Need tires for my Ranger- 225/70R15

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
One of my kumhos has decided to separate and the remaining two Hankooks from my last set are down to about 3/32” so I think it’s time for a set of four. My only hard requirement is that they are American made; but I would like the best treadwear ratings and overall quality for the price.

I’m considering the Firestone Destination LE3, and Cooper Discoverer AT3. Any experiences with these tires and other recommendations would be appreciated.

I’ve used the Cooper before and they are great I’m my opinion. Seem to grip well. Glad they are still USA made too. Never have used a Firestone brand tire before but they seem to be good based on what I’ve heard.

One of my kumhos has decided to separate and the remaining two Hankooks from my last set are down to about 3/32” so I think it’s time for a set of four. My only hard requirement is that they are American made; but I would like the best treadwear ratings and overall quality for the price.

I’m considering the Firestone Destination LE3, and Cooper Discoverer AT3. Any experiences with these tires and other recommendations would be appreciated.
I had Destination LE2's and they were absolute trash in the rain. NO wet traction. No experience with the LE3's, but I moved to Continentals after that and have been very pleased.

I haven't put them on my Blazer yet (Mounted on summer wheels) but I got Dextero tires from Walmart in 235/75-15 for $64 each. USA made. Look like a decent all season, I was buying on price though, it's just my airport car.

I’ve got 29k miles on the Dextero DHT2 from Walmart. I think they will double that pretty easy with the wear they have now. I run them at 45psi. This is an 03 Ranger.
Those look like an excellent value if they continue to hold up, even if you only get the advertised 50k out of them... do you know what the tread depth is now vs what it started with?

General Grabbers HTS60, are rated good and available at Walmart, you can order online and sent to a Walmart tire service for installation
These look excellent as well. Thank you for the suggestion.

They don’t show up on General’s website in this size, but Walmart has them in stock. Also looks to be a bit cheaper than other sizes of the same model tire. Maybe they’re being discontinued in my size, seems like the options are dwindling compared to when the truck was new.

These look excellent as well. Thank you for the suggestion.

They don’t show up on General’s website in this size, but Walmart has them in stock. Also looks to be a bit cheaper than other sizes of the same model tire. Maybe they’re being discontinued in my size, seems like the options are dwindling compared to when the truck was new.
they had a best buy rating from Consumer Reports on an HT style truck tire

Buy a set of BFG’s
I bought two sets of them within the last month and was disappointed to find most sizes are now made in Mexico.

Still good tires, though. Cars rarely if ever get driven so mostly they need to look good.

Put them on a '71 AMX and a '78 vette. Will probably buy another set for the '68 vette soon.

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

Sweet rides for sure !!!!

But the KO2’s for your Ranger is what you need
That's something to consider. I'd have to go up to 235/75R15 but that would fit and look great. Would need to program the speedo/ABS module to compensate for the size change but I think I have a tool which can do that.

Local wal-mart had the Dextero DHT2s in stock, I bought a set. Date codes 0620... not complaining for cheap tires in a size which is dwindling in popularity. Made by Giti in South Carolina so I doubt they're horrendous... that being said I'm not expecting anything fabulous. Will be driving this truck less now since I have the new F-150, I may go for higher end tires after I do my V8 swap. They had a line around the block and one woman told me she had been waiting four hours for an oil change. I'll have Discount Tire install them in the morning.

I just took a closer look at the tires... both have the same date codes, tread patters, etc but the sidewall lettering is slightly different. Started reading the text and one tire is made in USA, the other is made in Indonesia. Both have Made in USA stickers. The Indonesian tire is considerably softer rubber. Likely very different construction.

Maybe I’ll return them and buy Phantoms from Discount Tire for $20 more. At least I’ll know there’s some consistency there. Or just take my chances with some random crap. This is why I don’t like Wal-Mart, should have known better.

Back