Need thoughts on Royal Purple, MB1 and Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Dave - I only "bristle" when people make claims that they cannot substantiate, regardless of the Brand!

We must always remember that many people accessing this Forum have little or no real knowledge of the subject. Throwaway lines that supposedly have a "aura" of realism in them pollute the facts that many of us try to live by and promote

I'm not having a shot at you. I believe that your contribution to the Forum is extremely valuable. I merely mention that you have a strong preference for Mobil, Shell and Castrol products and that this is presumably because you have had a close association with these companies for many years. I have noticed a tendency to "recommend" these products in a large number of posts which is to be expected.

As a previous poster has indicated there would be little if any variance in engine life between these three Oil Company/Blender's products if they all met similar specifications and when used in an identical duty cycle

I agree. They are all high quality oils but then so are AMSoil and Royal Purple

In a controlled Laboratory test to "destruction" the results would most likely be somewhat the same if shooting to only meet say a API test process - generally we don't know how Royal Purple and Amsoil lubricants would perform here - we do with M1

Disagree with this. AMSoil and Royal Purple have been on sale and used by enough people in the real world to have identified if these oils are lacking in performance. Laboratory tests are one thing, real world testing is another. I personally place more value on real world testing. I believe there are enough UOA's on this forum supporting that AMSoil is a high performing oil
In an engine Manufacturer's test protocols the results may be quite different as many of these tests are component and use/application specific. Again few if any of the Royal Purple and Amsoil products have Manufacturer Approvals. M1 in various forms has many Manufacturer Approvals and is a first fill and then the service fill of some by choice
In a Lab test routine using RATT and/or other wear rate testing mechanisim the likely results of the Royal Purple and Amsoil products is an unknown quantity. M1 does seek Manufacturer Approvals and works with the engine and compnents makers (as do Castrol, Shell, Caltex and etc) to quantify component wear rates and lubricant deterioration processes
This is why using Manufacturer prescribed products is an easy and safe choice for the average user!

Given all things being equal, manufacturers in any industry will take the safe way out and recommend mainstream products rather than boutique products. This doesn't mean they are superior to the boutique products or vice versa. Manufacturers also need to limit their costs in conducting tests for the multitude of suppliers in the marketplace (ie they will not test every brand and will normally only test mainstream brands)

So and IMHO the average BITOG Member could use same specification products from the three named contenders (and many others too) in the correct application and achieve suitable and likely identical user results from each. Any margins would not be noticed!

Don't disagree with this at all. They are however Brands and people have preferences for brands based on either marketing, personal preference,. recommendations etc etc. This doesn't mean that one is better than the other.

My ultimate point to this is, people have different opinions based on personal bias, experience, likes, dislikes etc. Mainstream manufacturers are a safe bet for pretty much everything but not always the best bet. For example, my preference for TV's is for Loewe (a boutique German brand). They don't have the resources of say Philips but produce some of the finest TV's available

Hi,
Dave - you said this;
"Given all things being equal, manufacturers in any industry will take the safe way out and recommend mainstream products rather than boutique products. This doesn't mean they are superior to the boutique products or vice versa. Manufacturers also need to limit their costs in conducting tests for the multitude of suppliers in the marketplace (ie they will not test every brand and will normally only test mainstream brands)"

Actually this is not so. Any Oil Company/Blender can submit their products for testing and maybe achieve Approval. There are over 100 lubricants are on the Porsche List at present (from some suppliers I bet you have never heard of) and as I recall even 40 odd years ago there was about 200 lubricants in the Mercedes Benz Approved lubricants "Blue Book"

Manufacturers are happy to have a wide selection of suitable lubricants readily available. It is the Oil Co. Blender who pays the certification costs. Some quite extensive Tests are done in well equipped and "certified" Labs using the appropriate testing equipment. For instance Castrol do an enormous amount of road testing for VW-Audi around the World. As both Shell and ExxonMobil do for other Manufacturers. Some of this in-field in- use "real world" testing is conducted over some years. I know because I have been intimately involved in it for decades!

Which again brings us back to the likes of Amsoil (they do make some good products - just not "the best"). They obviously believe that the costs of Certification (API/ACEA/Manufacturer and etc) is not justified in their Market place. That is their Commercial decision and they must "wear" the consequences of that of course!

