Need thoughts on Royal Purple, MB1 and Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Look at it this way, Amscoil and Royal Purble are almost twice the price of Mobile 1, but are they twice as good??

Not sure where you came up with the price comparison, but if you compare like size containers of Amsoil and M1, they are very close in price. And if you compare the quality of M1 to Amsoil, Amsoil is a better oil. In fact I have seen M1 quarts that cost more than Amsoil quarts, so I really don't need to think too hard on which oil is better.

Off hand, I believe the Royal Purple at the local Walmart was in the neighborhood of $6.50+ per qt, and sitting right next to $21.97 5qt. jugs of Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Not sure where you came up with the price comparison, but if you compare like size containers...

Off hand, I believe the Royal Purple at the local Walmart was in the neighborhood of $6.50+ per qt, and sitting right next to $21.97 5qt. jugs of Mobil 1.

How much are the single qts of M1? $5.99?

Sure M1 will beat the other synthetics in purchase price, I'm just saying apples to apples it's not 2X.

Hi,
Pablo - It appears that you have been totally infected by Amsoil "speak"

Your comments about Amsoil being better quality than Mobil M1 simply cannot be justified od substantiated! UOAs will simply not do and I'm sure you know that!!

It was a very unfortunate comment from you

This is indeed a very sad situation!!

Regards
Doug

Doug - So tell me why you think M1 is superior. I know their 0W-40 and 5W-40 are fairly awesome oils, but two oils don't make a whole line up. As a whole Amsoil does formulate better oils than Mobil. Mobil is huge, Mobil has a HUGE R&D budget, but it seems a pretty big marketing budget as well. Call me "infected" and call my comments "unfortunate" if you like, but this is not a "sad situation". The OP asked for thoughts on three oil blenders. I stated mine. I would never call you any name for favoring M1.

Thanks,

Paul

The classic Amsoil vs Mobil debate. LOL

Both are great and more similar than different. In Amsoil's own testing, Mobil is always a close 2nd. (MC oil white paper, Gear oils, PCMO's) Amsoil makes great oil, no doubt about it.

I also think it depends on the specific oil you are talking about, markets they deal with (large public retail vs MLM), industry tests they officially meet and how often they reformulate.

For example, the additive package that Amsoil uses in the ASL/ATM looks identical to what Mobil was using 4 years ago. High boron/Ca. The Mobil 1 we see now is approaching GF-5 additive levels it seems.

Both are very high quality. Availability of Mobil 1 is great. They have been the only large oil maker, until PP came along, to produce a high quality synthetic that meets more industry specs than any other PCMO I know of readily available. I never put Syntec (US) in the same league as Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: bangtango
Guys,
New to site but a long term gear head. Have been using Mobil 1 for ages, now thinking of changing, no problems just change for changes sake. Got 70K on Ford Expediation, used MB1 all of its life since new. Got a 06 4cyl Escape and have used Royal Purple, again no problems. Got a 98 GT Mustang with 50k, using dino but was going to change to either Amsoil or Royal Purple. Can get the Amsoil for about 8 a qt, Royal Purple is 8 a qt @ Pep Boys, and the MB 1 at Wal Mart goes for 24 for 5 qts plus a 10% discount. Thoughts????

bangtango,

I'm a Mobil 1 fan and use it in both my car and truck since bought new. At my local Pep Boys I too wanted to try Royal Purple just to see how my autos react to them BUT after seeing that price per quart you'll never see me use it. It simply just cost too much for my pocket book. Besides how much different can one synthetic oil be along side each other? Naaah Unless you like the color purple then I'd stay with M1. My two cents on that.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango

bangtango,

I'm a Mobil 1 fan and use it in both my car and truck since bought new. At my local Pep Boys I too wanted to try Royal Purple just to see how my autos react to them BUT after seeing that price per quart you'll never see me use it. It simply just cost too much for my pocket book. Besides how much different can one synthetic oil be along side each other? Naaah Unless you like the color purple then I'd stay with M1. My two cents on that.

Durango

It sure would be nice if you could get all RP grades for the same price as the 5w20. You can get the 5w20 for $5.99/qt with free shipping to your doorstep.

Last edited:
Hi,
Pablo - I never made the call - you did!!

