need samples for rubber/vinyl lube/preserve test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to release my Lube/Preservative Study.
fighter.gif

It uses US/Canadian/EU spec sheets to group the products. I also note those with petrochemicals and/or silicone oils. Using the study effectively will require your super-imposing your biases concerning the categories. I find this to be inadequate.

As I noted, there are no apparent tests that we can go to. I am proposing doing a simple life-stress test.
stirthepot.gif

Steps:
1. I will purchase off-the-shelf door seal "rubber" and dash repair "vinyl" from the local auto part place.
2. I will cut the "rubber" into 6 inch lengths, and the vinyl into 2 inch squares.
3. I mount these on a board, and put it on a post facing south where it will get all the sun (UV) and weather available (no shadows, or hills)
4. Following directions, reading twice before using, I will apply the products as directed.
5. Once a quarter, I will report the results here. If there is something really interesting I will post a digital photo.

6. I am NOT RICH. If you have a favorite product, send me an email [email protected] for instructions on where to send me a small sample (enough for 6 inches rubber, and 2 square inches of vinyl. Contributors of product will get special notes on the relative performance of their products as something is visible.
cheers.gif

6a. an alphabetically ordered "suggestion" list is below. Please! do not post/email your suggestion of what does/does not belong the list. The only valid input at this time is delivery to me of test samples.

This is likely to take many months, if not years. I LOVE "Put up or Shut Up Challenges!"
hornets_nest.gif

303 Products Aerospace Protectant
Amorall
brake fluid (non-silicone)
brake fluid (silicone) ??
DuPont Krytox GPL 105
DuPont Krytox GPL 205
Einszett, aka "1Z", Gummi-Pflege
GM 3634770 seal/weatherstrip Lube
GOODRICH® AgeMaster® No. 1 Rubber Protective Agent
Griot's Vinyl and Rubber Dressing
Kano Labs Gearope
Kano Labs Kroil
Kano Labs Lubricone
Kano Labs Molyfilm
Kano Labs Penephite
Kano Labs Slikene
KPC Rubber Cleaner and Preservative
Lexol
Meguars M40 - Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner
Meguiars G136 NXT Generation Tech Protect
Meguiars M38 - Tire & Trim Protectant
Meguire's G41 Natural Shine Rubber and Vinyl Protectant
Mequiars G106 - Gold Class Vinyl/Rubber Protectant
MIL-P-11520F rubber preservative
Mothers® Protectant, ??
NewCT "SealLube"
ONE GRAND DO-IT-ALL
Polywater® Rubber Goods Cleaner
POR-15 ® BOSS GLOSS VINYL PRESERVATIVE
Saddle Soap, good cleaner, neutral otherwise
Silicone Based Lubricants
SmartDressing
Sonus Tire & Bumper Dressing Gel
Sonus Total Eclipse
Stoner Trim Shine
STP Son-of-Gun Protectorant
Vinylex
VW G 052 172.A1 seal/weatherstrip lube
VW G 060 172.A3 seal/weatherstrip Lube
WD-40
Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick
Zymol Seal
Zymol Vinyl

Einszett, aka "1Z", Gummi-Pflege is not the orgiinal BMW product with the outstanding reputation. The BMW product is clear and gel like and soaks in rubber. It came in a metal tube with applicator. However, It is no longer available. Just wanted to let you know there is a significant difference in the products.

Awesome! I will be sending you KRYTOX! Let's see what it's made of. I am sure that Colt will be anxious with the results, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back