For the engine Manufacturer it is primarily about meeting performance criteria, availability in their Market places, stability of and in production/blending facilities and such things

Oh, and I prefer B&O's TV's and stereo equipment over Loewe!

Last edited:
Doug,

don't really want to get into an argument about this.

Quote:
There are over 100 lubricants are on the Porsche List at present (from some suppliers I bet you have never heard of)

I've checked out the Porsche List and yes I have heard of most of them but there are some I haven't heard of. These appear to be market specific oils. I've been a corporate executive for enough years to be jaded enough to take the view that there can be other motivators behind having an oil on an approved list (eg "You want to sell cars in our country and yet our national oil carrier isn't on your approved list?"). Negotiations undertaken, marketing issue resolved, sales proceeding. I know. I've been there with other products.

Quote:
"Which again brings us back to the likes of Amsoil (they do make some good products - just not "the best")"
You challenge others to back up their statements when they challenge M1 etc and my position is that it works both ways. You have to be prepared to back this up with real world evidence. C'mon Doug!

Quote:
For the engine Manufacturer it is primarily about meeting performance criteria, availability in their Market places, stability of and in production/blending facilities and such things
This is precisely my point, it isn't about the best oil for the vehicle. Everything is a compromise and mainstream manufacturers can more easily accommodate these compromises.

I value your viewpoint, knowledge and experience but you also add your personal opinions (as do I and other members)which appear to be coloured by your close association with Mobil, Castrol and Shell. Others deserve to be able to do the same.

I like B&0 Stereo's but their TV's are overpriced and not of the best quality in my experience (had a bad experience)

Hi,
Dave - I have never said that any Mobil, Shell or Castrol product is the best. And I have used Valvoline, Motul, Fuchs, Caltex (ex employer) Repsol and Pennzoil products too to nsme a few, and some in extended tests as well

The "Amsoil is best" statement was made by others in this Thread and I just need to be assured that it is. I won't be of course because it isn't unless of course you narrow the "judgemental" criteria. We live in the real world and advertising can quickly pollute the mind - but I'm sure you already know that

Any equivalent Royal Purple, Amsoil or M1 product with matching specifications will perform at almost similar levels in an identical application - the variance in the life of the engine will be virtually undetectable

The perfect lubricant does NOT exist and neither I may add does the magic one that is all things to all people

And I never made the claim that M1 or Royal Purple was "the best"!!

Last edited:
Hi,
lazaro - you say "the fuel savings alone beat out all the competitiors"

Any hard facts to back this up or is it Amsoil speak????

the only facts are my personal experience owing and operating me and my family vehicles, I do all my own work and from my point of view on the matter, I spend less money, have more time to do other projects on my vehicles.
hard facts? all I have is 10 years using conventional oil 1988-1996 R.I.P. 1997-2008 one oil change a year 8 vehicles.
much cheaper than revolving door oil changes.
just my opinion no hard facts

Originally Posted By: buster
lazaro, Amsoil is not the only quality oil on the market. Who does Amsoil buy from? Who does the R&D? I like Amsoil, but lets keep it real here.

yes there is other quality Synthetic oil companies, not more than a handfull.
from what I know Amsoil buys from a few sources, Exxon is one one them.
R&D is done by who? I would think 35 years of R&D blending lubricants for specific applications would either sink a company or make it a sucessful company as it is now.
Soley supported by people who are passionate about their machines performance and operating cost.
that is what I call keeping it real...

I think your thinking is on the right track, lazaro. But, why don't you go all the way and start using Synlube? You then can stop changing oil.
Besides, oil consumption will most probably go down some 50-80%, judgin from what real world users of this product says.

Just a thought.

RP-sucks
M1-not the "wonder oil" it was thought to be

Amsoil-The Best!

and thats the end of the conversation!

Originally Posted By: jonny-b
I think your thinking is on the right track, lazaro. But, why don't you go all the way and start using Synlube? You then can stop changing oil.
Besides, oil consumption will most probably go down some 50-80%, judgin from what real world users of this product says.

Just a thought.

why cant I do the same with Amsoil? synlube is rather hard to get and cost alot more.
bypass filters are available for super long extended drains.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
RP-sucks

Amsoil-The Best!

I am not knocking Amsoil but the best ! really .in what way?