You said;

""And if you compare the quality of M1 to Amsoil, Amsoil is a better oil."

I asked that you substatiate this quite ludicrous statement!

As you well know, you can't!

I make no claims for any product and I do NOT work for any Oil Company. I consistently use three Oil Companies products - Castrol, Shell and Mobil

Regards
Doug

Folks - a few reasons I think Amsoil lubricants are better.

We all know it's difficult to do a generic comparison. Maybe ideally - pick a car and engine (a sample of 20-30 of that car for each oil), a given location, driving route, driver control, etc - then each oil company pick their best oil for that application. Do UOA's with ferrography, particle counts, tear downs, radioisotope tracking, etc. I doubt that would even come up with a winner.

I'm not trying to start a war, these just my thoughts.

1) Amsoil does not compromise on additives to save a few pennies. As with all companies, cost is a concern, but not a driver. I freely admit Amsoil had their weakest moments in the early 2000's and found themselves quite equal with M1 and in some cases lagging. I think this was due to some weakness in the R&D lab and some formulas where they relied on their suppliers too much, but they listened and learned and came out much better in the long run. Amsoil buys high quality base oils and additives, Mobil does too.

2) Amsoil has lead the USA consumer market for extended drains, without flinching. We quibble about a few PPM's of metals in a UOA's, but Amsoil keeps performing. UOA's indeed do NOT show everything, but what other oils post with some regularity in the 15K+ OCI range? Who else publishes a clear OCI guideline for their various products? Mobil seems to jump all over the map.

Amsoil OCI guideline: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

3) Amsoil has a more rounded lubrication line available to the general public. Do the other synthetic manufacturers offer a synthetic SAE 30 HDEO and an synthetic SM additive level 0W-30 and a synthetic 5W-30 HDEO and a synthetic 20W-50? Motorcycle oils, boat and PWC oils, small engine oils, scooter oils, four 2-cycle engine oils…..all easily available. I didn't mention the gear oils, tranny fluids, greases, fuel additives, etc. And excellent filtration products. Are all these products the BEST in in each class? No they aren't, but some are, and all are near the top. Do I wish they had even more products? Of course!

Amsoil Timeline: http://www.amsoil.com/timeline.aspx?zo=515729

4) If you run the correctly specified modern oil of any base oil, group II and above, for under 3K miles, in the average USA NA car, it doesn't really matter for wear in the long run. Drop the temp below 0°F, have a turbo, go to 5K-10K-15K+ oci's, drive hard in 100°F+ weather - I would recommend a good synthetic oil. M1 and Amsoil will do fine, Amsoil will do better in the hot because frankly it won't shear (as the 0W-40 and some of 5W-30 formulas do) and Amsoil doesn't seem to show the anecdotally observed Fe spike in certain engines. I know I'll get heat for this, but it's there! Is this Iron spike a super bad thing? No it probably isn't. Will it effect longevity of the engine? Probably not. Maybe it's indicative of how well M1's deposit prevention additives work. Is the shearing always a bad thing? No absolutely not. I have a tendency to thing the M1 0W-40 is designed to shear to SAE 30 range. On the same token, when the old formula Amsoil motor oils (really only the HDD 5W-30 now) moves into the SAE 40 range, people should not get alarmed either - because frankly it still protects very well.

5) If you buy $75-$100 worth of Amsoil lubricants in a year period, becoming a preferred customer makes the prices nearly the same and in some cases lower than M1. When I see standard M1 5W-30 in my local store for $7.99 a quart, it's really a no brainer because stacked up against Amsoil ASL 5W-30, I'm sorry but $5.80-$7.80 a quart, Amsoil is a better value. Now gallons are $22.75-$28, so yes M1 is a little lower purchase price in bulk from Wal-Mart.

This no means a hit on M1 products. These are my biased observations - I readily admit I have a bias - this no huge secret with the icon by my name every time I post. But honestly even if I was not an Amsoil dealer, I highly doubt I would use Mobil products. Why do you think I got into Amsoil in the first place? I wanted something better than M1.

Everyone is totally free to think M1 is better than Amsoil, or that they are equal.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi,
Pablo - You have still not in any way justified your quite ludicrous claim! And I add - you can't!

The latest Post is just another Post along Amsoil "speak" lines. It was your unsubstantiated hit on M1 that prompted me to Post here!

