Need struts, how's Gabriel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never bought struts before and this is for my girlfriends car. Just want something quality. This is for a 2001 Toyota Solara.

Gabriels are on sale right now at my local store that I prefer shopping at. Other stores have other types. Are Monroe's Better? or worth spending more money on?

If they are the same quality wise I prefer getting the Gabriels since its at my prefered store.

Thanks

I'm really looking for a nice soft ride. Performance is not a consideration. I don't think I can get KYB's locally.

Since the Gabriels and Monroes are locally available that means if they ever wear out I can get them replaced for free. I like that.

The four Parts America fronts sell KYB online and you can pick them up at one of the retail outlets which means free shipping. That's Advance Auto, Checkers, Schucks & Kragen.

For what it's worth I've been happy with the KYB GR2's I put on my Bronco that I got from Advance Auto.

Calvin

Gabriel is just fine for a stock replacement, we have some on a 1997 Camry, it still handles terribly albeit much less terribly, but i believe it's due to the chassis design not the shocks. As far as i know, they weaken relatively quickly so that warranty should come in handy.

Bilstein doesn't seem to make struts for this vehicle. I couldn't find a part number on their website.

As long as the quality is OK, I think I'm going with the Gabriels and saving my pennies.

The Solara stock struts went dead in relatively short fashion. So it wont be hard for Gabriels to outlast OEM struts. I agree Max that these things don't handle all that well. I am amazed how poorly this car handles (and the Camrys I've driven are the same) compared to most other cars.

Because of rebates and a sale I can get the Gabriels for $220 OTD and that is available today locally. KYB's are $400 and I have to order them. It may be worth it but since I don't have to drive this car as much, she does, I don't want to spend $400. Plus it will probably still handle poorly because it has always been that way since new.

Update: I just got back from the store and I'm halfway done with the front. What a PITA, I hate struts. Makes me long for changing shocks on my truck. The front struts have zero compression. They just collapsed. Mounts are bad so I had to buy those too. Ouch!

BTW I bought the Gabriels. Monroes are same price as KYB's and I don't feel like spending $400 right now on this car especially since the mounts were toast as well. My local store where I purchased them is always good about warranties. So I am not concerned about that. And they gave me 10% off just because it was me, so for the price I can't complain. Lifetime warranty on the mounts as well.

I guess I will see how they work. I'm sure they will work well enough for this car.

Thanks for the replies

Yes I see Gabriels have a %20 rebate. They have a decent tutorial on their website. They were making shocks 10 years before Monroe.

I have used both Monroe and Gabriel. The rebate might sway me as well................I might buy the strut assy that is totally assembled with strut, spring and bearing etc "ready mount?.

Last edited:
i would suggest getting the preassembled strut. monroe calls it the quick-strut. on those camry applications if you dont have the strut lined up perfectly on the mount, they will clunk and will ruin eachother very quickly.

Gabriel shocks are very good for the money

I had some one my old 73 C-20 truck. They had a life time warranty and after 15 years they still worked great.

I wanted to use Gabriel shocks on my new truck, but there was no place local that would sell them. eBay didn't even have them.

I have not tried Gabriel struts. I have use Monroe struts and if I had to buy struts again, I would not get Monroes

If you go to gabriel.com they show places that sell them. I believe Sears shocks and struts are Gabriel.
They also have a good tutoriol video at the site.

I just ordered 2 readymounts and 2 regular struts for 2 Dodge FWD vans. -20% from JC whitney

United States Retail Stores:

All Pro
Auto Value
AutoZone
Blain Farm & Fleet
Bumper to Bumper
CARQUEST
GI Joe's
J.C. Whitney
Les Schwab
Meineke
Midas
Mills Fleet Farm

Canada Retail Stores:
Auto Sense Auto Parts
Bestbuy

Independent Autoparts
Kal Tire
NAPA Auto Parts

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I believe Sears shocks and struts are Gabriel.

theyre monroe. partly why i didnt want to work there anymore, i was tired of installing sub quality parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back