Mobil Delvac Extreme 15W-40 CK4

I have had this Oil in my 16 Ram 3500 CTD now for 2 months. It is Mobil Delvac Extreme 15-40 full synthetic. My concern is the low Virgin TBN.

Attachments

• MOBIL DELVAC-201215.pdf
    181.5 KB · Views: 951
Blackstone re-ran the TBN for this virgin sample and it came back 8.5...

Mobil also makes a Delvac Extreme synthetic 10w30 as well. Didn’t know about that. Not many synthetic options out there for 10w30, nice to know amsoil and RLI arent he only ones offering it now.

Mobil also makes a Delvac Extreme synthetic 10w30 as well. Didn’t know about that. Not many synthetic options out there for 10w30, nice to know amsoil and RLI arent he only ones offering it now.

High Performance Lubricants makes an HDEO in 10w-30 as well. I'm running it in my Tahoe currently.

The PDS on Mobil's website states that the TBN starts 10.3

I have serious doubts about the accuracy of the Blackstone results.
TBN of 4.7 on the first run and a rerun showed 8.5. That is a HUGE variance. Which value are you going to believe? The website's 10.3? 4.7? or 8.5? Does Blackstone have an explanation for why the variance is that big? Did they say it was a problem with the way you collected?
It would be interesting to send in a UOA at 5,000 miles and see if the TBN goes up. If it does, then nothing is believable from Blackstone.

VOA and UOA threads like this make me wonder if we are not being scammed and will push me towards changing the oil at a shorter interval.

It shows that testing oil is not trivial and decisions should not be based on $30 analyses.
I've been in HPL's lab and have witnessed the process of calibrating equipment before tests are run, including TBN. If you want repeatable and predictable test results, to say it is not trivial is an understatement.

You can't run samples through quickly and expect accurate results.

I've been in HPL's lab and have witnessed the process of calibrating equipment before tests are run, including TBN. If you want repeatable and predictable test results, to say it is not trivial is an understatement.

You can't run samples through quickly and expect accurate results.

Exactly. I know when HPL uses ICP in their lab, they will focus on each element for up to 5 minutes. The mass labs like Blackstone, ALS, and Polaris... 10 seconds each, 15 max.

Exactly. I know when HPL uses ICP in their lab, they will focus on each element for up to 5 minutes. The mass labs like Blackstone, ALS, and Polaris... 10 seconds each, 15 max.
And the ICP manufacturer's recommended calibration takes about an hour. HPL has designed their own calibration that takes three hours and give them more consistent testing results.

Back