I have no doubt you believe that Amsoil products are good. They probably are too but no better than many many others. The danger I feel is that you now believe that Amsoil lubricants are so superior to others of similar specification you have lost your objectivity. They simply are not any better at all!

So be it though, you derive your income from promoting the Amsoil Brand on this Forum. 26360 Posts confrm it!

This Post was obviously a genuine desire by the original Poster to compare three products - I'm reasonably sure it was not intended to be a vehicle by which we get Amsoil lubricants rammed down our throats - and Amsoil speak too!

Regards
Doug

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Pablo - You have still not in any way justified your quite ludicrous claim! And I add - you can't!

The latest Post is just another Post along Amsoil "speak" lines. It was your unsubstantiated hit on M1 that prompted me to Post here!

I have no doubt you believe that Amsoil products are good. They probably are too but no better than many many others. The danger I feel is that you now believe that Amsoil lubricants are so superior to others of similar specification you have lost your objectivity. They simply are not any better at all!

So be it though, you derive your income from promoting the Amsoil Brand on this Forum. 26360 Posts confrm it!

This Post was obviously a genuine desire by the original Poster to compare three products - I'm reasonably sure it was not intended to be a vehicle by which we get Amsoil lubricants rammed down our throats - and Amsoil speak too!

Regards
Doug

Please do not put words in my mouth. This is not "Amsoil speak" these are my words. There is no "hit" on M1, I go out of my way to not make it a hit. M1 is not worried about Amsoil when they clearly have PP eating their market share. In some ways Amsoil products are better and in some ways they aren't. I am not ramming anything down anyone's throat. I clearly state my bias, and clearly state why I write the things that I do. Do you think I shouldn't be able to do this?

And do you truly think you have zero bias?

Hi,
Pablo - You said this;
" And if you compare the quality of M1 to Amsoil, Amsoil is a better oil."

You cannot substantiate your statement because it is simply untrue!

Perhaps you should have been humble enough to have admitted your "error" without all the Amsoil hype and the attempt at some sort of obscure justification

IMHO the greatest strength of BITOG is in a general sense the objectivity of most Posters. And of course the abscence of influence from the Major Oil Companies

Oh and Amsoil speak is there all right - a case of "not seeing the wood for the trees" perhaps?

The best Marketers don't knock the products of their competitors

Regards
Doug

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Amsoil is the better of the two by far. And I don't use or sell Amsoil.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Always looking for new information. I've used a lot of different oils, and I'm interested in listening.

Can you elaborate? And what are you using?

Doug - would this: "Mobil 1 is a better oil than Amsoil", elicit the same response from you?

After your answer I'm done with this thread. I answered the OP's question with my thoughts, I did not mean to stir you up.

Pablo - YOU made the original comment!
Please accept that responsibilty

All I requested was for you to substantiate it!

I would have expected the same response from you if I had made such a ludicrous statement in the first place!!

Regards
Doug

Don't worry Pablo, Doug Hillary just likes baiting people that use Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: bangtango
Guys,
New to site but a long term gear head. Have been using Mobil 1 for ages, now thinking of changing, no problems just change for changes sake. Got 70K on Ford Expediation, used MB1 all of its life since new. Got a 06 4cyl Escape and have used Royal Purple, again no problems. Got a 98 GT Mustang with 50k, using dino but was going to change to either Amsoil or Royal Purple. Can get the Amsoil for about 8 a qt, Royal Purple is 8 a qt @ Pep Boys, and the MB 1 at Wal Mart goes for 24 for 5 qts plus a 10% discount. Thoughts????

Are you posting this in the right area? None of the cars you listed have diesel engines.

I'm not trying to start a war, these just my thoughts.

1) Amsoil does not compromise on additives to save a few pennies. As with all companies, cost is a concern, but not a driver. ....Amsoil buys high quality base oils and additives, Mobil does too.

Mobil has the capability of making their own base stock to their spec, Amsoil does not. Having more additives does not mean that the oil is better. All Mobil oils meet or exceed whatever specs that they were designed for so having more additives than necessary is just a waste of money and hence the higher retail cost.