Hi,
Doug - You said this:

Any equivalent Royal Purple, Amsoil or M1 product with matching specifications will perform at almost similar levels in an identical application - the variance in the life of the engine will be virtually undetectable

Please substantiate this statement!

Regards
Eric

Hi,
k9jadon - Of course I can't substantiate it - but then I never said that one was better than another either and that was the point!

So when meeting the appropriate and matching International specifications, and I course I mean either those of the API or ACEA, they must demonstrate and pass the same wear and degradation criteria based on the intended application

A lubricant that does NOT meet all of the criteria simply does NOT pass and this is the only common datum point we have

The problem is that Red Purple and Amsoil (and some others) don't always submit their products for "accreditation"

An example is Amsoil's Series 3000 HD Diesel 5w-30 lubricant which meets MB229.3 standard and is listed with Castrol TXT Softec Plus 5w-30. In this case not only do they both meet the ACEA A3/B3 criteria but also the special needs of Mercedes Benz

Would there be a measurable difference in engine durability - well we don't know do we? But as I stated they "...will perform at almost similar levels in an identical application - the variance in the life of the engine will be virtually undetectable"

If you then introduce a lubricant into the equation that has not met or has not been submitted for testing against any of the comparable test criteria then the answer is we simply don't know!

Sadly random UOAs are not any substantiation one way or another

Extensive Lab and Field testing followed by end user monitoring provides the only real answer - so we can only go by this in a general sense. And by the established test criteria!

Royal Purple, Amsoil and M1 are all no doubt very good products when used as the manufacturer intended

Master!!!
thankyou2.gif

Doug Hillary said:
"Of course I can't substantiate it - but then I never said that one was better than another either and that was the point!"

My point was that when another poster attempted to "substantiate" his statement: Pablo's statement "Look at the UOA's. Car, truck, motorcyle. 20-25K. M1 is not a bad oil and years ago they were more even, but in the last few years in particular, Amsoil is better." You jumped on the comment and you said "Your comments about Amsoil being better quality than Mobil M1 simply cannot be justified od substantiated! UOAs will simply not do and I'm sure you know that!! So how do you suggest the proof be shown if not with UOA's on like vehicles? In fact a group did do a test, very unscientific I admit, but it did put MB1 against Amsoil. If you look at the UOA's the only thing amsoil failed at was that it seemed to thicken up out of grade, however it still kept wear metals down, over the entire test the wear metals for the amsoil was significantly lower than mb1. Would that be proof? All I'm saying is that when Paul attempted to show evidence proving his opinion (evidence that most posters here would except as evidence) you dismissed it outright and now you make an unsubstantiated claim and expect a free pass?

Last edited:
Hi,
k9jadon - This is a Post under the Shell Helix thread by Gary Allen. I have Posted it here because as a professional who is also an Amsoil Site Sponsor he is also an honest pragmatist

STARTS

We're all seeking the holy grail of oils, vo, but I've found that no such oil exists for all users. Delvac 1 is what I consider, in my experience, about the best oil out there. Unfortunately, it's even more expensive than comparable Amsoil and only comes in the 5w-40 flavor.

..but that's not the final end all. Some producer may come up with a very good oil for all users in all climates in all services ..but it probably won't manage to handle a sludge prone engine. The oils of today are better than they have ever been in deposit control, imo, yet we have sludge prone engines that lay them to waste ..with relative ease.

No oil is perfect ..and sooner or later even a minute accumulation becomes an issue that degrades the performance of the engine. We're usually far enough along in the ownership to not really notice it. Like most things, the degradation is so slight, over such a long span, that we just can't detect it.

ENDS

Gary Allan has always had my greatest respect - his Post should confirm his professionalism in the mind of many other BITOG Members

I have used all of the above, but am most impressed lately with Schaeffers for performance/value. Does any Schaeffers make it Down Under for you guys to use?

Hi,
bmwtechguy - I've never seen Schaeffers lubricants for sale here but I live in a small Tropic tourist community about 1200kms from the nearest big City - Brisbane. They could well be on sale in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney I expect!

Schaeffers sponsored a Super Sedan racing series in New Zealand during 2006-7 at least so they are in the South Pacific!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
RP-sucks

Amsoil-The Best!

28.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
RP-sucks

Amsoil-The Best!

28.gif

25,000 mile oil
100,000 air filters
25,000 mile oil filters
all from the same company

anything else advertised with that quality?
18.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back