangerous and can "bite" you very quickly if you're not careful. That said, chainsaws are also one of the greatest inventions of modern man, so don't hesitate to use yours now that you have it. Chaps and other protective gear are strongly recommended!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back