2) Amsoil has lead the USA consumer market for extended drains, without flinching. We quibble about a few PPM's of metals in a UOA's, but Amsoil keeps performing. UOA's indeed do NOT show everything, but what other oils post with some regularity in the 15K+ OCI range? Who else publishes a clear OCI guideline for their various products? Mobil seems to jump all over the map.

Amsoil extended drain policy is not without a catch. Amsoil requires the use of their filters (bypass included) with a very specific oil to get the extended OCI. Mobil does not get into the extended drain business because it is not what the general public wants. Mobil can make an extended drain oil that is better than Amsoil if they want to. Mobil makes jet oil that has a drain interval longer the life of most car.

3) Amsoil has a more rounded lubrication line available to the general public. ......

Mobil is a world wide company with many lubrication products that Amsoil is not capable of producing. Some of those are: aviation oil, marine oils (steam and gas turbine oil, trunk piston oil), heat transfer oil, refrigeration oils, etc. Mobil 1 is a factory fill for many vehicles where Amsoil has none. Overall, Mobil has more SKU for lubricant than Amsoil. Mobil also has custom lube products for the DoD and the aerospace industries.

5) If you buy $75-$100 worth of Amsoil lubricants in a year period, becoming a preferred customer makes the prices nearly the same and in some cases lower than M1. When I see standard M1 5W-30 in my local store for $7.99 a quart, it's really a no brainer because stacked up against Amsoil ASL 5W-30, I'm sorry but $5.80-$7.80 a quart, Amsoil is a better value. Now gallons are $22.75-$28, so yes M1 is a little lower purchase price in bulk from Wal-Mart..

There are many more places that you can buy M1 oil compare to Amsoil. You can get M1 at pretty much any Walmart, AZ, Checker, Pepboy, Napa, or Chevy dealers. So if you figure in the shipping cost then the Amsoil is more expensive. If you go outside of the USA then you are really out of luck with Amsoil.

This no means a hit on M1 products. These are my biased observations - I readily admit I have a bias - this no huge secret with the icon by my name every time I post.
Paul

We know that you are bias toward Amsoil and I also believe that Amsoil is one of the very good oil out there. But, dollar for dollar I don't think that Amsoil is that much better than M1 if any.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Mobil has the capability of making their own base stock to their spec, Amsoil does not. Having more additives does not mean that the oil is better. All Mobil oils meet or exceed whatever specs that they were designed for so having more additives than necessary is just a waste of money and hence the higher retail cost.

I didn't say MORE additives are better. I said better quality. And yes Amsoil does get some base stocks from Mobil, but that does not mean there aren't sources of better base stocks that Mobil.

Amsoil extended drain policy is not without a catch. Amsoil requires the use of their filters (bypass included) with a very specific oil to get the extended OCI. Mobil does not get into the extended drain business because it is not what the general public wants. Mobil can make an extended drain oil that is better than Amsoil if they want to. Mobil makes jet oil that has a drain interval longer the life of most car.

Actually you are incorrect. Amsoil does not require a bypass filter for extended drains, or even a EaO full flow filter. Well maybe Mobil could make any oil they want. That's a bit silly. Jet oil. OK.

Mobil is a world wide company with many lubrication products that Amsoil is not capable of producing. Some of those are: aviation oil, marine oils (steam and gas turbine oil, trunk piston oil), heat transfer oil, refrigeration oils, etc. Mobil 1 is a factory fill for many vehicles where Amsoil has none. Overall, Mobil has more SKU for lubricant than Amsoil. Mobil also has custom lube products for the DoD and the aerospace industries.

Well please don't ignore my words....I wrote "Amsoil has a more rounded lubrication line available to the general public..." Actually you might be surprised what oils Amsoil makes and for whom. But I have no doubt Mobil makes more industrial lubes, but that wasn't my point.

There are many more places that you can buy M1 oil compare to Amsoil. You can get M1 at pretty much any Walmart, AZ, Checker, Pepboy, Napa, or Chevy dealers. So if you figure in the shipping cost then the Amsoil is more expensive. If you go outside of the USA then you are really out of luck with Amsoil.

True enough, but some NAPA's, True Value, and yes Auto Dealers sell Amsoil. Sure I don't dispute Amsoil is slightly more expensive. Canada, Singapore, Malaysia, England aren't in the USA last time I checked and you can get Amsoil there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back