Need some help selecting oil

Ok so I have a favor to ask there is no poll function on here anymore I found, so there are way more qualified
people than me on here and I want to get the best protection within reason for my money for my truck. I
have read allot but am still more confused than before because of all the variables that come into play.
Anyway cut to the chase, I have spent several years rebuilding my old International scout II it is a 79'
with a brand new 79' 350 chevrolet 4 bolt main engine I built myself it has a stock turned 0.030 crank
with premium series Clevite bearings, a Melling high volume pump with bolted on pickup tube kit. A
new pan, 0.030 Speed Pro hypereutectic flat top w/valve relief pistons, Eagle rods, block decked 0.020,
rebuilt 461 heads, Comp Cams extreme 4x4 cam, Comp Cams lifters & push rods, Cloyes double roller
timing chain, Weiand action plus intake, Quick Fuel Technologies carb, Accel Supercoil, HEI distributor,
headers, Weiand high volume aluminum water pump. Not that any of that matters but just to give you an
idea of what I am working with. I want to use an oil that will protect my flat tappet cam hopefully
without additives or with if needed. It will be driven as a daily driver on occasion but not all
the time just for periods of time for about two or three weeks. I want to give it the best protection
possible to make it last. I know eventually I will have to rebuild the engine but I want to prolong
that as long as possible by taking good care of it. I just started it a few weeks ago and did a break
in I used the comp cams break in additive they recommended and I believe it was 5w30 Mobil
Delvac standard non snythetic oil. I have a Perma-Cool dual filter system and am about to
change the break in oil out for the new oil. Wanted to get everyone's opinion on what oil I
should consider for this build. I appreciate any and all responses and will use this information
to make my decision thanks in advance. Here are a couple photos

Dave

IMG_20170828_183512.jpg
IMG_20170828_183557.jpg
IMG_20170828_183543.jpg
IMG_20200507_191147799.jpg
DSC_0157.JPG

Last edited:
You have a lot of money in that engine, and with care and sensible use there's no reason to expect to have to rebuild it any time soon. Take a look at Amsoil's Z-Rod classic-car oil, which has extra ZDDP (zinc) for flat tappets in older engines. It's available in 10W-30, 10W-40, and 20W-50. Amsoil has several engine oils, but check the specs for Z-Rod.

An alternative is Red Line's motorcycle oil, which is available in these viscosities and has high ZDDP. I wouldn't see any harm in running this, as it meets API SJ, but other members might disagree. Red Line is more expensive than Amsoil.

I hope this helps.

Do you have an lumpy cam with heavy valve springs, or is one of the milder ones? If the spring pressures are not too high, you can just use any modern xw30 or xw40 oil. If you're running a more aggressive cam, a 15w40 diesel rated oil like Shell Rotella T5 will have higher levels of anti-wear additives. Also Castrol VR1 20w50 is another oil that is often touted as great for flat tappet cams.

It's quite a bit bigger than stock with matching stiffer springs and push rods stock lift is like I think
.390 exhaust lift and this one is split .480/.462 with 270/262 duration.

Dave

IMG_20170707_160425.jpg

I'm fairly cetain I will double check but I think this is the specs for the springs;

COMP Cams Valve Springs

Installed Height (in.):
1.700 in.
Seat Pressure at Installed Height (lbs):
105 lbs.
Open Height (in.)(application):
1.250 in.
Open Pressure (lbs):
273 lbs.

Valve Springs, Single, 1.254 in. Outside Diameter, 370 lbs./in. Rate, 1.150 in. Coil Bind Height, Set of 16

Dave

Do you have an lumpy cam with heavy valve springs, or is one of the milder ones? If the spring pressures are not too high, you can just use any modern xw30 or xw40 oil. If you're running a more aggressive cam, a 15w40 diesel rated oil like Shell Rotella T5 will have higher levels of anti-wear additives. Also Castrol VR1 20w50 is another oil that is often touted as great for flat tappet cams.
I'll +1 this and offer a correction that VR1 is made by Valvoline

Castrol does have a new Classic 20w-50 oil at Walmart which would likely put OP in the same ballpark as VR1 of 1000+ ppm of ZDDP

As I see it you have at least a couple choices. You can go down the racing oil path. There’s plenty of good motor oil’s on the market for racing applications with flat tappets. Most manufacturers make a flavor for you. The other option is using a HDEO. These have decent ZDDP levels and generally are less expensive than racing oils and will likely provide the same protection for your application. HDEO’s can be found in synthetic blend and full synthetic to fit your need. There are also 10w30, 5w40 and 15w40 viscosities to meet your needs.

Me personally I’d choose the HDEO. They are available at many retailers in the necessary viscosity. You might have to try a viscosity to see what oil pressure is like based on your bearing clearances.

Just my $0.02

I appreciate it guys

Dave
I Don't believe the ZDDP is going to be a big problem. Correct lubrication of the cam on install is really important. I had a failure of an Edelbrock cam which was supplied with some synthetic lube. My gut told me to go with the traditional Graphite but you live and learn. I would stay away from Racing oils unless racing and changing after every race. Maybe Castrol EURO 0w40

Last edited:
Back